LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Can't decide on Mossy 500

Old 06-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
leeer1 is on a distinguished road
leeer1's Tacoma Gallery
Can't decide on Mossy 500

So, I'm looking for some input on whether to "pull the trigger" on picking up the Mossy.

It is a mossberg 500C, camo finish (I think after market done). 20 gauge. After market hi-viz sight on it.

Asking price is $219.

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
meeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: g
meeestirg's Tacoma Gallery
go for it! i would prefer remington 870 though

Remington 870, sx ghost ring sights, top picatinny rail, door breech choke w/ compensator, ATACS camo, full buttstock w/ pistol grip. (:

i have this but in black.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
onesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
onesixseven's Tacoma Gallery
literally just yesterday drove 2 hrs to bass pro, and the whole way was battling with myself on whether to go for the 500 or the 870. after feeling both, nd talking to everyone there, i went with the 870. walked out of there having spent a grand total of 369 after taxes and fees. 12 gauge btw, 20gauge i for girls lol jk
Old 06-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
leeer1's Tacoma Gallery
I looked at the 870 also, but came across someone selling the mossberg. The price is attractive.

Actually the intention is that my wife would feel comfortable using it, so I am leaning toward the 20 gauge.

I'm not bring too picky with features. My intent is HD and maybe some recreational shooting, but not really hunting.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
YellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YellowDog01's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't like how loose the pump was.... Felt like I could break it right off...

870 or Benelli Nova is my choice
Old 06-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
jeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief 62 AMXS
Name: Drew
jeckel7234's Tacoma Gallery
i forgot how much but check out the maverick 88, its owned and made by mossberg only real difference is the safely location is on the trigger guard instead of on top
Old 06-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
leeer1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDog01 View Post
I didn't like how loose the pump was.... Felt like I could break it right off...

870 or Benelli Nova is my choice
The pump did have a lot of play which I found odd. The person selling it, told me that it was normal.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
meeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeer1 View Post
I looked at the 870 also, but came across someone selling the mossberg. The price is attractive.
where are you from? in my area it's an extra $140 to buy a gun from someone, what a waste of money if the gun is common.

Quote:
Actually the intention is that my wife would feel comfortable using it, so I am leaning toward the 20 gauge.
they make low-recoil 12ga, they also make something called a "limb-saver" recoil pad.

Quote:
I'm not bring too picky with features. My intent is HD and maybe some recreational shooting, but not really hunting.
for HD and recreational shooting 12ga is the most popular. 12ga has the largest variety of HD ammo. all you need for recreational shooting is a few boxes of low-recoil 12 ga #7 buck ($65-$70 ish for a case of 250)
Old 06-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #9
YellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YellowDog01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The pump did have a lot of play which I found odd. The person selling it, told me that it was normal.
Oh yeah, it's normal. My buddy used one for years without any problems. I'm just picky.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
thor92 is on a distinguished road

thor92's Tacoma Gallery
I'd spend a little more go with a Remington 870. IMHO it's a more solid gun overall; Mossbergs have always felt a little "cheap" to me.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
I have a mossy maverick 88. Its a great shotgun. Yes the pump is a little flimsy but everything else is great. I put a IC chock in it and shoot slugs out of it and its great. Oh ya its $175 for a 26" barrel.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
leeer1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeestirg View Post
where are you from? in my area it's an extra $140 to buy a gun from someone, what a waste of money if the gun is common.

they make low-recoil 12ga, they also make something called a "limb-saver" recoil pad.

for HD and recreational shooting 12ga is the most popular. 12ga has the largest variety of HD ammo. all you need for recreational shooting is a few boxes of low-recoil 12 ga #7 buck ($65-$70 ish for a case of 250)
I'm in Syracuse, NY, but the shotgun is in PA near my in-laws. Just the price tag + tax + background check. I'll have to look into the low-recoil shells and pad. I was not aware of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor92 View Post
I'd spend a little more go with a Remington 870. IMHO it's a more solid gun overall; Mossbergs have always felt a little "cheap" to me.
I bounce back and forth between 12 and 20 gauge, 500 and 870.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb_crew View Post
I have a mossy maverick 88. Its a great shotgun. Yes the pump is a little flimsy but everything else is great. I put a IC chock in it and shoot slugs out of it and its great. Oh ya its $175 for a 26" barrel.
I'll have to look into these.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #13
Quote:
I'm in Syracuse, NY, but the shotgun is in PA near my in-laws. Just the price tag + tax + background check.
to buy a firearm from another person or to have it shipped to our local gun shops from somewhere far. in CA we have to pay the following:

$100 - FFL "rental"
$35 - DROS
Price of Firearm ($$$)
Tax on Firearm ($$$)

to me the extra $100 is not worth it when buying common firearms (mossberg 500, remington 870)
Old 06-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #15
NickJ*97756 is a glorious beacon of lightNickJ*97756 is a glorious beacon of lightNickJ*97756 is a glorious beacon of lightNickJ*97756 is a glorious beacon of lightNickJ*97756 is a glorious beacon of light

Army: Oregon Army National Guard
Name: Nick
NickJ*97756's Tacoma Gallery
BENELLI!!!!!!

I have the Nova 12g and have never had a single problem with it. Very solid shotgun! I have friends that have 870's and they are crap!! The new ones aren't built solid and do jam (hard to eject shells). Benelli FTW
Old 06-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #16
leeer1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickJ*97756 View Post
BENELLI!!!!!!

I have the Nova 12g and have never had a single problem with it. Very solid shotgun! I have friends that have 870's and they are crap!! The new ones aren't built solid and do jam (hard to eject shells). Benelli FTW
A Benelli is out of my price range. I hear they are great but a new one is not going to happen, and I doubt I will find a used one. Even then it probably is not in my budget.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #17
triumphx is on a distinguished road

triumphx's Tacoma Gallery
I love my mossbergs, i have 2 500's from the 70's and a newer 500 tactical. I would pass on the maverick and the 535 as the 535 has aluminum internals and can stick after shooting for some time. If you want a 870 go with a older wingmaster, hands down way better than the new 870's.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #18
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Another option

Have you looked at the Stevens (Savage) 320 line??? Based on the Winchester 1300 pump. They have several tactical models and a combo that includes a 28" vent rib and an 18" HD....for about $325 at Big 5, less if you catch it on sale
Old 06-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #19
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Stevens 320 Sale

Stevens/Savage model 320 12 gauge, 28" vent rib and 18" HD barrel now on sale at Big 5 Sporting Goods for $249.99

This is a "clone" of the Winchester 1300......and Winchokes fit the 28" barrel.

http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.c...486480&offerid=
Old 06-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #20
Hug balls bitch
big dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
big dog's Tacoma Gallery
I have the mossburg 500 all black love it came w/ short and long barrel shoots great never a problem but I stole mine the my buddy gave it to me for 120 plus 300 rounds