Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

What do you feed your dog?

Old 06-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #21
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
We have good luck with Holistic Select Large Breed Dry Dog Food for our two year old Lab / Chesapeake mix. Had the puppy version when he was a pup.

Make sure you get one without or limited corn or else the dog might be drawn to eat their poo.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #22
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
Iams for my Wheaten.

Veggies, lunch meat and cheese for special treats.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #23
tomwopat is on a distinguished road

tomwopat's Tacoma Gallery
I have a hyper yet skinny yellow lab and a chubby beagle. They both get Black Gold; Trainer's Blend. My feed store just informed me that they will not be carrying it anymore so I need to find something new..
Old 06-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #24
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Pet (dog) food

interesting info

http://petfoodtalk.com/dogfoodreviews/#best-dog-food
Old 06-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #25
bajaracer is on a distinguished road
Name: Charly
bajaracer's Tacoma Gallery
I have a spanish cocker spaniel and feed him Kibbles n' Bits... He loves it.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #26
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Alot of the dog trainers in my area use Martin's Formula. I have 2 seven year old German Shepherds and they love it. It reduces there dumps and no gas and you dont have to feed them as much. It has great ingredients and its good for them. The only thing I have a problem with is that obviously its expensive but only 2 places within 45 minutes of me sells it. I am a bit lucky though bc my dog trainer, the guy i started working with sells it so that helps.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #27
Asian RedNeck
BenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to all

Name: Ben
BenMara's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BenMara
http://www.eaglepack.com/

for these Hounds
Old 06-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #28
Where the White Women At?
StZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
StZu's Tacoma Gallery
I have 2 boxers, I feed them the Kirkland brand dog food. It rates up pretty high in the dog food ratings and is pretty cheap. My boxers are 13 and 5 years old.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:21 AM   #29
Glocking Tall
TS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police Officer
TS1980's Tacoma Gallery
We feed our Yellow Lab Nutro Large Breed Adult. Usually with green beans or carrots mixed in.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:05 AM   #30
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Penny has had Innova from the get go. it's expensive, but it's very good quality food.

Let me in Dad!
Old 06-10-2012, 04:27 AM   #31
GTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTechoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GTechoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
I have a yellow lab and we tried several brands but they gave her the shits so bad. We tried natures recipe, blue buffalo, and a purina. The natures recipe was the best out of those but she started to react differently afte ra while. Finally we went to a boutique pet store and tried Taste of the Wild. Its not too much more expensive but her shit instantly got better, her coat was good, we've been really happy. Tractor supply carries it too. Its about $50 for a 30lb bag which isnt too bad, plus it has a higher protein content so you dont have to feed as much.

X2 on this. We have two "senior" labs, 12 and 13 yrs old and we feed them Taste of the Wild. Keeps the coat shiny and they love it (although they are labs so they eat anything). Its not as cheap as some others, but like stated above, you can feed a little less b/c of the higher protein content.

However, I just found this, so if you go with TOTW, check this out first:
http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/art...ld-recall.html

Beautiful GSP puppy, btw.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #32
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Costco salmon and sweet potato...good stuff. I feed puppies Natures Recipe Large Breed Puppy to regulate their protein during growth.
Don't overfeed.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:38 AM   #33
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTechoma View Post
X2 on this. We have two "senior" labs, 12 and 13 yrs old and we feed them Taste of the Wild. Keeps the coat shiny and they love it (although they are labs so they eat anything). Its not as cheap as some others, but like stated above, you can feed a little less b/c of the higher protein content.

However, I just found this, so if you go with TOTW, check this out first:
http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/art...ld-recall.html

Beautiful GSP puppy, btw.
I saw that too, our pet store let us know. Aparantly the same factory makes a ton of diff brands and there was a possibility of contamination. Our store said none of their bags were in the group that might be bad. But I had to switch from the lamb to the bison mix, the store was out. She is now shitting really bad and doing the "scoot" when shes done. probaly give her some rice for a day or 2.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:52 AM   #34
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
I have used Nutro lamb and rice for all my dogs for 20 years or more. I have used Purina ONE at times when I could not get Nutro, and you can tell a difference in their coat almost immediately.

For those dogs that throw their meal up, try a sectioned bowl to slow them down, or spread it out on the floor. Usually they throw up from eating too fast, not the food itself.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:17 AM   #35
stump thumper
ruler1 is a jewel in the roughruler1 is a jewel in the roughruler1 is a jewel in the rough
ruler1's Tacoma Gallery
During college I worked as a dog food rep at many different pet stores. The company I worked for made a solid product, as did s few of the other reps. I did however learn about a knockoff brand that was just as good. Pet smart has a "house" brand named authority. It is only sold at petsmart and is on level with the premium foods. There are a few different varieties and all have performed well for me.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #36
stump thumper
ruler1 is a jewel in the roughruler1 is a jewel in the roughruler1 is a jewel in the rough
ruler1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenBeers View Post
I have used Nutro lamb and rice for all my dogs for 20 years or more. I have used Purina ONE at times when I could not get Nutro, and you can tell a difference in their coat almost immediately.

For those dogs that throw their meal up, try a sectioned bowl to slow them down, or spread it out on the floor. Usually they throw up from eating too fast, not the food itself.
You can also put a smaller bowl upside down inside bowl and then put the food around the edge of the flipped bowl. This worked for our dog.

On another note, guys with medium to large dogs need to elevate food bowls. It's pretty sad when you see older dogs put down too early due to injury from eating off the ground. These elevated bowls are cheap and should be manditory for big breeds.

If your dog gets the squirts it is usually your fault. Their stomach gets set to a certain thing (a type of food, scraps, garbage, whatever). When you switch foods you need to do so slowly. Start out with 75% d food 25% new stuff for a few days then 50/50 then switch to 25/75. Watch their poop. If it gets runny you are switching too fast. Lots of people are trying to feed their dog better and damage their coat or ruin rugs by going too fast. Less than 1% of dogs have any kind of food allergy. A lot of the problem is chemicals in and around the home and a poor diet.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:29 AM   #37
Coolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Coolerman's Tacoma Gallery
We use Earthborn Adult Vantage for our dog. We have also used Taste of the Wild in the past too, but settled on Earthborn because that is what he was eating when we got him from the rescue group. I would say both of these brands are very good.

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood....adult_vantage/
Attached Thumbnails
What do you feed your dog?-lukeleaf.jpg  
Old 06-12-2012, 06:01 AM   #38
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruler1 View Post
On another note, guys with medium to large dogs need to elevate food bowls. It's pretty sad when you see older dogs put down too early due to injury from eating off the ground. These elevated bowls are cheap and should be manditory for big breeds.
I actually asked my vet about the elevated food bowls and he said it's a myth and if the bowl is too high, it's not a good feeding position either. I'm not saying you're incorrect, just repeating what I heard when I asked my vet. I use a slightly elevated bowl for my lab, the bottom of the bowl is only a few inches off the ground. Maybe for something like a Great Dane it'd make a difference
Old 06-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #39
REDRIDER98999 is on a distinguished road

REDRIDER98999's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 1 year old Husky mix, and feed him "Taste of the WIld"

pic from 7 months old
Attached Thumbnails
What do you feed your dog?-bode7.jpg  
Old 06-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #40
Reads more than posts
sofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
sofiasdad11's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Coolerman;5226915]We use Earthborn Adult Vantage for our dog. We have also used Taste of the Wild in the past too, but settled on Earthborn because that is what he was eating when we got him from the rescue group. I would say both of these brands are very good.

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood.com/us/dog_formulas/adult_vantage/[/QUOTE] Dan, Lukeleaf is one beautiful dog, assuming that's his name wanted a shepard, but the little one chose our wheaten To the OP, we feed our wheaten terrier nutro natural choice lamb & rice, often with a little chicken mixed in (leftovers). recommended by our vet. He never leaves the bowl empty.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you feed your dog?-dsc02521.jpg