LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

I need a shotgun but what kind?

Old 12-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
I need a shotgun but what kind?

So I was notified by a friend who lives three houses down the street that he and his roommate were robbed at gunpoint a couple days ago in their own house. I decided then and there that I needed to get a shot gun because i don't want to have to shoulder, aim, and shoot any of my rifles (even though they are an sks, ak, and m4) when I can just boom it if I need to.

So if you don't feel like reading that, I need a good self defense shotgun and don't really know what to get. I'm looking at a remington 870 or mossberg 500 or 590. What do you guys think, I want everyones input!
Old 12-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
NotaTaco is on a distinguished road
NotaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I love mossbergs... I hhave the 500 persuader tactical 12 ga. and I love it, i bought it for that exact reason, the police and military units use it for "personel suppression" but i usualy keep 8 shot in it, big enough to take someone out, but small enough to give a good spread, unlike a deer slug.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
mossberg 500.................ftw!!! relatively inexpensive gun, but great gun!! never have had a problem with mine...and i have 2 (one is a mossberg maverick 88....same as the 500).
Old 12-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
+1 on the 500. take out the plug & load it up! never had any problems with it.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #5
stratton will become famous soon enough

stratton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaflaw123 View Post
So I was notified by a friend who lives three houses down the street that he and his roommate were robbed at gunpoint a couple days ago in their own house. I decided then and there that I needed to get a shot gun because i don't want to have to shoulder, aim, and shoot any of my rifles (even though they are an sks, ak, and m4) when I can just boom it if I need to.

So if you don't feel like reading that, I need a good self defense shotgun and don't really know what to get. I'm looking at a remington 870 or mossberg 500 or 590. What do you guys think, I want everyones input!
I have a rem 870 that I love. But I use a pistol for home defense. I think you should get a shorter bird barrel. Thats better for close range. A 28" barrel like mine will hold the shot really close together in short ranges. You want it to spread out faster for indoor use. that way you can shoot from the hip in worst case scenario.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:22 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance
jolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SSgt 6332
Name: Jim
jolayiv's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jolayiv
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
mossberg 500.................ftw!!! relatively inexpensive gun, but great gun!! never have had a problem with mine...and i have 2 (one is a mossberg maverick 88....same as the 500).

Maverick 88 FTW. You can really acc. these things for pretty cheap.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:22 PM   #8
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sounds like the mossberg 500 it is. About how much should I expect to pay for it?
Old 12-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #9
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
I got mine years ago and dont remember exactly how much i paid, but i wanna say it was around $250
Old 12-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #10

The Sheriff's here use 870's. I think they are more reliable.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #11
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaflaw123 View Post
Sounds like the mossberg 500 it is. About how much should I expect to pay for it?
they have them at dicks sporting goods for right around $200, or $260 for the 500 with the field barrel, and a slug barrel with scope.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
they have them at dicks sporting goods for right around $200, or $260 for the 500 with the field barrel, and a slug barrel with scope.
sweet!
Old 12-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #13
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I bought an 870 magnum for hunting (up to 3.5" shells). My buddy has two mossberg 500's which seem every bit as good. If money's an issue, I'd go with the mossberg. After buying the 870 and having shot both, I think you can get just as good a gun for a little less with the mossberg. BTW, you can get different stocks, grips, barrels for either of them to customize it for your purpose. For instance the "youth" models are often the same gun with just a smaller stock on it. You might be able to replace the stock cheaper than buying the full size model. That's what my friend did.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #14

damn that is cheap. When i bought my 870 i paid over 500 for it. I got the extra barrels but still. I wonder if i can get a used one even cheaper to through in the duck boat just a beater gun. I hate scatching new guns.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #15

I know about aftermarket stuff. I'll prob put a few things on there to make it a bit more tactical. maybe a flashlight or something
Old 12-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #16
Professional High Fiver
Oh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really nice

Oh_Six_Taco_4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Bonelli makes a nice tactical shotgun with a pistol grip. $.02
Old 12-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #17
40204ever is just really nice40204ever is just really nice40204ever is just really nice40204ever is just really nice40204ever is just really nice

40204ever's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to 40204ever
I grew up with Remington 870s. I bought a home defender with a black poly stock. I pulled that off and put a collapsable CAR stock with the pistol grip. This makes it compact and versital. You can point and click or shoulder it. I keep it in my taco for wild hogs on the county road.

Whatever you get, load it with buckshot. Slugs are great when you have time to aim.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:32 PM   #18
NotaTaco is on a distinguished road
NotaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
$250
Old 12-14-2008, 06:34 PM   #19

good. I was thinking it was gonna be more towards 500
Old 12-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #20

They sell the 8 shell extender at cheaper then dirt for about 30 bucks i think. I think once the new adminstation get in the office they will make that a permanent ban. So ya better act fast.