1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Decided on a rifle, but not sure which pistol to buy...?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Bishop2Queens6, Jun 23, 2012.

?

Which pistol to choose?

Poll closed Aug 2, 2012.
  1. Sig 226

32 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Beretta 92FS

16 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Glock 19

40 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Jun 23, 2012 at 10:57 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    So I decided I'm buying an LWRC M6A3 DMR with the 18 inch barrel in green running a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 with the BDC redical mounted on Nikon's 20 MOA mount.

But I'm not sure what which pistol to purchase. Still stuck on that part.... SO help me choose tacomaworld with your wealth of knowledge... I know the sig and the glock have a 22LR conversion which is a plus, and all of these pistols are fairly iconic which I do like, but I like all 3, and can only afford one.

I have also fired a few hundred rounds through each of the pistols, and I like the feel of all of them, but all for different reasons.

I like the heft and weight of the sig 226 in SS. (I also like that it doesn't have a safety).

I like the light weight of the glock 19.

I like the low recoil of the 92FS. (I do like the obvious slide safety).

I like how the 226 and 92FS have true DA/SA action.

I like how the glock is the cheapest, but if I have a $2500 rifle, cost really isn't an issue. etc etc...

2. Jun 24, 2012 at 2:09 AM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    If money's no issue get a nice 1911, springfield mc operator.
    Or hell a Wilson combat.

Plus this is the wrong section...

3. Jun 24, 2012 at 2:46 AM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    Rock out with your Glock out! Glock - Perfection :)

Glock 22 (.40S&W) My duty weapon. Love it!

IMG_20120508_220244_8c3d95f81ae39c278ba20ba6c67796622aa60009.jpg
    IMG_20120508_220348_0e16c117c321e153c2b115fc3536bbf3e4c89fe8.jpg

If I may, I think a VERY important bit of information you left out is the reason for your pistol. Duty weapon, Home defense, CCW, etc, etc??

Just a warning, NO gun question goes smoothly. This WILL, and I repeat WILL, turn into a very heated debate. People will argue caliper size, stopping power, quality, simplicity, no/safety, and much much more.

Ill take a wild guess and say that because its the model 19 which is a compact 9mm, it probably not for any type of work related purchase or else it would be a full size 17, its also not likely to be for CCW for the simple fact you live in cali, and plus if it was you would probably choose model 26 for subcompact carry. That being said Im putting my money on home defense. Your 9mm selection is going to be the big debate I think.

My personal opinion (besides that I say GLOCK all day) is that 9mm is great for many reasons, but you may want to consider slightly stepping it up. I really dont wanna argue my point with a ton of other people because really all that matters is what YOU like, so id say go with whichever your MOST COMFORTABLE with. Im a Glock fan for many reason... proven reliability, readily available aftermarket ad-ons, EASY to disassemble and clean, very few parts to worry about, no hammer, 3 safeties yet nothing you have to worry about in the heat of the moment, and i could go on.

Ultimately the choice is yours. Id say rent them all at the same time and shoot them back to back to back. What feels best? What are you most accurate with? What serves its purpose the best? Do you really need to spend more than $600 for a home defense weapon especially if the cheapest option is americas number 1 carried sidearm by LE? ... ask yourself questions like this. Its a choice ONLY YOU can make, because everyone and their mother is going to have a "better" gun argument than the person before them.

4. Jun 24, 2012 at 4:26 AM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    Go grab a Sigpro 2022 9mm. It's got the poly lower and no safety. Worth taking a look at if you like the sig and the glock. I bought one and love it. Night sights, front picitinny, feels good and shoots well. See how it fits your hand.

5. Jun 24, 2012 at 4:29 AM
    shweller

shweller Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corona
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport SB 4x4
    PoP 'N' Lock Satoshi Grill (Did it Myself) DSM UCA's (Desert Products) FXR 1.1 w/Gatling Gun Shrouds Phillips 85122 Method Racing Wheels HID Hella 500's behind Satoshi grill Fog Light Anytime Illuminated 4x4 Switch Ultragauge PIAA 510"s King Coilovers w/resi's Rear TSB Leaf Packs All Pro Sliders Bolt on sliders 255/75 R17 BF Goodrich Mudders Spidertrax wheel spacers Neoprene arm rests Weathertechs Wet Okoles w/TRD Allpro Ofrroad Apex bumper and IFS skid plate
    Might want to try the guns and hunting section...

6. Jun 24, 2012 at 4:35 AM
    glk21c

glk21c Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    a Springfield XD or CZ-SP01 might be better choices, better point of aim

7. Jun 24, 2012 at 5:12 AM
    2004tacoprerunner

2004tacoprerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    byron, mn
    Vehicle:
    2004tacoprerunner
    HK usp in .45 or FNH45. Nothing like a .45 Cal hole or Glock G20 or G2910mm for fun.
    I have all three and love them all.
    G19 is great for carry and the others are easily concealed but a little on the heavy side but with a good iwb holster you get used to it.
    Find a rental range and try them out. I find them all extremely controllable.
    I find the CZ SP-01 a little on the heavy side for daily carry but the CZ-P01 not as bad.
    I always fine myself going with the Glock, FNH or HK when I carry.

8. Jun 24, 2012 at 6:39 AM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    1911.... if you want top of the line look at wilson, nighthawk, or kimber. Alittle bit down the line but still great guns you have Springfield and S&W. All great choices and amazing guns.

9. Jun 24, 2012 at 7:17 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    +1 for an awesome response. :cool:

10. Jun 24, 2012 at 7:21 AM
    762NateOh

762NateOh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner SR5
    If I could only have one handgun, it would be a Glock 19.
    But fortunately, I can have more than one, so I have 3 Glock 19's.

When I first got into pistols, I was way more concerned with features and style.
    After I started shooting a bit, I realized what really mattered, and I suppose more importantly what doesn't.
    I didn't like the Glock's initially, as I didn't see them as anything special. I wanted the HK's, and Sigs, and 'fancy' guns.

I've pretty much fallen in love with the simplicity, and size of the glock. Parts are cheap and available, I can do everything myself, and fortunately you don't need to do much in the first place.

The biggest thing I think people overlook is the trigger. Everytime I hear someone bash a striker fired trigger in favor of an DA/SA platform, I really don't think they understand the concept.
    They go to the range with their sig, load the magazine, rack the slide, shoot their 15rds, and reload. Do that 5-10 times, and go home.
    The problem with that, is they never shoot the double action trigger. Now if you don't rely on the gun for home protection or carry, I suppose that's not a big deal. But that DA to SA transition is really hard to gain proficiency with - especially for a new shooter.
    I like the Glock trigger, it has a good reset, and it breaks pretty far forward.

Knowing what I know now, I wish the Glock 19 was my first handgun - it wouldn't be my last, and there is nothing wrong with having those guns you just plain enjoy shooting - but for a good reliable tool that can play many roles, the Glock 19 is hard to beat.

11. Jun 24, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
  12. Jun 24, 2012 at 7:45 AM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    I voted Glock, but it should be whatever fits in your hand comfortably. I went to a show and just tried a bunch side by side. Ended up with a Glock 26 and some 17rd mags.

13. Jun 24, 2012 at 7:55 AM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    Holy crap. I completely thought I was in the guns and hunting section when I made this thread. I'll pm a mod to move

Glock is also winning out... Hmmmm.... I need to go rent that glock again.

And yes, this purchase is for home defense/recreation.

Thank you to Chris4x4 for moving my thread.

14. Jun 24, 2012 at 9:19 AM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    ... no mention of S&W M&P? :argue:
    :D

:quickdraw:
    - ambi mag release
    - ambi slide lock
    - interchangeable backstraps (3 sizes)
    - takedown w/out pulling trigger
    - external thumb safety optional
    - very manageable
    - lifetime warranty

:playball:

15. Jun 24, 2012 at 9:40 AM
    bolland83

bolland83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gaelen
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 Reg Cab 4X4
    Bilstien 5100 lifted struts, rear lift shackle, Pro Comp 16" rims, 265-75 tires, Kc light bar, Hella spotlights, Rock slider bars, Intake and Exhaust
    Glock makes a great gun, simple, reliable, proven design. However, for me, the grip angle feels funny. I want a natural point and shoot gun, where it feels just like pointing my finger at the target, with the Glock it always seems if I do that the barrel is tilted upwards because of the grip angle. I ended up selling my Glock after I tried a Springfield XD, it's built pretty similar to the Glock as far as the safety and firing mechanisms go, but most of the internal parts are thicker than on the Glock. The grip angle is perfect for me, and the thing is damn accurate. It's easily as popular as the Glock is, and has quite a few aftermarket parts available, however they are a little bit more expensive than the Glocks. If you haven't tried one, you should at least check them out, see if you can do a side by side comparison with the Glock, see which one feels more natural to aim, I'm betting you'll like the XD.

16. Jun 24, 2012 at 9:46 AM
    Tiedie

Tiedie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    WFOY
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 V6
    Katzkin, Dobinsons full suspension. Redlinegoods console cover and door panel arm rests, Double USB charger in dash installed, Ballistic Jesters 16x8. BlackVue DR 590 Dash Cam
    No vote from me ,I like the IWI Baby Desert Eagle.

[​IMG]:cool:

17. Jun 24, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    DestroyerFan

DestroyerFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 MagGray PreRunner SR5 Sport
    I voted for the p226. It feels better to me in my hand but, that's just personal preference. And my wife likes the feel of the p226 also. In fact that's gun she rents when we go to the range. She really likes it out of all the guns she has tried. So now we are in the market for a p226 stainless Elite 9mm. She says why stop in the middle of the road when you can go top of the line. :rolleyes: I prefer my Double Eagle over any other pistol I shoot.

18. Jun 24, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    TheGloryFades

TheGloryFades Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '13 toaster
    As has been stated everyone has their favorite handgun and mine is my 1911 but out of those three I would say the glock reluctantly and only because it's what I have experience with. Do yourself a favor and check out the S&W M&P line if you haven't already very comfortable light guns

19. Jun 24, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    MotorsportsAustin

MotorsportsAustin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    I recommend Ruger, but in addition to them making excellent firearms, that's also because I buy American made whenever I have the choice and Ruger isn't owned by an investment bank or other corporate interest, and has no negative history (like Kimber's ownership ripping off the original team).

20. Jun 24, 2012 at 10:01 AM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    "Kimber 45", couple to chose from, if $$$$ is no object.

Products Discussed in

To Top