Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Need a pistol

Old 12-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Need a pistol

Looking for a good pistol. Don't know much about them at all just want something good not to expensive. It will most likely just be for target shooting, squirrels, and self defense.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
jscott is on a distinguished road
jscott's Tacoma Gallery
If you want to shoot squirrels get a .22.
Auto's Ruger or Browning Buckmark
Revolvers just about every manufactur has good ones.If I was going to buy a revolver i would look for Ruger Single Six.Single Action Old West six gun style.With 22 long rifle and 22 magnum cylinders.

Edit:I see your only 17.Gonna have to find someone over 21 to get it for you or wait 4 years.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
yup. CZ also makes a good .22 for a rifle. people use it all the time for target shooting. and its pretty decently priced
Old 12-26-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
I got a Ruger 10/22 for the squirrels, Im looking at buying a Springfield XD Sub Compact or Compact 4" for a carry/range gun
Old 12-26-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
40204ever is just really nice40204ever is just really nice40204ever is just really nice40204ever is just really nice40204ever is just really nice

40204ever's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to 40204ever
Buy a shotgun.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on the shotgun, unless you are planning on getting a concealed carry.

I'd go with a Mossy 500c .20 gauge self defense version (what I have) w/ the pistol grip and a sling.

EDIT- make sure you purchase a mag estension also, if you go the shotgun route.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:23 PM   #9
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
looks to me like you're describing 2 different guns....

for plinking squirrels and such I'd suggest a .22.
Buddy of mine has a "Henry US survival rife" it's a .22 rifle that all fits in to it's own stock with 2 8 round mags. Disassembled it would fit perfect under the access cab seat. he can also assemble it in around 30 seconds.
the .22 of course lacks knockdown power.

You could go the handgun route. I personally am a fan of Glock. The only potential problems could be that it is not exactly a spread like a shotgun and you'd have to ask yourself "under pressure am I 100% sure I am going to shoot my enemy before he shoots me"

If you aren't looking to carry, I would go with a shotgun. There is a nice tactical version of the Mossberg 500. You will have more forgiveness in your shot. You run less risk of going through walls and such. Also you can kill those damn birds that keep shitting on your truck
Old 12-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNut View Post
looks to me like you're describing 2 different guns....

for plinking squirrels and such I'd suggest a .22.
Buddy of mine has a "Henry US survival rife" it's a .22 rifle that all fits in to it's own stock with 2 8 round mags. Disassembled it would fit perfect under the access cab seat. he can also assemble it in around 30 seconds.
the .22 of course lacks knockdown power.

You could go the handgun route. I personally am a fan of Glock. The only potential problems could be that it is not exactly a spread like a shotgun and you'd have to ask yourself "under pressure am I 100% sure I am going to shoot my enemy before he shoots me"

If you aren't looking to carry, I would go with a shotgun. There is a nice tactical version of the Mossberg 500. You will have more forgiveness in your shot. You run less risk of going through walls and such. Also you can kill those damn birds that keep shitting on your truck
For everyone... Have an 11-87 12g shotgun. Have a BB gun for squirrels but shooting them (trying to shoot them) with a pistol would be fun too. It would be mostly for protection (not carrying) and target shooting. Thanks for all for help
Old 12-27-2008, 04:13 PM   #12
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Here ya go, best of both worlds:

http://www.savagearms.com/24f12.htm

Not a pistol, but like phantom said you're gonna have a heck of a time squirrel hunting with a pistol.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:29 PM   #13
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
What you got against squirrels????..................

Old 12-27-2008, 04:41 PM   #14
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by archerytarget View Post
either the Henry survival .22 or the Henry lever action .22 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
Here ya go, best of both worlds:

http://www.savagearms.com/24f12.htm

Not a pistol, but like phantom said you're gonna have a heck of a time squirrel hunting with a pistol.
Looking for a pistol... Just forget the shooting squirrels part. I want a pistol... What is a good pistol under 500? I would be willing to buy used. Looking at Beretta.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:43 PM   #15
PaulVthe3 will become famous soon enoughPaulVthe3 will become famous soon enough

PaulVthe3's Tacoma Gallery
The neos is a great pistol. So is the ruger MK2 or 3.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:40 PM   #18
Professional High Fiver
Oh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really nice

Oh_Six_Taco_4x4's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on the XD. You probably don't want to shoot at squirrels with a pistol. I bought a really nice .22 long rifle from a pawn shop for $75. It was a good buy and fun to shoot. As far as carry, I carry a Glock 27 or a .38 S+W airweight with a crimson trace grip. Love them both. The XD is a blast to shoot too. $.02
Old 12-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #19
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh_Six_Taco_4x4 View Post
+1 on the XD. You probably don't want to shoot at squirrels with a pistol. I bought a really nice .22 long rifle from a pawn shop for $75. It was a good buy and fun to shoot. As far as carry, I carry a Glock 27 or a .38 S+W airweight with a crimson trace grip. Love them both. The XD is a blast to shoot too. $.02
I don't get what you mean by carry? Like all the time? Walking down the street?
Old 12-28-2008, 12:03 AM   #20
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Getting a pistol at 17 is kind of pointless IMO. You aren't even legally allowed to OWN one, let alone buy one.

If you want something for small game and plinking, go with a .17 HMR rifle, not a pistol.

I personally plan on getting a CZ 452 American in .17 HMR with a decent scope for plinking whenever I have the funds. Going to run about $400 probably.