Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Taurus Protector Poly

Old 06-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #1
hillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant future

Name: Daniel
hillbillytoyo's Tacoma Gallery
Taurus Protector Poly

I am getting ready to buy a Taurus Protector Polymer in 357 mag. I will be carring this as a conceled weapon and when I'm away my wife will use this loaded with 38 sp+p. I've heard only good things in reviews but does anyone on this site have one? I've got a couple of other carry guns (XD 45 & Glock 17) but for summer time this seems to be my best option for the price.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Banned
SlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to behold

SlamFire's Tacoma Gallery
I have no experience with the firearm you show, but I am on board with a revolver over a semi-auto. My carry piece (I only carry rarely) is a snub nose .38 special. I've shot these things muchly over the years; I know what they can do and I know my firearm. With only five shots, I do not feel potentially outgunned.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
Can't go wrong with a snubbie. Make sure to post a review once you've had it out at the range. Be interested to hear how this compares to Ruger's LCR and the S&W Bodyguard.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleeharris View Post
Can't go wrong with a snubbie. Make sure to post a review once you've had it out at the range. Be interested to hear how this compares to Ruger's LCR and the S&W Bodyguard.
LCR and Bodyguard are autos right?

edit: nm I see they make them in revolvers too

Here's a comparable revolver I am looking at: SW MP340

The larger .357 is a requirement for my use

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y
Old 06-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
hillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant future

Name: Daniel
hillbillytoyo's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=especk;5244221]LCR and Bodyguard are autos right?

edit: nm I see they make them in revolvers too

Here's a comparable revolver I am looking at: SW MP340

The larger .357 is a requirement for my use

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...w_Y[/QUOTE]

S&W does make an auto Bodyguard but the Ruger auto is a LCP. The Taurus is about half the price of the S&W.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
my brother has the SW lightweight in .38. his friend has a similar pistol in .357...they shoot alot. they are both cops. that .357 is not fun to shoot. i tried it. if feels like a i am slapping my hand with a 2x4. the .38 is the opposite. fair kick, but i can group nicely with it. the .38 would be the better choice in my hands.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
my brother has the SW lightweight in .38. his friend has a similar pistol in .357...they shoot alot. they are both cops. that .357 is not fun to shoot. i tried it. if feels like a i am slapping my hand with a 2x4. the .38 is the opposite. fair kick, but i can group nicely with it. the .38 would be the better choice in my hands.
If you need to drop a guy coming at you with a weapon, you're going to want a .357. Plus with the .357, you can shoot .38s. The .357 is nice because it gives you the option to do both.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by especk View Post
If you need to drop a guy coming at you with a weapon, you're going to want a .357. Plus with the .357, you can shoot .38s. The .357 is nice because it gives you the option to do both.
seriously..a .357 can use a .38 bullet?

i'm fucking with you. i would be fine with a .38.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
Banned
SlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to behold

SlamFire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
seriously..a .357 can use a .38 bullet?

i'm fucking with you. i would be fine with a .38.
A .38 special bullet measures .357 inch diameter, same as the bullet in a .357 mag. .357 mag cartridge measures .135 longer than the .38 Special.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamFire View Post
A .38 special bullet measures .357 inch diameter, same as the bullet in a .357 mag. .357 mag cartridge measures .135 longer than the .38 Special.
sorry you missed my sarcasm.

funny how the mere mention of the lowly .38 always brings up someone saying to get the .357 because of the option to shoot the two calibers. it is universal..anywhere anyplace...38 special! "hey, you know the .357 can shoot ......"