Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Carry recommendation for wife?

Old 04-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #21
atalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant futureatalladega has a brilliant future

atalladega's Tacoma Gallery
Wife carries a Taurus 38 Special revolver, 5 shots on her person most of the time if she's going somewhere late night. Nice shooting gun, pretty inexpensive, lifetime warranty, good stopping power, not too much kick. And I think important if someone were to grab the gun it can still shoot multiple shots without having to slide and eject a shell. Only drawback is 5 shots but....if you need to shoot more that 5 times....
Old 04-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #22
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
OP,
the "right" answer is the one she will be comfortable carrying and shooting... this may take some time to find what fits right, ...and she'll need to decide "where" to carry it (i know you mentioned purse, ...but i'm big on on-body carry, ..because that's the safest bet for retention and access in case of need) - appendix, strongside, strongside CCW (4 o'clock), middle of back (not recommended)...

there are holsters now that can help women conceal really well w/out much change in clothing style - check out this site, this chick does a ton of thorough reviews on hosters and guns from a girl's perspective (plus it's good eye candy to watch )
http://www.faliaphotography.com/p/photos-of-my-van.html
Old 04-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #23
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauange View Post
Thanks for everyone's input. Thus far she hasn't gotten into any really bad situations and pulling a gun would be her absolute last choice. Often times it isn't the fathers that she feels threatened by. It's the mothers and even more so the boyfriends or new husbands. She's had a situation where she had to confront a boyfriend about allegations of sexual abuse and he went irate. She also has a case where the mom's new boyfriend has three felony convictions with one being assault. I've offered to go with her when she feels that a situation might be bad in advance but she's trying to get both parents and kids to open up and talk to her. She worries that they won't if it looks like she is afraid buy bringing protection.

Wow. I just can't believe they are sending her into people's houses to do this. Why not set the meeting up in a public place? She's at a huge disadvantage being in someone else's environment.

They can't get her a deputy to tag along on the ones that she feels uncomfortable on? Concealed carry gives her a way to defend herself, but it isn't going to prevent the conflict from occurring. I'd rather the parents, boyfriends, etc be uncomfortable and intimidated, than the sole female legal representative.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #24
Ka like a wheel
F75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
F75gunslinger's Tacoma Gallery
+1 to anyone who said take her out and get her shooting. Let her try any and every gun she can get her hands on. One will fit her hand like a glove and instill confidence. Find something that is good for her to handle recoil-wise as well. Some women will be ok with a 38 or 380 in a small revolver or pistol,while some will hate the snap of the recoil in something so small and prefer something bigger.Just help her with advice and guidance and let her decide what's good for her.

Another part of this is how she's going to carry it. If it isn't comfortable or convenient it will be left behind . So talk to her about that and have her talk to other women if you can. Have her ask them about any questions she might have. Plain and simple,most shooters have what they like,but a man isn't going to be able to answer all her concerns.

Another thing to keep in mind..any of the compact/sub-compact autos and any type of snubbie revolver are far from confidence instilling. They're difficult to shoot because of the short sight radius. So something a bit bigger carried in her purse may be better if she's one to keep it by her side. Easier to conceal is great,but it won't do a bit of good if she can't hit repeatedly with it.

Make sure she knows that it isn't to be pulled in hopes of deterring someone either. If she pulls it she needs to be ready to use it. If she's not it can be taken from her and used against her.Many have gotten killed with their own guns.

I can't think of anything else right now..but hopefully this helps !
Old 04-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #25
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
Coming from someone who carries everywhere but to the gym and to the bar...and taught more than 1 girlfriend how to shoot and walked them thru getting CWPs

I REALLY don't like the subcompact .380s for females because many of them find the kick to be so unpleasant that they wont even have anything to do with it

My favorite carry guns are my Keltec PF9 and my S&W 642 airweight

I have bigger options...and smaller ones...with larger and smaller calibers...those 2 seem to provide the greatest combo (for me) between caliber, kick, comfort, and everything else

With that being said, in the OP's situation...if she can reliably shoot a subcompact .380 without hating it...that would be a fantastic option because theyre so easy to hide...i've just found that a lot of people wont shoot them even at the range because of the snappiness...and if you wont shoot it at the range then you wont get proficient...and then its of no use
Scary...we agree again.
380 subcompacts are narrow and the recoil is amplified because of the narrow grip.
SW 642 is the original point and click interface.
She doesn't even have to clear her purse to get an effective shot off.
Stick to small, quality 38special revolvers.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #26
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oowen View Post
.38 cal with +p bullets
i like this..S&W Lightweight. awesome piece
Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #27
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Handgun

My wife carries a Taurus 85, 38 Spl, 2", stainless. Loaded with 125gr JHP +P. Can also get it with a bobbed hammer.

If recoil is a problem, same gun in 327 Federal.....plenty of punch, less recoil.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #28
cluznar is on a distinguished road
cluznar's Tacoma Gallery
Carry recommendation for wife

Let her look at these:

Bersa Thunder .380
Taurus Millennium Pro .32 acp
Beretta Tomcat .32 acp
Ruger SR9c
Taurus Slim 9mm
Walther guns