Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

colt defender to the face!

Old 04-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
beaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: scott
beaver_scott's Tacoma Gallery
colt defender to the face!

i purchased a colt defender and after waiting months for its arrival it finally arrived so i got to take it shooting this past weekend. it is a really nice pistol, however.....it ejects the empty brass right into my forehead. since it is brand new i have tried to call colt for repair but the phones are constantly busy. anyone else have a 1911 style pistol with the same issue and/or know of any fixes that a non gunsmith could perform?
Old 04-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
kessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to behold

kessler89's Tacoma Gallery
i'm not trying to sound like a smartass but you're probably limp wristing it, that's what causes 99% of brass in the face
Old 04-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
drtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dru
drtydru's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kessler89 View Post
i'm not trying to sound like a smartass but you're probably limp wristing it, that's what causes 99% of brass in the face
Haha! Classic.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #4
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the ejector needs to be adjusted.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
beaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: scott
beaver_scott's Tacoma Gallery
definitly no limp wristing. I have a lot of experience with shooting pistols, using correct stance and grip. Ive had 2 other people shoot the gun (one a 1911 enthusiast) both producing the same results. i've put 250 rounds through the gun but how many classifies the colt defender as being "broke in"? ive checked the ejector with a loaded round and it seems really tight, vigorous shaking usually won't cause the round to drop free from the ejector. would being too tight cause the rearward ejection?
Old 04-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
Check out this forum -- you are not the only one having the problem:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=336234
Old 05-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Revival...
Did this ever get fixed? I noticed in my buddy's 1911 it was doing this. His ejection port isn't lowered and flared like mine. Same make too. His is a gi and mines a milspec.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNDrew View Post
Fixed
Old 05-18-2012, 01:43 AM   #10
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Quote:
Fixed
What a stupid "fix".
Old 05-18-2012, 03:00 AM   #11
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
What a stupid "fix".
Wasnt aware this was an anti-joking thread. Please accept my most sincere appologies for offending you.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:57 AM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wasnt aware this was an anti-joking thread. Please accept my most sincere appologies for offending you.

Nice edit
Old 05-18-2012, 05:48 AM   #13
Bajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS: Remote Duty Paramedic
Bajatacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver_scott View Post
definitly no limp wristing. I have a lot of experience with shooting pistols, using correct stance and grip. Ive had 2 other people shoot the gun (one a 1911 enthusiast) both producing the same results. i've put 250 rounds through the gun but how many classifies the colt defender as being "broke in"? ive checked the ejector with a loaded round and it seems really tight, vigorous shaking usually won't cause the round to drop free from the ejector. would being too tight cause the rearward ejection?
You're confusing the ejector with the extractor. Tuning the extractor would be my first step- there are videos of this on-line.

Incidentally, while the 1911 is more susceptible to limp-wristing than many other guns it tends to cause stovepipes, not cases to the head.

I'm also curious what TNDrew posted (already edited)- if it was a Glock that would really be funny since they are having all sorts of issues with their current guns kicking brass back at the shooter.