LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Looking at buying an AR-15. Help needed.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:21 AM   #1
Addicted is a jewel in the roughAddicted is a jewel in the roughAddicted is a jewel in the rough

Addicted's Tacoma Gallery
Looking at buying an AR-15. Help needed.

Ok, my wife will not be happy about this purchase, but I really want to get an AR-15, apperantly like every other American right now. I have figured most of it out I think, but am looking for some insight and guidance from people that know much better than me. Here is what I am looking at so far:

Upper receiver: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...urg-mid-16.htm

- Question: What is the difference between this receiver called "Mid-Lenght" and there other one called "Carbine" when both have 16 inch barrels?

Lower receiver: http://dynamicarmament.com/items/ar-...ger-detail.htm

- Want to make sure this is ready to attach to upper receiver and it is ready to shoot? (I know gun needs hand guards, etc... but anything else needed on the lower?)

I would replace the stock with: http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index....roducts_id=187

Handguard: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/LaRue...l%20lt15-9.htm

I'm still researching optics, sights, etc... and I think I will have plenty of time to research from all the "out of stock" signs everywhere.

I would love to get some feedback on the above and also hear your experiences with AR-15s.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
To be honest I have not dealt with those two companies, in most cases I have used R.R. or Bushmaster.
Free float is the way to go, the one you showed has set up points for everything.
I have built a few of them from the lower up, one tactical entry, and two long range versions. Check out R.B. Precision online, they have a number of custom uppers, and you can ask for what you want.
Here is a pic of my latest, I got the photo off their web site, since I no longer have a copy. Also for parts check out Midway, or Brownell's.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
"Mid Lenghth" and "Carbine" refer to the length of the gas tube. A mid length system is timed better, IMHO.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Addicted is a jewel in the roughAddicted is a jewel in the roughAddicted is a jewel in the rough

That's a great looking gun longbow. Thanks for the info, I'll check them out.

Thanks Chris. I knew it had to be something simple. I am looking at the mid length.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
I built mine. Its really pretty easy. Its a CMMG 20" Med-con upper, chrome lined barrel, 1:7 twist Oh yeah i had CMMG free float the barrel too. As one of the other guys said this is VERY IMPORTANT for accuracy.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...424066&cat=27&

also an LCW lower. RRA parts kit w/ NM two stage trigger (accurized).

i cant remember if Bravo Co. was the one with issues (ie. crappy fitting parts) or not. Do some research. Again I highly recommend CMMG as do ALOT of other people. if you want to go really fancy, say maby a future match stick, go with White Oak Precision. Good luck. I might buy a carbine upper from CMMG in the near future. I have a second LCW lower sitting around somewhere.

Research barrel twist as well. Depending on the gr. of the bullet you are planning to use.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:07 PM   #6
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
i have 4, 3 are bushmasters, 1 rock river. my rock river out shoots all 3 bushmasters. but then again my rock river is set up for predators and has glass bedding custom shop work done to it
Old 12-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #7

Looking at buying this lower: http://www.stargate.org/lower2/

Anything appear to be off on this lower? Thanks.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:01 PM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
What He said^^^^^^^
Check out www.AR15.com for some good info on these rifles.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #10
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
I still think some of mine are better for long distance. I posted earlier, I do need glasses but.... a Mauser, a M1, and an Endfield ...well what can you say...

Old 12-28-2008, 04:34 PM   #11
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
My endfield with iron sights is dead on....I do want an AR though. I sold my mini 14 to get new tires. Bad decision.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #12

Thanks Chris... I've been lurking on that site for a week now. Great info and bad for the wallet.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:14 PM   #13
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
so I ordered a complete upper about 3 weeks ago and still waiting for it to get in stock. Can't buy/find a complete lower to save my life.. Looking at a RockRiverArms Lower. from what I have heard they are one of the better makes
Old 12-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #14
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted View Post
Thanks Chris... I've been lurking on that site for a week now. Great info and bad for the wallet.
That site is full of dicks. Lots of info though. Try XDTalk.com; they have a great AR subforum.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristopherl View Post
so I ordered a complete upper about 3 weeks ago and still waiting for it to get in stock. Can't buy/find a complete lower to save my life.. Looking at a RockRiverArms Lower. from what I have heard they are one of the better makes
http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=7&f=21

There are a lot complete lowers on here. Just have to be fairly quick to pull the trigger, b/c lot of people are buying them up. Who did you order the Upper from?

Thanks Packerfan! I'll check it out.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #16
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

There are a lot complete lowers on here. Just have to be fairly quick to pull the trigger, b/c lot of people are buying them up. Who did you order the Upper from?

http://www.galatiinternational.com/
Old 12-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #17
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

No sweat. BTW, very friendly crowd over there. It's VERY similar to this board.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:00 PM   #18

I notice you are a long time contributor over there. I almost thought it was your site

Looks like a great site!
Old 12-28-2008, 06:03 PM   #19
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Quote:
I notice you are a long time contributor over there. I almost thought it was your site

Looks like a great site!
Haha, yeah, it's my second home now.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:16 AM   #20
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
All I know is that I have read nothing but great about the gas system from LWRC.

I have that as my upper.

An ERGO grip.

Surefire

Yankee Hill BUIS

EOtech

Magpull butt

Single point sling from Tactical Tailor