Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Decided on a rifle, but not sure which pistol to buy...?

View Poll Results: Which pistol to choose?
Sig 226 32 36.36%
Beretta 92FS 16 18.18%
Glock 19 40 45.45%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #21
Yuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant future
Name: Lee
Yuma Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I voted 226 but I prefer Ruger SR or older P series.
SIG is my second line...... A 229 tactical would be another choice???

YT,
Old 06-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #22
usfatboy01 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
usfatboy01's Tacoma Gallery
This
Old 06-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #23
Deuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Deuxdiesel's Tacoma Gallery
I had a Springfield 1911 chambered in 9mm. Loved that gun. Miss that gun.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #24
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolland83 View Post
Glock makes a great gun, simple, reliable, proven design. However, for me, the grip angle feels funny. I want a natural point and shoot gun, where it feels just like pointing my finger at the target, with the Glock it always seems if I do that the barrel is tilted upwards because of the grip angle. I ended up selling my Glock after I tried a Springfield XD, it's built pretty similar to the Glock as far as the safety and firing mechanisms go, but most of the internal parts are thicker than on the Glock. The grip angle is perfect for me, and the thing is damn accurate. It's easily as popular as the Glock is, and has quite a few aftermarket parts available, however they are a little bit more expensive than the Glocks. If you haven't tried one, you should at least check them out, see if you can do a side by side comparison with the Glock, see which one feels more natural to aim, I'm betting you'll like the XD.
I have to +1 this. Even though I gave a giant response swearing my loyalties to Glock, I must say that the XD feels more comfortable to me and I am more accurate with it. Unfortunately, I didn't try this weapon before purchase. I'm not a fan of the XD grip safety, but I guess I could get used to it.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #25
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
I'll just leave this here as my vote for what you should get

Old 06-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #26
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
I've put 200 rds through an xd40 and it is very accurate, but I didn't like the grip all that much. I have rather thin hands so such a full grip on that xd wasn't ergonomic for me
Old 06-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #27
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Ahh ok well then from the 3 you have listed i would get the beretta, not a fan of the 226 and prefer the g17 over the g19 just like how it feels in the hands better
Old 06-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #28
Ka like a wheel
F75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
F75gunslinger's Tacoma Gallery
If you're looking for home defense and recreation,not carry,I would also suggest a full sized 1911 ( I carry my Sig 1911 all the time,but not everyone likes a full sized 1911 for carry). They're available in many different flavors and are customizable to the point of insanity. Just about every manufacturer has a 1911 model available,so you can pick and choose there as well.

Springfield
Smith and Wesson
Sig Sauer
Colt
Taurus
Remington
Kimber
STI
Les Baer
Cylinder and Slide
Wilson Combat

The list goes on and on. But for longevity,available options ( both from the maker and the aftermarket ) available calibers , and price range that would be my suggestion.

My Sig Sauer 1911 Classic in reversed two-tone finish,checkered front and backstraps,bar/dor Trijicon night sights,and the sweetest trigger pull I've ever had on a 1911.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #29
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I voted for the G19 but I recommend the G23
Old 06-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #30
triumphx is on a distinguished road

triumphx's Tacoma Gallery
I vote Glock, yes glock...i wouldnt do anything without my glock....glock hands down best gun....i wouldnt be alive if it wasnt for my trusty glock.....Dont buy a glock like all the other bandwagoners. It depends if its for protection around the house, concealed carry, recreation? For recreation(what you listed) i would recommend the 92fs in stainless, the blued 92fs are known for cracking issues since the they are made out of a weeker steel than the military issue. What i recommend for recreation and home security would either be hk usp or 1911. For Concealed carry, i love my ruger lcp.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #31
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Tough call of those 3.
I have a G26 and 92FS. I really like the Glock, but I really like the Beretta.

One thing to keep in mind is that, unlike the 1911, the 92FS uses a decocker safety, so that first shot is a LONG D/A trigger pull. After that, it's a standard 1911 S/A pull until you put it back on safe.
Of course, the Glock lacks an external/manual safety so it's ready to go with a consistent trigger pull/break on any round in the mag.

The 92FS is a rock solid piece of hardware, and it feels like it.
For a carry piece, I'd want the lighter weight of the Glock.
For recoil control and comfort in operation, the heavier 92FS wins out over the Glock.

Accuracy is comparable, but if you want to switch to night sights, the 92FS will require some fitment and will need a smith... the Glock simply requires a sight pusher (and the proper sight).
Old 06-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #32
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2Queens6 View Post
I've put 200 rds through an xd40 and it is very accurate, but I didn't like the grip all that much. I have rather thin hands so such a full grip on that xd wasn't ergonomic for me
I love my XD9 Service, but I really do not like the grip safety.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #33
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah. The grip safety was bothersome for me. Its that minor positive pressure in my palm that was just annoying
Old 06-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2Queens6 View Post
Yeah. The grip safety was bothersome for me. Its that minor positive pressure in my palm that was just annoying
I have no trouble shooting it, but my wife occasionally "misses" the safety.
My issue is that it must be depressed to rack the slide and to field strip.

When I'm pulling the slide back to chamber it's not a problem, but when pulling back to field strip, or to lock the slide back to show clear at the range, I'm gripping at a different angle so I can get to the slide stop and depressing the safety is a pain.

BUT....

I do prefer it's takedown procedure over the Glock's.
With the XD's takedown procedure, you have to be a BIGTIME dummy to pop the trigger on a live chamber since you have to lock the slide back to flip the takedown lever, THEN you release the slide and pop the trigger.

With the Glock, it doesn't force you to eject the live round... you can move the slide back enough to release the takedown catch with one in the pipe.
Yes, it's still against safety procedure to begin takedown without verifying empty, but the fact that it's so easy with the Glock vs the XD makes me prefer the XD's takedown procedure.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #35
300rem7 will become famous soon enough

Navy: SSBN 738 (G) Missile Tech
300rem7's Tacoma Gallery
My suggestion would be to shoot everything that you are considering and even the ones you aren't. You can rent pistols at most gun ranges you may have to visit several ranges to get all the test fires done. It is better to spend the $30 rental fee to test fire guns than spend the $600 and figure out that you don't like it. I equate to buying a car without driving it.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #36
lizard1 is on a distinguished road
lizard1's Tacoma Gallery
Bottom line: what do you feel most comfortable with. Your point of aim...target acquisition...and firing downrange. If it fits well and you're confident with it that's the gun for you. Regardless weather it's a 9mm, 40cal or 45cal. My 2 cents worth
Old 06-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #37
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Id go glock, However if you want a light concealable handgun that packs aa punch. I'd look into the smith and wesson model 60 snub nose revolver in 357 magnum. I recently purchased one for a mountain side arm and I am in love with it!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #38
Glocking Tall
TS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police Officer
TS1980's Tacoma Gallery
Buy whatever makes you happy. Shoot all of them then decide.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:39 AM   #39
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Glocks

Couple of things to consider...........

Get a .22 conversion kit. It will pay for itself quickly.

With Glock, you can go full size to sub-compact and from 9mm to 45 acp and everything inbetween without learning anything different. All of the controls are the same.

Like to get my hands on a Glock 25 or 28 in 380
Old 07-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #40
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente View Post
Couple of things to consider...........

Get a .22 conversion kit. It will pay for itself quickly.

With Glock, you can go full size to sub-compact and from 9mm to 45 acp and everything inbetween without learning anything different. All of the controls are the same.

Like to get my hands on a Glock 25 or 28 in 380
Same is true for 1911, CZ, plenty of other handguns with more personality than a Glock.
Glock is like a shovel....basic, it works, and as dull and boring as they come.
Get something with a higher cool factor.
It will have much better resale than a Glock, too.
BTW, if a grip safety 'bothers you', you lack basic handgun training...a grip safety is a basic and automatic as it gets....you shouldn't even notice it.