Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Man Shoots Charging Boar, Close Range .45ACP (vid)

Old 05-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #61
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Im torn on this. First, Hogs can charge for a good distance, even when mortally wounded.....and they can fuck you up. I have hunted plenty with "enough gun", and have seen animals live thru shit I wouldnt even believe, and have seen others drop like the moon hit them. One time, while hunting Jack Rabbits, I but 15 rounds from a 22 mag. right thru center mass of a Jack Rabbit, only to have it hop away, and me having to run after it to finish it off with my 44 mag. Another time, A buddy shot a 900# Elk with a 270, and it dropped like a stone. In the vid, the guy clearly got at least 2 head shots at close range. Nerves will fire on an animal, and it will twitch for a while sometimes. Ive cut the head off snakes, and seen them squirming around for 10 mins. We all want an animal to drop as fast as possible, and it does break our hearts (My friends and I at least), when we dont get a clean hit, or an animal run, even though it might already be dead. As for the pigs.......A buddy of mine hit one at 30 yards with a 340 grain 44 mag round. It charged him, caught him, fucked him up (broken leg, and about 90 stiches), then died. The hit was a head shot.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #62
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunburst View Post
I've hunted wild hogs for over 30 years, each hunt is different than the other. Most hogs are doing their best to evade any human interaction but there is always a percentage that will do their best to hurt you. For years I hunted with dogs, never bringing a gun with me. We would use a trail dog to pick up the trail of the hogs and then release the catch dogs. Once caught we would leg the hog and tie them up and transport them to a man who would pay $100 for hogs like the one in the video. As mentioned earlier I got tired of losing dogs to the hogs gouging them and the vet bills got too expensive.

Hogs are an exotic animal not native to our country and do incredible damage to commercial and private property. They breed like rabbits and destroy crops as I can attest in my farming occupation. We normally have between 30-75 hogs on the property at all times and I would gladly kill, cripple or remove all of them if possible. We have trapped several hundred off the property but they become trap smart after time. The hog problem is so bad in the state of Florida that they just changed the law to allow you to kill hogs at night time with a gun and a light as long as you have the permission from the land owner and this is year round.

In my opinion the boar hog is worthless as meat because the strong taste of the meat. If you are clever enough to shoot him before he gets excited the meat may be edible but still has a very strong taste. I have no sympathy for the bastards kill-em all...
+1
Old 05-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #64
Sunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: RC
Sunburst's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDBeast View Post
gives hunters like me a bad rep....

1 shot 1 kill- OR at least have better aim and shoot until it is out of misery.
I can understand your feelings, there is nothing like accuracy. I have never hunted with a pistol and in this instance it's like bringing a knife to a gun fight with the shields that were on this big boar hog. He had a big set of "nuts" to hold a camera and try to shoot the hog or just a tad bit of ignorance in how bad this hog could have hurt him. I killed a nice hog with 3" cutters a few years back and caped him out to mount. It took a couple pruning saws to cut through the 3/4" shields as we did this and a few hours. I have heard where in some instances a 357 mag or 243 caliber never penetrated the shields of a big boar hog. My favorite spot is right behind the ear, nothing but smooth sailing of the bullets trajectory.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #65
Banned
sunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to beholdsunflower is a splendid one to behold
sunflower's Tacoma Gallery
The only reason the boar didnt gut that loser was because one of the shooters horrible shots broke his left hind leg in half.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #66
Boogie Man Kryptonite
TRDBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wayne
TRDBeast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I can understand your feelings, there is nothing like accuracy. I have never hunted with a pistol and in this instance it's like bringing a knife to a gun fight with the shields that were on this big boar hog. He had a big set of "nuts" to hold a camera and try to shoot the hog or just a tad bit of ignorance in how bad this hog could have hurt him. I killed a nice hog with 3" cutters a few years back and caped him out to mount. It took a couple pruning saws to cut through the 3/4" shields as we did this and a few hours. I have heard where in some instances a 357 mag or 243 caliber never penetrated the shields of a big boar hog. My favorite spot is right behind the ear, nothing but smooth sailing of the bullets trajectory.

agreed!

I use a 270 and right behind the ear I take 20-30 hogs a year. If I use a handgun its a 454.... Never would I dare try a camera at close range. As a fellow hunter we know what that animal is capable of doing- shredding flesh
Old 05-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #67
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
Lol i thought the title said bear, so when I hit play I was like, wtf is this shit..
x2
Old 05-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #69
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derick
dwalden2's Tacoma Gallery
I don't really see what he did so wrong. If I was charged by a wild hog (which I have been...got out of the truck to pee. Didn't see the pigs in the woods on my right. Momma pig was on the other side of the road. Luckily I was close enough to the truck to jump back in), I wouldn't really care if it's "suffering" or not. Not many kills are instant. As several have said, it was dead before it was flopping around. Also...it's a freakin hog. EXTREMELY overpopulated in many areas in the US. Especially GA and TX. This is how they hunt em in Texas. Think they're dead as soon as they're shot? Some, I'm sure...but not all of em.

http://vimeo.com/21181307
Old 05-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #70
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
'Merica.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #71
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Damn good helicopter pilot it seems
Old 05-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #72
aportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of light
EMS:
Name: Austin
aportis72's Tacoma Gallery
^ yes
Old 05-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #73
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Im torn on this. First, Hogs can charge for a good distance, even when mortally wounded.....and they can fuck you up. I have hunted plenty with "enough gun", and have seen animals live thru shit I wouldnt even believe, and have seen others drop like the moon hit them. One time, while hunting Jack Rabbits, I but 15 rounds from a 22 mag. right thru center mass of a Jack Rabbit, only to have it hop away, and me having to run after it to finish it off with my 44 mag. Another time, A buddy shot a 900# Elk with a 270, and it dropped like a stone. In the vid, the guy clearly got at least 2 head shots at close range. Nerves will fire on an animal, and it will twitch for a while sometimes. Ive cut the head off snakes, and seen them squirming around for 10 mins. We all want an animal to drop as fast as possible, and it does break our hearts (My friends and I at least), when we dont get a clean hit, or an animal run, even though it might already be dead. As for the pigs.......A buddy of mine hit one at 30 yards with a 340 grain 44 mag round. It charged him, caught him, fucked him up (broken leg, and about 90 stiches), then died. The hit was a head shot.
Thats the scariest part, and that is why I wouldn't have even bothered with the pistol. I would have shot at it with the rifle until it dropped so it couldn't get close enough to do damage.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:59 AM   #74
cluznar is on a distinguished road
cluznar's Tacoma Gallery
Get a helicopter and hogs can't charge ya!
Old 05-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #75
Sunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Here is another helicopter hog shooting video...

http://youtu.be/xiHmYsyVniE or

http://www.texashuntfish.com/app/vid...ation-in-Texas
Old 05-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #76
kessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to behold

kessler89's Tacoma Gallery
and that folks is why i carry a 10mm when backwoods 4wheeling, 45 might be good for killing people but for wild boar/bears my 10mm goes with me everywhere

alot of you guys sound like you should be browsing the PETA forums..... he shot it in the head multiple times, 45 just couldn't get the job done but it's what he had in his hand, it didn't run off injured i dont see what all the fuss is about (other than the fact he was using a 1911 haha)

edit after watching the video again... the 6th shot ended it, 16 seconds after he took his first shot it was dead, being that it was on the move and coming at him i dont think any of you mall ninja's would have been able to finish it any faster being in the position he was in unless you had an assault rifle
Old 05-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #77
Quote:
and that folks is why i carry a 10mm when backwoods 4wheeling, 45 might be good
for killing people but for wild boar/bears my 10mm goes with me
everywhere
Always wanted to get a 10mm, I just picked up a 45 H&K so it may be a while. Not really interested in killing people with anything if possible but have been shooting long enough to know that it's normally not the gun but where you put the bullet that decides what you are shooting at drops. But momentum and nerves will carry wildlife a great distance even though it was "legally" dead with an earlier shot...
Old 05-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #78
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
How come I can't see the video?
Old 05-31-2012, 07:29 PM   #79
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
How come I can't see the video?
Video is hosted on LiveLeak.
Many businesses block it, and I've had a few Antivirus/antimalware programs block it.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:34 PM   #80
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
But momentum and nerves will carry wildlife a great distance even though it was "legally" dead with an earlier shot...
And even before that, there is a big difference between an animal target and a human target... depending on the human target.

Anyone who has been in combat has seen human being survive and continue to function with horrific wounds. Adrenaline and training will do that.
Anyone who has been an EMT or ER doctor has seen people succumb to relatively minor wounds. Fear will do that.

Animals may know fear, but their reaction to being injured is not the same as a human. They don't know that they could die... they only know that they are hurt, and they kick into fight or flight. If they kick into fight, that battle IS going to be to the death.
A typical street thug (assuming he's not amped up on drugs), is going to think "Holy shit, this guy is not afraid to kill me!"
The fear of death over a petty robbery tends to take the fight out of a lot of thugs.