1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

He shot himself

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by SlamFire, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Jun 27, 2012 at 5:44 AM
    SlamFire

SlamFire [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    +
    I work in a knife shop, and our customer base is about the same as that of a gun shop. Except for the chefs & homemakers who come in for our fine kitchen cutlery, or for sharpening of same. Nothing new when a gun owner came in to look around last week. A dumpy little guy with 511 tactical pants, held up by one of those 'tactical' belts, wearing a safari jacket. No insult meant to people here that prefer that type of dress. Just sayin'.

I noticed his limp, and he got around to annoucing to me that he had recently shot himself in the leg with his concealed carry piece. Turned out it was a Kahr .45. He even brought out of his pocket the bullet that would have killed him if it even came close the femoral artery. One of those defensive all copper things that expand into 7 razor sharp 'petals'.

He'd gone into his bathroom to take a BM. He'd removed firearm from his inside the pants holster and laid it on the vanity. After finishing up and pulling up his pants, he'd tried to reholster. Tried to. Something hung it up. So he tried harder. Much harder. And the .45 went off, leaving what he told me was a small hole going in, a much larger one coming out. Serious surgery, he told me. I listened fascinated, mostly amazed someone would admit to a complete stanger (or to anyone) such a stupid action. He seemed almost proud of it. No kidding.

Then he reached with left hand to pull up his safari jacket, his right moving as if to draw. He wanted to show me the piece he'd irresponsibly handled at least once, with near-deadly results.

"No", I told him. "No, please don't. "Don't show me, and you've got to leave. Leave now. Please". He looked at me like he couldn't figure out what kinda problem I had. Maybe he figured I was anti-gun (not, as I have a concealed permit myself). He shook his head and left, I was relieved when he did.

Not asking any of you if I was out of line, telling the idiot to leave. I already know I was not. Just thought I'd relate the story, illustrating as I do so my complete disgust with gun owners who are not responsible, not safe with a firearm, who have not learned how to use such, how to carry,
    have no common sense. Those who make the rest of us look bad. I resent that the most.

But if you ever come into my knife shop, telling me how you shot yourself, know that I will have no pity, and will make fun of you in a public forum. And refuse to allow you to stay.

2. Jun 27, 2012 at 5:51 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    :laugh:

So this guy either holsters his weapon with the safety off or somehow managed to turn the safety off and pull the trigger while aiming his gun in the general direction of his manhood. Brilliant! :rolleyes:

3. Jun 27, 2012 at 6:00 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You weren't out of line..... You work in a knife shop, not a gun shop. There is no need to expose a gun in a knife shop (unless if was already exposed when you walked in the door). For all you know...he could've been 'playing you' and once the gun was out.... stick it in your face and rob you.
    No gun etiquette what-so-ever.

I'm almost willing to BET - he hand crafted his holster himself (you should've looked at it!! LOL)

I would tend to think, a good quality (smartly made) holsters don't have issues like that. And the fact he shoved it in harder...Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :eek:

4. Jun 27, 2012 at 6:16 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    My confusion revolves around him passing the CHL course to get a permit to begin with, not your justifiable actions. Someone who would announce to perfect strangers his inability to safely handle a gun and try to flash it about in a place of business does not have any good reason to be carrying.

5. Jun 27, 2012 at 6:21 AM
    SlamFire

SlamFire [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    +
    Once again, no insult intended by the description of my visitor. I have a couple of Cabela's safari jackets, just what I am comfortable in. And some of you may find the rugged construction of 5-11 products very useful. And as for 'short and dumpy', well, probably few of us, including myself, are 6' tall and weight 180, and in prime physical condition.

6. Jun 27, 2012 at 7:06 AM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    They should pull his permit. And he should have never put you in that situation in the first place. I dont know MI laws but that would get his permit pulled in NY.

7. Jun 27, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    In PA - no courses are needed. It literally took me 5 minutes to get my CC permit.

There's a certain group of gun owners whom just don't have the 'responsibility gene' built into their brains. They'll just WING IT no matter what you try to teach them. A lot of people are probably carrying illegally anyway simply because they don't have any clues about their local gun laws.

8. Jun 27, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Wut?

the dude had shot himself in a prior incident...he was not there looking for medical help :rolleyes:
    The dude also went to reach for his gun, maybe not to pull it but he was going to show it (that is a no no).I would have tossed his ass out too.

or reading skills

9. Jun 27, 2012 at 7:28 AM
    Slodgetto

Slodgetto Über Posre

Member:
    First Name:
    Silas
    Wow.....

10. Jun 27, 2012 at 7:44 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    My mistake. I focused too much on the words "he had recently shot himself." Apologies to the OP. However, I still say accidents happen even to the very best.

-

11. Jun 27, 2012 at 8:03 AM
    rjg

rjg Yes

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Regular Cab 4x4 5 Spd 2.7
    LCE header, AFE filter, Blinglight Fogs, URD Short Shifter, Delay wipers

Ditto. At least he had a ND into himself and not someone else. But that could have been you when he tried to show you his CCW.

12. Jun 27, 2012 at 8:49 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    natural selection did not take place this day.

Yes, mistakes do happen but this guys actions inside the shop shows that he is not a competent gun owner.

13. Jun 27, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    OP, you did the right thing. I'm a huge pro-2A guy, but some people have no business carrying a firearm. Anyone, who talks about what they are carrying concealed and then wants to show you--often called "brandishing"--(let alone shooting himself)--should be beaten severely. This guy probably has a micro-penis and is compensating.

14. Jun 27, 2012 at 10:32 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    What? I bet he is much better at gun handling at this point. Now good thing you didn't let him handle a knife. He could have stabbed out his eye!

15. Jun 27, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    The only reason to pull your piece in public, is to shoot someone. He should have kept it in his pants. OP was justified in asking him to leave. The guy already admitted he was incompetent, and was trying to demonstrate it to you again.

16. Jul 10, 2012 at 8:06 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Here in ma if I show that I'm carrying in public I could lose my permit for life. I don't feel a bit sorry for the guy, carrying a loaded firearm is a huge responsibility.

17. Jul 10, 2012 at 8:13 PM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    wow. and of course it makes total sense that he would tell people about it, show them the bullet, and then want to show them the firearm... what a goof. i don't understand why people areso fascinated with showing off that they have a firearm. like someone said earlier, when you carry concealed you only take it out in public is to use it when justified. regarless of where he was when he shot himself, he shouldn't be showing anyone his firearm.

18. Jul 10, 2012 at 8:18 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Kahr 45 has no manual safety... similar to Glock, XD, and most other striker-fired handguns.

Very, very few dual-action revolvers have a manual safety... it's not unusual.

19. Jul 10, 2012 at 8:18 PM
    45acp

45acp Paint me back in Wyoming again...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Boring, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    1981 Long bed 4x4
  20. Jul 10, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member