Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

ar upper and lower help

Old 06-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
ethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of light

Air Force: 314MXG
Name: ethan
ethanfoy's Tacoma Gallery
ar upper and lower help

What's good ar-15 upper and lower receiver I'm wanting it in .308. I've seen a lot of ar's yall have built I think its time for me to build one
Old 06-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
...i like CMMG, ..i believe they have a .308 set...

might also look at doublestar (made right there in KY), ...not sure if they offer a .308...
Old 06-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
If you have the buck, buy an SR-25 or LMT otherwise, DPMS.

Whatever you do, stay to the DMPS/M110 standard.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
ethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of light

why on some of these websites it doesn't specify whether its .223/5.56NATO or .308/7.62NATO.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
ross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant future
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
What ever you buy, get a Piston operated upper. I like LMT
Old 06-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
Pistons create more problems than they will ever solve.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #7

If I get the upper and lower ordered will it come with the "hardware" to put it together with
Old 06-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
Impressive Member

RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanfoy View Post
If I get the upper and lower ordered will it come with the "hardware" to put it together with
The push pins are part of the lower.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Everyone has their favorites. I like Spikes.

It has been said many times that a lower receiver can mostly be chosen by which manufacturers logo you like the best, there are only a few machine shops that make them for all of the brands.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
ross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant future
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevAdam View Post
Pistons create more problems than they will ever solve.
not sure what kinda problems your talking about. ive put more round and beat the shit out of a .308 piston upper in AFG with zero issues. i used the shit out of that rifle. i hope i never have to go back to a gas upper again.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #11
Impressive Member

RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
A) All AR Uppers are "piston" uppers. The bolt carrier is the piston.
B) The conversion kits don't really do anything but make the rifle heavier and less accurate.

http://www.gundigest.com/tactical-ge...-isnt-reliable

http://forums.officer.com/forums/arc.../t-154253.html
Old 06-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #12
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanfoy View Post
basically, you have the following options:

1) buy complete rifle - then done.

2) buy complete upper assembly, assemble the lower yourself

3) buy complete upper assembly, buy complete lower assembly

4) assemble upper yourself (requires gunsmith skills), assemble lower yourself

5) assemble upper yourself (requires gunsmith skills), buy complete lower

buying a complete upper assembly is a smart way to go - it removes you from having to mate barrels, gas blocks, etc. and assembly is critical because mating barrel to receiver must be done "right"...

assembly the lower yourself isn't difficult, ...you need to obtain the lower receiver (stripped - i.e. absent internals), which is the serial numbered part of the firearm, ...buy a lower parts kit (pins, trigger assy, selector switch, etc), and buy a stock kit (stock, buffer tube, etc.) - then get some good directions for assembly w/out damaging the lower receiver (recommend going to AR15.com)..
Old 06-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #13
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
basically, you have the following options:

1) buy complete rifle - then done.

2) buy complete upper assembly, assemble the lower yourself

3) buy complete upper assembly, buy complete lower assembly

4) assemble upper yourself (requires gunsmith skills), assemble lower yourself

5) assemble upper yourself (requires gunsmith skills), buy complete lower

buying a complete upper assembly is a smart way to go - it removes you from having to mate barrels, gas blocks, etc. and assembly is critical because mating barrel to receiver must be done "right"...

assembly the lower yourself isn't difficult, ...you need to obtain the lower receiver (stripped - i.e. absent internals), which is the serial numbered part of the firearm, ...buy a lower parts kit (pins, trigger assy, selector switch, etc), and buy a stock kit (stock, buffer tube, etc.) - then get some good directions for assembly w/out damaging the lower receiver (recommend going to AR15.com)..
Good advice. I chose option #2. I assembled the lower at my kitchen table, not difficult at all. I just followed a set of instructions from AR15.com.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #14

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
Good advice. I chose option #2. I assembled the lower at my kitchen table, not difficult at all. I just followed a set of instructions from AR15.com.
yep, i assembled one on my computer desk one nifty trick is to use vise grips and advance the screw adjustment "slowly" to insert some of the roll pins in the lower - where using a hammer and punch could easily mar the finish or even break off the thinner profile areas where the trigger guard goes come to think of it though, i did cheat because i didn't stake the castle nut on the buffer tube, ...used the blue locktite... might go back and do it right sometime
Old 06-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #15

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yep, i assembled one on my computer desk one nifty trick is to use vise grips and advance the screw adjustment "slowly" to insert some of the roll pins in the lower - where using a hammer and punch could easily mar the finish or even break off the thinner profile areas where the trigger guard goes come to think of it though, i did cheat because i didn't stake the castle nut on the buffer tube, ...used the blue locktite... might go back and do it right sometime
Thanks for the reminder. I need to fix my buffer tube castle as well. I used the vise grip trick and brass screws as punches. For some reason, I could not find a set of brass punches around here.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #16
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Rock River makes good .308 uppers, and AR10s.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #17

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
Thanks for the reminder. I need to fix my buffer tube castle as well. I used the vise grip trick and brass screws as punches. For some reason, I could not find a set of brass punches around here.
brownells.com
Old 06-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #18

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
brownells.com
I was also feeling especially cheap that day.