Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

What do you feed your dog?

Old 06-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #41
nomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Trevor
nomad_archer's Tacoma Gallery
My dogs get Merrick BG (Before Grain) Buffalo flavor and its not to expensive. All I have to say is feed your dog good stuff like most of whats mentioned here. Taste of the Wild i know is good, Merrick, Natural Balance, etc. The purina, science diet stuff like that with heavy advertisement is usually crappy for your dog.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #42
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Both my Shepherds get Euk 30/20 pricey but they do well on it I have used alot of the foods mentioned here it all comes down to finding the one thats right for your dog. Your vet should be able to help you figure out what your pup needs for health,skin,eyes, energy levels etc.

Cypher
Old 06-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #43
Coolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Coolerman's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=sofiasdad11;5227066]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolerman View Post
We use Earthborn Adult Vantage for our dog. We have also used Taste of the Wild in the past too, but settled on Earthborn because that is what he was eating when we got him from the rescue group. I would say both of these brands are very good.

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood.com/us/dog_formulas/adult_vantage/[/QUOTE] Dan, Lukeleaf is one beautiful dog, assuming that's his name wanted a shepard, but the little one chose our wheaten To the OP, we feed our wheaten terrier nutro natural choice lamb & rice, often with a little chicken mixed in (leftovers). recommended by our vet. He never leaves the bowl empty.

Thanks, his name is Luke. We believe he is a Shepherd mixed with a Smooth coat Collie. He is our second Shepherd mix and both have been wonderful dogs. Your wheaten terrier is a good looking dog too.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #44
stump thumper
ruler1 is a jewel in the roughruler1 is a jewel in the roughruler1 is a jewel in the rough
ruler1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I actually asked my vet about the elevated food bowls and he said it's a myth and if the bowl is too high, it's not a good feeding position either. I'm not saying you're incorrect, just repeating what I heard when I asked my vet. I use a slightly elevated bowl for my lab, the bottom of the bowl is only a few inches off the ground. Maybe for something like a Great Dane it'd make a difference
It's a big deal with dogs prone to hip and neck issues. You are right about the lift. A little bit goes a long way. Dobermans, German shepards, Danes, mastiffs and greyhounds are the ones that come to mind. Never heard a vet call it a myth though. I actually heard about it from one. Different strokes I guess, but better safe than sorry on some breeds.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #45
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone else's dog not eat as much in the summer? My lab is about 16 months now and the last few weeks its been pretty damm hot in ATL and my lab use to inhale her food, now she just picks at it. She gets really hot quickly so I havnt done much with her lately. She actually gets whats called Exercise Induced Collapse. Its really scary basically if they are chasing a ball they get over excited and their back end acts like its paralyzed. its scary to watch but from what the vet says harmless as long as you cool them off immedietly. Its happened 2 or 3 times since I had her and she drags her self around acting like its no big deal, then 15 mins later its like nothign happened.

Anyway back to food, she just picks at her bowl all day now.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #46
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruler1 View Post
It's a big deal with dogs prone to hip and neck issues. You are right about the lift. A little bit goes a long way. Dobermans, German shepards, Danes, mastiffs and greyhounds are the ones that come to mind. Never heard a vet call it a myth though. I actually heard about it from one. Different strokes I guess, but better safe than sorry on some breeds.
Maybe he just meant it as not required for my dog and just used poor wording. It makes sense that it would help a bigger dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Anyone else's dog not eat as much in the summer? My lab is about 16 months now and the last few weeks its been pretty damm hot in ATL and my lab use to inhale her food, now she just picks at it. She gets really hot quickly so I havnt done much with her lately. She actually gets whats called Exercise Induced Collapse. Its really scary basically if they are chasing a ball they get over excited and their back end acts like its paralyzed. its scary to watch but from what the vet says harmless as long as you cool them off immedietly. Its happened 2 or 3 times since I had her and she drags her self around acting like its no big deal, then 15 mins later its like nothign happened.

Anyway back to food, she just picks at her bowl all day now.
Mix some cold water in with the dry food, it might help. If it's really hot, my guy won't eat as quickly and might pick at his food for 30 - 45 minutes vs. 2 minutes normally.

Since you're in the south where it gets hot, keep him brushed to get rid of the dead, shedding fur to help him stay cool. Also, when he starts shedding bad in the spring, use the Furminator. It's a special sort of brush that helps thin out his undercoat. I only use it once, maybe twice a year because they do need their undercoat and the oils in the fur to stay healthy. Too much thinning would be a bad thing.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #47
kessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to behold

kessler89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE STRAIT View Post
lmao at some of the misc threads on here.. I feed my 10 yr old golden science diet. dont feed the dogs Iams Chunks (tons of dog farts) or Eukanuba (BIG OL' SHITS!)

that GIF is freakin awesome hahahaha
Old 06-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #48
knayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
knayrb's Tacoma Gallery
We don't have a "real" dog. We have a lhasa apso. It always seems to be itching and scratching constantly. A few trips to the vet and it was decided that it was allergic to something. We have found that the Kirkland Salmon & Sweet Potato really helps curb the allergies. Also the land mines in the back yard are manageable. The dog loves it (but would rather have bacon).
Old 06-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #49
NvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Jeff
NvrSumR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente View Post
Great..... Pro Plan sucks. Guess I'll have to switch.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #50
ADCarter1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Denise
ADCarter1's Tacoma Gallery
We have a Bloodhound and a Lab/Mastiff Mix, they eat WalMart Skin and Coat Formula mixed with whatever high priced dog food I can find at the Amish discount grocery.

Sammy- you might want to try feeding your dog less food but more often. Split her meals into two feedings a day. And I would pick up her food if she doesn't seem to want it. Also, you might want to try some plain or vanilla yogurt mixed into her food. It makes it more enticing and it helps to keep her stomach regular.

Since we have big dogs we always worry about bloat- especially with our Bloodhound. I spoke with our vet and he said elevating their food bowls may increase the risk of bloat.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:31 AM   #51
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have a yellow lab and we tried several brands but they gave her the shits so bad. We tried natures recipe, blue buffalo, and a purina. The natures recipe was the best out of those but she started to react differently afte ra while. Finally we went to a boutique pet store and tried Taste of the Wild. Its not too much more expensive but her shit instantly got better, her coat was good, we've been really happy. Tractor supply carries it too. Its about $50 for a 30lb bag which isnt too bad, plus it has a higher protein content so you dont have to feed as much.

This. Taste of the wild is good stuff. Grain free.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:35 AM   #52
Old Guy...In a Kids Truck
2012sporttrd is on a distinguished road

Name: Brad
2012sporttrd's Tacoma Gallery
I have 2 Golden Retrievers ........feed them both Purina Bentiful Healthy Weight
Old 06-24-2012, 05:23 AM   #53
diesel30 is on a distinguished road

diesel30's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a 3 yr old doberman that weighs in around 96lbs currently. He's nothing but solid muscle. He's been on Blue Buffalo large breed since he was a puppy. I get more compliments on how shiny is coat is and how defined his muscles are. great food. Stick on the chicken & brown rice instead of the salmon and sweet potato unless you have an endless supply of air fresheners.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:49 AM   #54
feyded is on a distinguished road
Navy: NAS Whidbey Isle
feyded's Tacoma Gallery
Ive got a German Wirehaired Pointer, and a Border Collie that we feed both the BARF diet (Bones and Raw Food). They LOVE it, the vet raves about how clean their teeth are and how well their breath smells, and it gives them stuff to chew on.

I was completely against it because it sounds so ridiculous, but after reading thoroughly about it and getting many breeders opinions I came to the conclusion that it makes sense, and its cheaper(depends on where you buy your meats) than the pure holistic bagged dog foods.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:54 AM   #55
soxsdaddy is on a distinguished road

soxsdaddy's Tacoma Gallery
I feed my boxer Arcaina Wild prairie
Old 06-24-2012, 06:16 AM   #56
Swanson52 is a jewel in the roughSwanson52 is a jewel in the roughSwanson52 is a jewel in the roughSwanson52 is a jewel in the rough
Swanson52's Tacoma Gallery
Human flesh, gunpowder and scotch.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #57
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Update on my lab with taste of the wild:

The store was out of the Lamb mix so we used the bison for several weeks. She loved it at first, then picked at it again, well now shes licking her front paws all the time and and the fur between the pads is really red. THere is no pain, she acts normal, runs around still, just lickng her pads all the time. Im assuming it was an allergy with the bison mix, hopefully the lamb mix will calm her down now.

Anyone else ever see this?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #58
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Currently, Castor & Pollock Organix. We used to feed them Eukanuba but made the switch about two years ago. What a difference food makes on their coats, attitude, and bowel movements. The pricey organic stuff is worth it IMO.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #59
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Update on my lab with taste of the wild:

The store was out of the Lamb mix so we used the bison for several weeks. She loved it at first, then picked at it again, well now shes licking her front paws all the time and and the fur between the pads is really red. THere is no pain, she acts normal, runs around still, just lickng her pads all the time. Im assuming it was an allergy with the bison mix, hopefully the lamb mix will calm her down now.

Anyone else ever see this?
Yeah, the Wetlands mix made my dane bite her tail. We swapped her off of it and it stopped. The salmon mix is good too.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #60

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNDrew View Post
Yeah, the Wetlands mix made my dane bite her tail. We swapped her off of it and it stopped. The salmon mix is good too.

Thanks for the info! I got pretty nervous when I saw her paws all red. Its funny to think we are all here talking about how a difference in premium dog food affects our pups, when not too many ppl use the same logic on themselves.