Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Decided on a rifle, but not sure which pistol to buy...?

View Poll Results: Which pistol to choose?
Sig 226 32 36.36%
Beretta 92FS 16 18.18%
Glock 19 40 45.45%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
Decided on a rifle, but not sure which pistol to buy...?

So I decided I'm buying an LWRC M6A3 DMR with the 18 inch barrel in green running a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 with the BDC redical mounted on Nikon's 20 MOA mount.

But I'm not sure what which pistol to purchase. Still stuck on that part.... SO help me choose tacomaworld with your wealth of knowledge... I know the sig and the glock have a 22LR conversion which is a plus, and all of these pistols are fairly iconic which I do like, but I like all 3, and can only afford one.

I have also fired a few hundred rounds through each of the pistols, and I like the feel of all of them, but all for different reasons.

I like the heft and weight of the sig 226 in SS. (I also like that it doesn't have a safety).

I like the light weight of the glock 19.

I like the low recoil of the 92FS. (I do like the obvious slide safety).

I like how the 226 and 92FS have true DA/SA action.

I like how the glock is the cheapest, but if I have a $2500 rifle, cost really isn't an issue. etc etc...
Old 06-24-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
If money's no issue get a nice 1911, springfield mc operator.
Or hell a Wilson combat.

Plus this is the wrong section...
Old 06-24-2012, 02:46 AM   #3
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Rock out with your Glock out! Glock - Perfection

Glock 22 (.40S&W) My duty weapon. Love it!

If I may, I think a VERY important bit of information you left out is the reason for your pistol. Duty weapon, Home defense, CCW, etc, etc??

Just a warning, NO gun question goes smoothly. This WILL, and I repeat WILL, turn into a very heated debate. People will argue caliper size, stopping power, quality, simplicity, no/safety, and much much more.

Ill take a wild guess and say that because its the model 19 which is a compact 9mm, it probably not for any type of work related purchase or else it would be a full size 17, its also not likely to be for CCW for the simple fact you live in cali, and plus if it was you would probably choose model 26 for subcompact carry. That being said Im putting my money on home defense. Your 9mm selection is going to be the big debate I think.

My personal opinion (besides that I say GLOCK all day) is that 9mm is great for many reasons, but you may want to consider slightly stepping it up. I really dont wanna argue my point with a ton of other people because really all that matters is what YOU like, so id say go with whichever your MOST COMFORTABLE with. Im a Glock fan for many reason... proven reliability, readily available aftermarket ad-ons, EASY to disassemble and clean, very few parts to worry about, no hammer, 3 safeties yet nothing you have to worry about in the heat of the moment, and i could go on.

Ultimately the choice is yours. Id say rent them all at the same time and shoot them back to back to back. What feels best? What are you most accurate with? What serves its purpose the best? Do you really need to spend more than $600 for a home defense weapon especially if the cheapest option is americas number 1 carried sidearm by LE? ... ask yourself questions like this. Its a choice ONLY YOU can make, because everyone and their mother is going to have a "better" gun argument than the person before them.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:26 AM   #4
Have a coke and a smile and shut the f#%k up!
hogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
hogeyphenogey's Tacoma Gallery
Go grab a Sigpro 2022 9mm. It's got the poly lower and no safety. Worth taking a look at if you like the sig and the glock. I bought one and love it. Night sights, front picitinny, feels good and shoots well. See how it fits your hand.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:35 AM   #6
glk21c is on a distinguished road

glk21c's Tacoma Gallery
a Springfield XD or CZ-SP01 might be better choices, better point of aim
Old 06-24-2012, 05:12 AM   #7
2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough

2004tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
HK usp in .45 or FNH45. Nothing like a .45 Cal hole or Glock G20 or G2910mm for fun.
I have all three and love them all.
G19 is great for carry and the others are easily concealed but a little on the heavy side but with a good iwb holster you get used to it.
Find a rental range and try them out. I find them all extremely controllable.
I find the CZ SP-01 a little on the heavy side for daily carry but the CZ-P01 not as bad.
I always fine myself going with the Glock, FNH or HK when I carry.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #8
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
1911.... if you want top of the line look at wilson, nighthawk, or kimber. Alittle bit down the line but still great guns you have Springfield and S&W. All great choices and amazing guns.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:17 AM   #9
TOYWERX Grill Sergeant
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
Rock out with your Glock out! Glock - Perfection

Glock 22 (.40S&W) My duty weapon. Love it!

If I may, I think a VERY important bit of information you left out is the reason for your pistol. Duty weapon, Home defense, CCW, etc, etc??

Just a warning, NO gun question goes smoothly. This WILL, and I repeat WILL, turn into a very heated debate. People will argue caliper size, stopping power, quality, simplicity, no/safety, and much much more.

Ill take a wild guess and say that because its the model 19 which is a compact 9mm, it probably not for any type of work related purchase or else it would be a full size 17, its also not likely to be for CCW for the simple fact you live in cali, and plus if it was you would probably choose model 26 for subcompact carry. That being said Im putting my money on home defense. Your 9mm selection is going to be the big debate I think.

My personal opinion (besides that I say GLOCK all day) is that 9mm is great for many reasons, but you may want to consider slightly stepping it up. I really dont wanna argue my point with a ton of other people because really all that matters is what YOU like, so id say go with whichever your MOST COMFORTABLE with. Im a Glock fan for many reason... proven reliability, readily available aftermarket ad-ons, EASY to disassemble and clean, very few parts to worry about, no hammer, 3 safeties yet nothing you have to worry about in the heat of the moment, and i could go on.

Ultimately the choice is yours. Id say rent them all at the same time and shoot them back to back to back. What feels best? What are you most accurate with? What serves its purpose the best? Do you really need to spend more than $600 for a home defense weapon especially if the cheapest option is americas number 1 carried sidearm by LE? ... ask yourself questions like this. Its a choice ONLY YOU can make, because everyone and their mother is going to have a "better" gun argument than the person before them.
+1 for an awesome response.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #10
762NateOh is on a distinguished road
Name: Nate
762NateOh's Tacoma Gallery
If I could only have one handgun, it would be a Glock 19.
But fortunately, I can have more than one, so I have 3 Glock 19's.

When I first got into pistols, I was way more concerned with features and style.
After I started shooting a bit, I realized what really mattered, and I suppose more importantly what doesn't.
I didn't like the Glock's initially, as I didn't see them as anything special. I wanted the HK's, and Sigs, and 'fancy' guns.

I've pretty much fallen in love with the simplicity, and size of the glock. Parts are cheap and available, I can do everything myself, and fortunately you don't need to do much in the first place.

The biggest thing I think people overlook is the trigger. Everytime I hear someone bash a striker fired trigger in favor of an DA/SA platform, I really don't think they understand the concept.
They go to the range with their sig, load the magazine, rack the slide, shoot their 15rds, and reload. Do that 5-10 times, and go home.
The problem with that, is they never shoot the double action trigger. Now if you don't rely on the gun for home protection or carry, I suppose that's not a big deal. But that DA to SA transition is really hard to gain proficiency with - especially for a new shooter.
I like the Glock trigger, it has a good reset, and it breaks pretty far forward.

Knowing what I know now, I wish the Glock 19 was my first handgun - it wouldn't be my last, and there is nothing wrong with having those guns you just plain enjoy shooting - but for a good reliable tool that can play many roles, the Glock 19 is hard to beat.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
If you are inclined to spend a bit more, get a custom Glock 19. With Glock patents expired, there are now custom Glocks.

For example: http://www.onesourcetactical.com/tsd...x#.T-cmp815G7x

Old 06-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #12
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
I voted Glock, but it should be whatever fits in your hand comfortably. I went to a show and just tried a bunch side by side. Ended up with a Glock 26 and some 17rd mags.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #13
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
Holy crap. I completely thought I was in the guns and hunting section when I made this thread. I'll pm a mod to move

Glock is also winning out... Hmmmm.... I need to go rent that glock again.

And yes, this purchase is for home defense/recreation.

Thank you to Chris4x4 for moving my thread.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #14
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
... no mention of S&W M&P?

- ambi mag release
- ambi slide lock
- interchangeable backstraps (3 sizes)
- takedown w/out pulling trigger
- external thumb safety optional
- very manageable
- lifetime warranty

Old 06-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
bolland83 is on a distinguished road

Name: Gaelen
bolland83's Tacoma Gallery
Glock makes a great gun, simple, reliable, proven design. However, for me, the grip angle feels funny. I want a natural point and shoot gun, where it feels just like pointing my finger at the target, with the Glock it always seems if I do that the barrel is tilted upwards because of the grip angle. I ended up selling my Glock after I tried a Springfield XD, it's built pretty similar to the Glock as far as the safety and firing mechanisms go, but most of the internal parts are thicker than on the Glock. The grip angle is perfect for me, and the thing is damn accurate. It's easily as popular as the Glock is, and has quite a few aftermarket parts available, however they are a little bit more expensive than the Glocks. If you haven't tried one, you should at least check them out, see if you can do a side by side comparison with the Glock, see which one feels more natural to aim, I'm betting you'll like the XD.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #16
TieDie
Tiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the rough

Tiedie's Tacoma Gallery
No vote from me ,I like the IWI Baby Desert Eagle.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #17
DestroyerFan is a glorious beacon of lightDestroyerFan is a glorious beacon of lightDestroyerFan is a glorious beacon of lightDestroyerFan is a glorious beacon of lightDestroyerFan is a glorious beacon of light

DestroyerFan's Tacoma Gallery
I voted for the p226. It feels better to me in my hand but, that's just personal preference. And my wife likes the feel of the p226 also. In fact that's gun she rents when we go to the range. She really likes it out of all the guns she has tried. So now we are in the market for a p226 stainless Elite 9mm. She says why stop in the middle of the road when you can go top of the line. I prefer my Double Eagle over any other pistol I shoot.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #18
TheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Seth
TheGloryFades's Tacoma Gallery
As has been stated everyone has their favorite handgun and mine is my 1911 but out of those three I would say the glock reluctantly and only because it's what I have experience with. Do yourself a favor and check out the S&W M&P line if you haven't already very comfortable light guns
Old 06-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #19
MotorsportsAustin has a spectacular aura aboutMotorsportsAustin has a spectacular aura aboutMotorsportsAustin has a spectacular aura about
Name: Austin
MotorsportsAustin's Tacoma Gallery
I recommend Ruger, but in addition to them making excellent firearms, that's also because I buy American made whenever I have the choice and Ruger isn't owned by an investment bank or other corporate interest, and has no negative history (like Kimber's ownership ripping off the original team).
Old 06-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #20
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
"Kimber 45", couple to chose from, if $$$$ is no object.