Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Bought my first handgun need some advice

Old 04-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #41
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
The range offers a 4 hour class for $189 does that seem reasonable?
Not really. Maybe for concealed carry qualifying but you're in IL so I doubt that's the case. An intro to guns course like NRA Basic Pistol should run $150 or less for 8 hours in a classroom setting that may or may not include range time. Sorry I don't have a contact east of the river but I wouldn't shell out $189 for a basic pistol class unless it included a range membership or something.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #42
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Also print this target chart out and take it with you. It'll help you out a lot.
http://www.gunlink.info/targets/PistolChartR1St.jpg
Old 04-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #43
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
hmm... if that's 189/person for 4 hours, that sounds a bit high to me for an introductory class..., maybe it's an advanced class,... ask them what is involved in the class and what ability level it caters to... if this is a first for you and your daughter, i'd recommend going w/ someone who offers an introductory course (first steps, first shots, etc) that includes both classroom and range instruction...
Ya, it depends on the instructor and range but it does sound a little high.

That's a little over $45/hour. The range has to shut down, or at least reserve "x" number of lanes for the class, and my local range generally gets $20-$30 per lane between the lane and targets and most shooters are only there for 30-45 minutes (add another $25 if they buy a box of range (reload) ammo).

Sounds like the range is just trying to make sure they aren't losing money to the class compared to a normal day.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #44
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Ya, it depends on the instructor and range but it does sound a little high.

That's a little over $45/hour. The range has to shut down, or at least reserve "x" number of lanes for the class, and my local range generally gets $20-$30 per lane between the lane and targets and most shooters are only there for 30-45 minutes (add another $25 if they buy a box of range (reload) ammo).

Sounds like the range is just trying to make sure they aren't losing money to the class compared to a normal day.
when i was a newb i took a introductory course 3 hrs or so classroom and range, for like $70... well worth the money!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #45
ninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Nick
ninja_taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
Also print this target chart out and take it with you. It'll help you out a lot.
http://www.gunlink.info/targets/PistolChartR1St.jpg
Wow that is a good one. Thanks for posting
Old 04-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #46
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good to know that I should point it the right direction lol. So I'm assuming the range master is a guy who keeps everyone in line like the bouncer at a titty bar? What kind of ammo should I buy to shoot at paper targets? It's a 9mm semi auto. I mean is there some brand or type that's better for target practice.
Put down the 9mm and get (borrow?) a 22lr pistol with similar controls and you and she get familiar with that before loading up a 9mm.
Trust me, it's the proper starting point and a good trainer for the rest of your shooting lifetime.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #47
L J will become famous soon enoughL J will become famous soon enough

L J's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Put down the 9mm and get (borrow?) a 22lr pistol with similar controls and you and she get familiar with that before loading up a 9mm.
Trust me, it's the proper starting point and a good trainer for the rest of your shooting lifetime.
I can get a 22LR conversion kit for this pistol or buy a 22 they are pretty cheap. I'm trying to find an NRA class for us to take together. Reading the manual now so I know how to take it apart and clean it etc. I like to know how stuff works inside and out before using it. Guy at the store recommended a brass brush for cleaning instead of the plastic one that came with it. Does that sound right?
Old 04-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #48
frog
jamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
jamtoz's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Konaborne;4871581]The gun is always loaded.
know it, know it well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm9uG5bPubw[/QUOTE]`

same here always handle it like its loaded
Old 04-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #49
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I can get a 22LR conversion kit for this pistol or buy a 22 they are pretty cheap. I'm trying to find an NRA class for us to take together. Reading the manual now so I know how to take it apart and clean it etc. I like to know how stuff works inside and out before using it. Guy at the store recommended a brass brush for cleaning instead of the plastic one that came with it. Does that sound right?
yep, probably bronze, ...but yeah those are better than the nylon ones... just remember, whenever you run a brush through the bore, never reverse direction of the brush stroke until it's clear of the muzzle... oh, and make sure you run a patch wet w/ solvent or oil through before brushing..
Old 04-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #50
Phlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Phlip4x4Sport's Tacoma Gallery
as an additional recommendation.. when you go to fire it for the first time only load one round in the magazine. There is a good chance after you fire the first shot you will be distracted by all sorts of thoughts of what you just did, how loud it was, etc. You are better off with an unloaded gun at this point. Load one round at a time until you are sure you don't lose your focus after the shot.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #51
meeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

meeestirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
^ there's a guy in your area that supply's me my reloads. 280 for 1000 .45 and 165 for 1000 9mm

yeah i reload myself.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #52
L J will become famous soon enoughL J will become famous soon enough

L J's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
as an additional recommendation.. when you go to fire it for the first time only load one round in the magazine. There is a good chance after you fire the first shot you will be distracted by all sorts of thoughts of what you just did, how loud it was, etc. You are better off with an unloaded gun at this point. Load one round at a time until you are sure you don't lose your focus after the shot.
Sounds like good advice.
Quote:
yep, probably bronze, ...but yeah those are better than the nylon ones... just remember, whenever you run a brush through the bore, never reverse direction of the brush stroke until it's clear of the muzzle... oh, and make sure you run a patch wet w/ solvent or oil through before brushing..
Thanks. It is bronze. Bought a cleaning kit today.
Finished reading the manual that came with the gun a couple times and it did mention pushing the brush all the way through the barrel before reversing direction. I could see the brush getting hung up if you didn't push it out the end. Anybody recommend good books on shooting? Too much junk information on youtube to sort through.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #53
cluznar is on a distinguished road
cluznar's Tacoma Gallery
Bought my first handgun

Watch videos on gun safety online

Take a class to learn proper handling and shooting

Practice a lot
Old 05-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #54
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
Be safe, treat it as if it was loaded.

Find a basic pistol course, the NRA has good ones. I found mine for a day long course for about 150 I think, but it was for an 8 hour course on an outdoor range. There were other people shooting there as well a little ways down (sideways from me) the range. This was a concealed carry class that I did when my mother did hers (I was 16....can't carry still). I know for a fact that there were one or 2 people there who had never shot before. They were taught with a .22 pistol.

You may want to buy the .22 conversion for the gun to learn with. I learned with .45 LC revolver and that was a mistake, if the pistol kicks too much, you WILL develop a flinch that is hard to break. start by learning with a lighter kick, the 9mm may have a light enough, but I haven't shot one in a while and when I did, it was a compact that kicked pretty good (I thought).

Do you have any friends who have handguns?

They may know a range that they can take you too to teach you, if they know enough, its how I learned, but my friend was an NRA pistol coach and retired marine.

Either way, good luck, be safe, and enjoy it.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #55
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Should mention my daughters 29 so really she's kinda towing me along.

pics?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #56
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
also http://georgia-arms.com/selectbycaliber-2.aspx

i normally buy blazer brass from walmart for plinking its usually the cheapest locally