Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

anyone own a savage mark II f .22?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

Name: joel
Joels98taco's Tacoma Gallery
anyone own a savage mark II f .22?

ive been looking to get a bolt action .22 and found one at bass pro shops for $220 but was just wondering if they are any good or not. anyone have any experience with one? anything would help. thanks
Old 05-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Savage bolt actions are awesome. I'd be sure to get the heavy barrel and at least the laminate stock, if not the Tacticool stock. Still plenty light.

Mark II with laminate stock, cut to 16" and suppressor added. Since then I've added a Boyds' Tacticool stock and a Weaver 16x target dot scope. This is a typical 50-yd group with SK Standard Plus ammo.

I shoot a rimfire match with it: NRA 50 yd smallbore target pushed to 100 yds. Pretty crazy to watch the bullet drop that far.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

i was just looking at the synthetic with blued barrel and accutrigger got qoted about 250 out the door pretty decent for being bolt action. think i should jump on it? pretty reliable guns? any issues with it? plan on throwing a scope on it eventually
Old 05-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joels98taco View Post
i was just looking at the synthetic with blued barrel and accutrigger got qoted about 250 out the door pretty decent for being bolt action. think i should jump on it? pretty reliable guns? any issues with it? plan on throwing a scope on it eventually
I think I paid $299 from Bass Pro on sale for the laminated stock and bull barrel. The cheap polymer stock is crap. The extra $50 for the heavy barrel and nicer stock is well worth it in my opinion. No issues on my side, with hundreds of rounds down the barrel. The accutrigger is actually a limiter eventually - lots of creep before the break. For hunting it's OK but for targets I find myself asking "break, break, break" and then having to muscle it a bit. I'm considering the $100 Rifle Basix replacement.

Here's what I have in factory form:
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIBV
Old 05-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
meeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

meeestirg's Tacoma Gallery
i have a savage Mark II fv-sr

these were my shots with various ammo on it's first day at the range. 50 yards 4mph wind going east.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #6

dont get me wrong both of those guns are very nice but heres the one ive been looking at

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIF

i like to keep it simple. and for the price i like it even more
Old 05-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #7

It's going to string shots more due to the thinner barrel when it heats up, and you'll spend money getting a base/bases later for the scope you're planning for, and that stock isn't going to free-float the barrel, but its your money. If you're shooting squirrels or soda cans, you'll probably never notice. If you're shooting for groups, you'll quickly wish you bought a nicer version. It's your money and decision. Let us know what you end up with.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
meeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
dont get me wrong both of those guns are very nice but heres the one ive been looking at

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIF

i like to keep it simple. and for the price i like it even more
yeah, that's pretty much my gun minus the 16" fluted bull barrel and picatinny rail. i think with a 21" barrel though, you are wasting energy due to extra friction. for a .22lr try not to go past 18". i forgot to mention, i think the stock stocks are shiet, they are toy like.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #9

honestly ill probably only gonna be plinking beer cans or shotgun shells. but i want something ill be happy with. i saw this one at a local store but the sights are overkill dont you think?

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVT this one was about 400
Old 05-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeestirg View Post
yeah, that's pretty much my gun minus the 16" fluted bull barrel and picatinny rail. i think with a 21" barrel though, you are wasting energy due to extra friction. for a .22lr try not to go past 18". i forgot to mention, i think the stock stocks are shiet, they are toy like.
my marlin has a 21" barrel and i can shoot shotgun shells at 100 yards but then again it probably depends how it was sighted in
Old 05-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #11

Quote:
my marlin has a 21" barrel and i can shoot shotgun shells at 100 yards but then again it probably depends how it was sighted in
oh yeah, i'm sure it works or they wouldn't have made it that way. but that is just what i've been told by some .22lr enthusiasts at gun shops when i was shopping for my rifle.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #12

so what dont you like about the stock? my deer rifle has a synth stock
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/stevens200
i know they feel cheesy but ive had no issues with that rifle whatsoever. and ive shot probably 200 rounds out of it
Old 05-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #13

Quote:
i know they feel cheesy but ive had no issues with that rifle whatsoever. and ive shot probably 200 rounds out of it
To me it's all about what limits you from gettting to the next level in accuracy, if you want it. That stock is going to flex, and not free-float the barrel. If you're OK with the accuracy you're getting, then there's zero reason for you to change. But all things being equal, a free-floated, properly bedded action in a rigid stock is going to shoot smaller groups than a factory action in a flexible polymer stock.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #14

the barrel on my stevens is a floating barrel but is that a good thing? i would think the more places its attached to the stock is better
Old 05-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #15

Quote:
the barrel on my stevens is a floating barrel but is that a good thing?
Absolutely. A floated barrel means no pressure on the barrel, and zero pressure = consistent pressure from shot to shot. Problem with those polymer stocks is when you go to sling up for that shot on the elk, or when you add that bipod for the bench, it's going to flex and probably not be free floated at that point. If you can grab the barrel and the stock at the tip and squeeze them together, that's no good.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #16

oh ok i see what your saying but i dont think a 22 makes that big of a difference since there isnt much power involved right?
Old 05-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #17

Quote:
that deer rifle's stock and the markII's stock are totally different. the markII's stock makes the gun feel like a toy. my gamo air rifle has a better feeling and looking stock than my markII. well i have no idea what you look like maybe your body will adjust to it better than mine did. i'm 5"10" and 145lbs.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #19
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeestirg View Post
that deer rifle's stock and the markII's stock are totally different. the markII's stock makes the gun feel like a toy. my gamo air rifle has a better feeling and looking stock than my markII. well i have no idea what you look like maybe your body will adjust to it better than mine did. i'm 5"10" and 145lbs.
ever shoot a ruger 10/22? feels like a kid's toy in most adults hands. but you know what? the rifle still rocks!!

this thread got me in trouble with the wife .. i asked her to get me this for my birthday. haha. bottomline..shooting beer cans is good fun. .22? cheap good fun. my friend has one, and his is super accurate. i want this one. my friends farm has a rodent problem!

http://www.basspro.com/Savage-Mark-I...10218514/80485
Old 05-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #20

Most 22s feel like toys anyways. My brother has a 10/22 and is happy with it but I just don't like the fact that semi automatics jam up so damn much. Reason why I'm leaning towards a bolt action.