Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Dan Wesson 357 Long Barrel

Old 04-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
PCHearn has a spectacular aura aboutPCHearn has a spectacular aura aboutPCHearn has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: During Viet Nam
Name: Patrick
PCHearn's Tacoma Gallery
Dan Wesson 357 Long Barrel

I have a Dan Wesson 357 with a 15" VR barrel that I bought new in 1980. I've searched and searched, but I can't find out what it's worth anywhere. Can any of you gun experts give me an idea what I could get for it? I have the original box and the tool to remove the barrel. Thanks for any help you can give me. Oh, the dark area on the barrel is just a shadow.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCHearn View Post
I have a Dan Wesson 357 with a 15" VR barrel that I bought new in 1980. I've searched and searched, but I can't find out what it's worth anywhere. Can any of you gun experts give me an idea what I could get for it? I have the original box and the tool to remove the barrel. Thanks for any help you can give me. Oh, the dark area on the barrel is just a shadow.

GOOD LAWD that's a long barrel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
TacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet -11B
Name: Randy
TacoRan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
GOOD LAWD that's a long barrel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats what she said
Old 04-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
My god that thing is awesome haha
Old 04-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoRan View Post
Thats what she said
I saw that coming...
Old 04-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
ask the Joker.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
Hahah that things awesome.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
"It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools..."
Old 04-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Whitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud of

Name: Whit
Whitster's Tacoma Gallery
Checkout: http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx...an+wesson+.357

There are a bunch but don't see anything with that long a barrel.
Just the 'frame only' are going for ~$260, w/barrel/s $300 to $450.
It's a good gun. I have one with a 6" barrel.
It was a good idea just didn't gain any traction with the shooting market.

Whit
Old 04-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
PCHearn has a spectacular aura aboutPCHearn has a spectacular aura aboutPCHearn has a spectacular aura about

PCHearn's Tacoma Gallery
Whit - Thanks for the pointing me to gunbroker. I've looked there and all the other gun sites and there just isn't ANY of those 15" barrels out there. Does that mean it's worth more because it's rare, or it's worth less because nobody wants the long barrel? I wish I knew.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
Whitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud of

Name: Whit
Whitster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCHearn View Post
Whit - Thanks for the pointing me to gunbroker. I've looked there and all the other gun sites and there just isn't ANY of those 15" barrels out there. Does that mean it's worth more because it's rare, or it's worth less because nobody wants the long barrel? I wish I knew.
Like any unique item, it's worth a bunch to anyone looking for that particular combination. Not so much for carrying practicality.
Gunbroker has some shorter barrel/shroud combos. If you want to keep it I'd get one of those, at least a 4".

There is a 'gun values' book, it's over 2" thick. Go to any gun shop and see what the values are. If you want to unload it they'll probably take it on consignment.

Whit
Old 04-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
for some reference points:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr..._inch_barrel_s

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-409685.html

looks like you'd be able to get a pretty good price for the barrel alone

and then here:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/archive/...t-1321105.html

one guy mentions that only 50 of the 15" barrels were made...

one of the forums listed www.danwessonforums.com so you might check there and see about selling it

For the right price I may be interested
Old 04-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #13

PCHearn's Tacoma Gallery
tigerfan - Thank you SO MUCH for the great information. How did you find all that? I looked and looked and found nothing. I will go to the Dan Wesson Forum and see what I can find out. Again, thank you.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #14
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
google-fu

i typed in dan wesson 357 15 inch barrel and then browsed the brief summary under each result till i found stuff that sounded good
Old 04-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #15
wags is on a distinguished road
wags's Tacoma Gallery
The Dan Wesson .357mag w/15" barrel was very popular in early 80's for silhouette shooter's. A very accurate and strong revolver. Good luck on finding approx value.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #16
kessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to behold

kessler89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
The Dan Wesson .357mag w/15" barrel was very popular in early 80's for silhouette shooter's.
psh, i'd CCW that baby
Old 04-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #17
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
and I thought my 10"er was long.... (insert Barrel Envy jokes here)