Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Man Shoots Charging Boar, Close Range .45ACP (vid)

Old 05-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #41
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Not always true. Get between momma and the piglets once.

Just 90 lbs?
90 lb-ers are delicious! the ranch lady doesnt want (especially the males) to get to big before slaughter. probably a cost of feed thing.

and the momma pig thing? my friend grabbed 5 piglets and stuffed them into his jacket. momma abandoned ship. she was gone..i was scared..my friend is insane. the scenario did not play out like i thought it would.

besides..that video. momma and piglets are a moot point.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #42
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
90 lb-ers are delicious! the ranch lady doesnt want (especially the males) to get to big before slaughter. probably a cost of feed thing.

and the momma pig thing? my friend grabbed 5 piglets and stuffed them into his jacket. momma abandoned ship. she was gone..i was scared..my friend is insane. the scenario did not play out like i thought it would.

besides..that video. momma and piglets are a moot point.
Depends on the situation and the pig really.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #43
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Feral hogs are fucking scary. If that shit ran at me, i would keep squeezing until it stopped moving.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #44
Ron F. Swanson
JaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JaSkynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
I see them go through hunter's dogs like skittles during the season all the time.
I love dogs but that's hilarious.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #45
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSkynyrd View Post
I love dogs but that's hilarious.
Yea, we tell hunters not too get attached to their dogs while pig hunting. A lot of the real attack dogs have cauliflower looking ears (or none), with nasty scars etc. Some of the real Tred Barta type guys bring staple guns with them so that when a dog gets slit open by a boar, they can staple the wound shot until they can get from the field to a vet clinic. Serious business for a god damn pig..
Old 05-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #46
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
Proves to you that .45 is not the end-all of pistol rounds. He almost had to reload!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #47
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
So where's the "graphic" part?
Old 05-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #48
Banned
sunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to behold
sunflower's Tacoma Gallery
Ive hunted boar with a knife in Hawaii and a 7.62 in Texas. A real man with a knifekills a board faster than many guys with a rifle.

The "hunter" in this video is a horrible shot and I really hope he didnt go out planning to kill boars with that handgun. That fact that he was filming makes me think he did.

Videos likes these hurt the hunting cause and turns people off that might otherwise not be opposed to hunting and guns.

Also, I have people who have told me that a .45 can stop and drop a charging grizzly bear. The .45 in this video couldnt drop a retreating 90lb boar and that boar was definetly NOT as angry as I have seen them before.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #49
Country101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to all
Country101's Tacoma Gallery
Guys, dont jump on this guy so hard. Yes, I wish all kills were 1 shot kills where they dont even flinch, but the fact is that aint gonna happen more often than not even with a decent to very good hunter. Most of those shots would have killed the hog. The fact that we watched it for the rest of the time is the only differance. If it would have wandered away and then they found it thirty minutes later, no one would think anything about it. Pigs are stinking tough. I know; I have killed or caught about 150-200 of them in the last couple years. That pig was dead long before the video ended. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what the guy did. Whether you kill it close or at a distance, it is still humane to shoot it again. If the first one dont take, rinse and repeat. I personnally had to shoot a bull in the head 10 times to get it to drop from 10 ft. Not one shot missed. It just didnt hit the exact spot it needed to drop it. Nothing inhumane, just not as clean as we would care for.

And I would not be expecting a hog to retreat. There is a girl up the mountain here that would tell you otherwise. Her arm got messed up good. The only reason she didnt get tore up worse is thier collie ran in. They spent a couple grand getting that dog fixed up afterwards.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #51
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower View Post
Ive hunted boar with a knife in Hawaii and a 7.62 in Texas. A real man with a knifekills a board faster than many guys with a rifle.
I've never hunted myself, but I know a couple guys who use pit bulls and knives. From what they've said, one dog grabs an ear, the other the throat, then a guy jumps on it's back and slits it's throat.

Not my kind of thing, I admit.

Wouldn't this be a case where it's not about the caliber used, it's more the shot placement? The pig definitely went down at the 20 second mark, the fight was over at that point in time.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #52
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country101 View Post
Guys, dont jump on this guy so hard. Yes, I wish all kills were 1 shot kills where they dont even flinch, but the fact is that aint gonna happen more often than not even with a decent to very good hunter. Most of those shots would have killed the hog. The fact that we watched it for the rest of the time is the only differance. If it would have wandered away and then they found it thirty minutes later, no one would think anything about it. Pigs are stinking tough. I know; I have killed or caught about 150-200 of them in the last couple years. That pig was dead long before the video ended. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what the guy did. Whether you kill it close or at a distance, it is still humane to shoot it again. If the first one dont take, rinse and repeat. I personnally had to shoot a bull in the head 10 times to get it to drop from 10 ft. Not one shot missed. It just didnt hit the exact spot it needed to drop it. Nothing inhumane, just not as clean as we would care for.

And I would not be expecting a hog to retreat. There is a girl up the mountain here that would tell you otherwise. Her arm got messed up good. The only reason she didnt get tore up worse is thier collie ran in. They spent a couple grand getting that dog fixed up afterwards.
Yup. People just don't know.

Quote:
Wouldn't this be a case where it's not about the caliber used, it's more the shot placement?
For dangerous game, it's both.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #53
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower View Post
I really hope he didnt go out planning to kill boars with that handgun. That fact that he was filming makes me think he did.
Read the thread and comments. That boar had already been shot (or shot at?) with a rifle.

He was a smart hunter, having the 1911 available for just this situation, but I agree, he should have dropped the camera and stuck with the rifle rather than wasting .45 while that boar was still 30+ yards away.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #54
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country101 View Post

if he originally used a rifle to wound it, and chose to finish it off with his .45 and film it..he is an idiot. a pompous idiot. the finishing/humane shot at 30 yards with a rifle would be a chip shot. it is the way i would have done it. i hate wounding any animal.

i think the need to film everything is getting out of hand.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #55
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
i think the need to film everything is getting out of hand.
But....

Everyone deserves their 15 minutes of lame!
Old 05-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #56
Sunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: RC
Sunburst's Tacoma Gallery
I've hunted wild hogs for over 30 years, each hunt is different than the other. Most hogs are doing their best to evade any human interaction but there is always a percentage that will do their best to hurt you. For years I hunted with dogs, never bringing a gun with me. We would use a trail dog to pick up the trail of the hogs and then release the catch dogs. Once caught we would leg the hog and tie them up and transport them to a man who would pay $100 for hogs like the one in the video. As mentioned earlier I got tired of losing dogs to the hogs gouging them and the vet bills got too expensive.

Hogs are an exotic animal not native to our country and do incredible damage to commercial and private property. They breed like rabbits and destroy crops as I can attest in my farming occupation. We normally have between 30-75 hogs on the property at all times and I would gladly kill, cripple or remove all of them if possible. We have trapped several hundred off the property but they become trap smart after time. The hog problem is so bad in the state of Florida that they just changed the law to allow you to kill hogs at night time with a gun and a light as long as you have the permission from the land owner and this is year round.

In my opinion the boar hog is worthless as meat because the strong taste of the meat. If you are clever enough to shoot him before he gets excited the meat may be edible but still has a very strong taste. I have no sympathy for the bastards kill-em all...
Old 05-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #57
Country101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to all
Country101's Tacoma Gallery
^x2

Kill them all. Eat what you can, but kill them all regardless. It's amazing the damage they do to the land and the wildlife around them.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #59
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Hogs are vermin, but they still deserve a clean death. Use enough gun. I shoot prairie dogs and they usually don't know what hit them. Boom - mist. It's when you reach out really far past the explosive range of a ballistic tip and they scrunch over in pain before they die that I feel bad. This guy trying to film it is a dirt bag. Put down the camera and pick up your rifle.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #60
Christian Pastor. Need prayer,have questions? Ask
JayDawg is on a distinguished road
Name: Jay
JayDawg's Tacoma Gallery
FN 5.7 carries 30+1. Will go through a bullet proof vest at 1000 yards. Should have done the hog in with one of those. .45's are nice but on a hog or some other big animal like a bear, good luck. If the hog was shot with a rifle first, I also would have finished it off from a distance but do we know if the guy maybe thought the hog was already down, was in the process of going up to it with the camera and it got back up and charged him? If so, then he was completely justified in doing what he did. He was in an adrenaline situation so I don't expect every shot to be perfect.