Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Bought my first handgun need some advice

Old 04-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
L J will become famous soon enoughL J will become famous soon enough

L J's Tacoma Gallery
Bought my first handgun need some advice

Haven't ever owned a gun but my Daughter is interested in shooting so it's another way for us to have fun together. We plan to go to the local indoor range for our first time. Anybody willing to help the FNG out? I really know nothing about it. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
NRXTM is a jewel in the roughNRXTM is a jewel in the roughNRXTM is a jewel in the roughNRXTM is a jewel in the rough
NRXTM's Tacoma Gallery
um..... be safe
Old 04-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
What are you wanting to know? Good you and your daughter can to this together
Old 04-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Swerve for nothing
saundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
saundern's Tacoma Gallery
keep it pointed down range.
ask the range master if you have any questions, better to be safe than sorry
Old 04-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Don't do anything with the gun until you've had someone show you how to properly handle it.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Best advice is to pony up a few bucks for a handgun safe handling class by an NRA instructor.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #8

L J's Tacoma Gallery
Good to know that I should point it the right direction lol. So I'm assuming the range master is a guy who keeps everyone in line like the bouncer at a titty bar? What kind of ammo should I buy to shoot at paper targets? It's a 9mm semi auto. I mean is there some brand or type that's better for target practice.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #9
Throughhonor is on a distinguished road

Marines: 2/25 Garden City NY
Name: Ryan
Throughhonor's Tacoma Gallery
Just make sure you set yourself as a good example, always keep the muzzle downrange. Coming from New York i cant tell you how many times the guys from the city have flagged me on indoor ranges. And the other biggie is dont touch the trigger unless you are ready to fire
Old 04-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
ninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Nick
ninja_taco's Tacoma Gallery
full metal jackets for target practice sir
Old 04-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
Throughhonor is on a distinguished road

Marines: 2/25 Garden City NY
Name: Ryan
Throughhonor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
Good to know that I should point it the right direction lol. So I'm assuming the range master is a guy who keeps everyone in line like the bouncer at a titty bar? What kind of ammo should I buy to shoot at paper targets? It's a 9mm semi auto. I mean is there some brand or type that's better for target practice.
try cheaprthandirt.com and you dont need anything special but dont get blazzers they are the dirtiest rounds out there
i usually shoot these or gold dot at ranges http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM4360-1.html
Old 04-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #12

L J's Tacoma Gallery
I'll look into the NRA instruction. Hope they have something nearby without a long waiting list. Are these listed on their website?
Old 04-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
Go to a firearms training class before you attempt anything on your own, especially with daughter in tow. Good luck!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #14

L J's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the quick responses and advice so far. Hard keeping up on my phone. What does being flagged mean? I'll look up full metal jacket to see what that's about. Don't worry guys I'm not some crazy kid with a gun. Actually more of an old guy. What should a training course cost. I just looked up a free hunting course offered by the state DNR. Would this be worth while or should I go for something offered by the NRA?
Old 04-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #15

L J's Tacoma Gallery
Should mention my daughters 29 so really she's kinda towing me along.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #16
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Teach Her the basic rules.

Treat all firearms as if they were loaded.
Never point the firearm at something you are not willing kill or destroy.
Finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
Check all background and know what is behind your target.

I'd start her off with 2-3 rounds at a time just for safety.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #17
Bring Yuengling To MN!
angrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

angrysam's Tacoma Gallery
The indoor ranges around here won't let you on the range with aluminum cased ammo. I'd call yours and verify or just make sure to buy brass.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #18
aznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aznutx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
Teach Her the basic rules.

Treat all firearms as if they were loaded.
Never point the firearm at something you are not willing kill or destroy.
Finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
Check all background and know what is behind your target.

I'd start her off with 2-3 rounds at a time just for safety.

pretty much the best advice ever concerning handgun safety right here

had personal experience with a teacher's husband who killed himself cleaning his gun he thought was unloaded, even if it's not loaded always pretend it is, u never know there coulda/woulda been a bullet stuck inside a mag that popped up and loaded itself or something of the freak of nature kinda thing, better safe then sorry
Old 04-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #19

L J's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be at the range/store on Saturday picking up the gun so I'll ask them about what ammo is ok to use there. Again thanks for the advice so far. It's definetly helping me get an idea about how to get started. I'll keep checking back and let you know how it's going.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #20
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
go to the range/store and tell them you are new. they will help you. they dont just stick a gun in your hand and let you go.

flagging means pointing the weapon at a person/persons.

basic rules:

-TREAT EVERY GUN AS IF ITS LOADED
-KEEP YOUR FINGER STRAIGHT AND OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO FIRE
-NEVER POINT THE GUN AT ANYTHING YOU DO NOT INTEND TO SHOOT
-KEEP THE WEAPON ON SAFE UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO FIRE

just tell the rental desk that you are new, and when you enter the range tell the range safety officer you are new and they will help you out.