Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Goin for Bow Hunting

Old 05-07-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
winL is on a distinguished road

winL's Tacoma Gallery
Goin for Bow Hunting

I've read some stuff about bow hunting and it sounds like an amazing sport. I've never even hunted. Going to read up on it first and of course practice with the bow for quite a while before I even step out into the woods. Anyone have tips on what to concentrate on? I know there's lots to learn, but what basic gear that's a must have before I dump money into useless items. Even the animals, what behaviors should I know? Hunting from trees, keeping my scent from being sniffed out. I know its a lot. But I gotta start somewhere

Thanks everyone.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
GP100 is a jewel in the roughGP100 is a jewel in the roughGP100 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Paul
GP100's Tacoma Gallery
I'd recommend checking out some archery specific forums like archerytalk.com. Read all you can, search on specific things you have questions on, and ask questions when you don't find the answers you're looking for. To start, I'd avoid big box stores and go to a pro shop where there are knowledgeable people that can measure your draw length and set up your bow properly for you. Shoot as many bows in your price range that you can because only you can tell what feels best for you. Don't over-bow yourself, just because you can pull a heavy bow back doesn't mean you should get the heaviest bow you can draw. A 60# bow can kill anything that walks on this continent. Beware the fan boys or shop owners that need to push a certain item. Get what feels comfortable to YOU. There are lots of accessory choices you will need to make, ask questions! Good luck to you, it is a great sport to get into.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Hulley is on a distinguished road
Hulley's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in your shoes right now. I've been a gun guy for a long time and I had a long bow as a kid that I used to hunt rabbits with. I've decided that I want to bow hunt now. Luckily for me I have a good friend that been bow hunting for over 30yrs and is there to offer some guidence.

I went to a Pro-Shop that he recommended and shot several bows. I went with a PSE Brute X in 70# but I have it adjusted down to 56# at the moment to work on my form. In hind sight I wished I went with the 60# but that doesnt matter in my case because the Brute X will go down to 50# safely.

Also I have a couple of friends that have acres and acres of land with plenty of hogs so I can at least get some practice in before deer season.

I've been praticing in my backyard quite abit and I have my 20yd groups pretty tight and my 30yrd groups are getting better. I'm not worried about 40-50yrds right now until I get my 20-30yrds consistant, however I do have my bow sighted at 20, 30 and 40yrds.

You are gonna find out real quick the muscles you are not used to using! I was pretty sore in the begining but getting better now. I'm 39 so now as strong as I was when I was 20!

I'm having more fun now then when I go shooting. Its definitly more challenging and even if I didnt plan on hunting I'd still want a bow for the fun of it.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
AG87BlkLX is on a distinguished road

Name: Andy
AG87BlkLX's Tacoma Gallery
If you can find a buddy to go with who is knowledgeable about hunting he/she will be able to help you out tremendously. There's a lot to learn & it's easier & more fun with friends. Ask questions & pay attention.

Try to stay as scent fee as possible. Wash your clothes in scent fee detergent & keep them in a scent free place until it's time to hunt. Try to avoid getting gas for your vehicle on days you hunt if at all possible. If you stop at a store before your hunt wear different shoes. You don't want gas, oil & other smells tracked at those places on your hunting boots.

Remember, animals spend all their time in the woods. The more time you spend in the woods the better you will understand them.

Don't base a successful hunt on whether or not you killed anything. I haven't killed a turkey this year but it's been my most successful turkey season to date, my 10 year old has killed two. Hunting is about the memories you create for a lifetime. This is an awesome sport & I wish you some awesome memories.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the heads up,Brock.

Im subbing this for later.........im at work and only have my phone with me.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
Cheese Head.
TheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
TheGrinch's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TheGrinch
Same, so much to say but on the phone at work will take forever. Subd and I'll chime in later. Been hunting since I was strong enough to carry a rifle and been bow hunting since 15yrs old.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #7

winL's Tacoma Gallery
So far, I've picked up:

Head to the pro-shops and ask questions and keep trying them out until I'm comfortable with one I like before a purchase.
And regarding scents, even if I step into any place with foot traffic I would need different shoes, THAT's how good their noses are. <- This last point is very surprising. I mean, even filling up gas within 24hrs?!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
Hulley's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=AG87BlkLX;5050422]
Try to stay as scent fee as possible. Wash your clothes in scent fee detergent & keep them in a scent free place until it's time to hunt. Try to avoid getting gas for your vehicle on days you hunt if at all possible. If you stop at a store before your hunt wear different shoes. You don't want gas, oil & other smells tracked at those places on your hunting boots.

Don't base a successful hunt on whether or not you killed anything. QUOTE]

Great info on the scent. And as my buddy says, "Thats why they call it hunting and not killing".
Old 05-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kameron
Maverick904's Tacoma Gallery
When you do get your bow..practice practice practice. Once its sighted in...get a pin set for 20 yards. and shoot only 20 yards. spend as much time as you can shooting 20 yards for one reason. muscle memory. everytime you shoot a bow you should have the same anchor point. find your anchor point and USE IT..EVERY TIME. consistency in shooting mechanics in the #1 key in successfully shooting a bow. once you can get your arrows inside of a silver dollar at 20 yards. set some other pins for different distances.

the only difference in shooting 20 and 30 yards is the pin you use. if you are sighted properly, use the proper mechanics, and the bow is tuned properly. you can shoot at any distance and get the same results.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
AG87BlkLX is on a distinguished road

Name: Andy
AG87BlkLX's Tacoma Gallery
If you have the money get a decent Rangefinder with ARC, angle range compensation. Takes the guess work out of how far the animal is. This will come in handy for a hunter. This is one item I make sure I leave the house with.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
Hulley's Tacoma Gallery
Practice is so very true.

What I'm struggling with is trigger control. I'll get a good group going but I always have a flyer and I know it as soon as I pull the trigger.

Any ideas on this?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulley View Post
Practice is so very true.

What I'm struggling with is trigger control. I'll get a good group going but I always have a flyer and I know it as soon as I pull the trigger.

Any ideas on this?
treat it like a rifle.

draw your bow back with your finger behind the trigger. when your ready to shoot do a slow pull. pull it so gently that the trigger basically falls after the arrow has been released and try to keep your hand at your anchor point.

naturally your hand will move after releasing the arrow, dont think it wont.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #13
Hulley's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick904 View Post
treat it like a rifle.

draw your bow back with your finger behind the trigger. when your ready to shoot do a slow pull. pull it so gently that the trigger basically falls after the arrow has been released and try to keep your hand at your anchor point.

naturally your hand will move after releasing the arrow, dont think it wont.
I've been trying to do that. So far I find it best to put some pressure on the trigger and smoothly pull back. Whats strange to me is that my rifles and some pistols have a much lighter pull than my release so its hard to train myself to do that. I guess thats why they call it practice.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #14
Resident Fishing Expert

yeah bow releases are a total different ball game due to the pressure they are under.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #15
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick904 View Post
yeah bow releases are a total different ball game due to the pressure they are under.
And some of them are adjustable as well. Not too fond of a hair trigger on a bow release. I usually keep mine stock.......but have only shot 2 releasez the whole time ive bow hunted.....a fletcher. 44 caliper....andthe scott little goose......which is awesome and has adjustability as far as length goes.

To the op......like most have said....shoot as many as you can and get a feel for it. You will want the bow set to your specific length........everyone is different. Practice practice practice....and when you think you are shooting good......practice some more. Practicing yaedage til you get it down works real good.....and ive found that shooting longwr distances and getting good at them helps you out alot with shorter yardage shots.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #16

winL's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks all.

I'll just get to the practicing first and when I get comfortable with that, I'll take the next step.