LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Making some new 1911 grips

Old 05-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
geoff06 is a jewel in the roughgeoff06 is a jewel in the roughgeoff06 is a jewel in the rough
geoff06's Tacoma Gallery
Making some new 1911 grips

Hey guys, just thought I'd post up a shot of the 1911 grips I'm making from some nicely figured myrtle.
I'm gonna drill the mounting holes last, after I round out the bottom rear of both and notch the right side for the magazine release. Then I'll hit it with 1 last coat of finish.
I've worked with a lot of woods but this is the first time I've worked with myrtle, and so far I'm liking it more than the walnut I've made grips from in the past.

Edit- they don't really have flat spots even though it kinda looks that way. There are multiple lights reflecting off them

Old 05-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
That is some purty wood. I would think that getting the mounting hole locations right would be a mite difficult. I am klutz enough that I'd probably have to drill the holes first and sand the grips down to fit the frame.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
geoff06 is a jewel in the roughgeoff06 is a jewel in the roughgeoff06 is a jewel in the rough
geoff06's Tacoma Gallery
Haha yeah, I hear what you're sayin, that's how I started out. I eventually made a template that I use now. With the right tools (namely a stationary belt sander and/or hand planes), a typical pair of grips can be shaped/drilled in a pretty short amount of time. So far I really like working with myrtle, and the piece I made these from was sitting outside for months and exposed to vast temperature fluxuations, so it's really nicely seasoned.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be terrified to drill the grip screw holes after investing all that work. I know razor sharp drill bits perfectly centered wont chip the wood, but still, the risk is spooky