Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

He shot himself

Old 06-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #1
Banned
SlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to behold

SlamFire's Tacoma Gallery
He shot himself

I work in a knife shop, and our customer base is about the same as that of a gun shop. Except for the chefs & homemakers who come in for our fine kitchen cutlery, or for sharpening of same. Nothing new when a gun owner came in to look around last week. A dumpy little guy with 511 tactical pants, held up by one of those 'tactical' belts, wearing a safari jacket. No insult meant to people here that prefer that type of dress. Just sayin'.

I noticed his limp, and he got around to annoucing to me that he had recently shot himself in the leg with his concealed carry piece. Turned out it was a Kahr .45. He even brought out of his pocket the bullet that would have killed him if it even came close the femoral artery. One of those defensive all copper things that expand into 7 razor sharp 'petals'.

He'd gone into his bathroom to take a BM. He'd removed firearm from his inside the pants holster and laid it on the vanity. After finishing up and pulling up his pants, he'd tried to reholster. Tried to. Something hung it up. So he tried harder. Much harder. And the .45 went off, leaving what he told me was a small hole going in, a much larger one coming out. Serious surgery, he told me. I listened fascinated, mostly amazed someone would admit to a complete stanger (or to anyone) such a stupid action. He seemed almost proud of it. No kidding.

Then he reached with left hand to pull up his safari jacket, his right moving as if to draw. He wanted to show me the piece he'd irresponsibly handled at least once, with near-deadly results.

"No", I told him. "No, please don't. "Don't show me, and you've got to leave. Leave now. Please". He looked at me like he couldn't figure out what kinda problem I had. Maybe he figured I was anti-gun (not, as I have a concealed permit myself). He shook his head and left, I was relieved when he did.

Not asking any of you if I was out of line, telling the idiot to leave. I already know I was not. Just thought I'd relate the story, illustrating as I do so my complete disgust with gun owners who are not responsible, not safe with a firearm, who have not learned how to use such, how to carry,
have no common sense. Those who make the rest of us look bad. I resent that the most.

But if you ever come into my knife shop, telling me how you shot yourself, know that I will have no pity, and will make fun of you in a public forum. And refuse to allow you to stay.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery

So this guy either holsters his weapon with the safety off or somehow managed to turn the safety off and pull the trigger while aiming his gun in the general direction of his manhood. Brilliant!
Old 06-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
You weren't out of line..... You work in a knife shop, not a gun shop. There is no need to expose a gun in a knife shop (unless if was already exposed when you walked in the door). For all you know...he could've been 'playing you' and once the gun was out.... stick it in your face and rob you.
No gun etiquette what-so-ever.

I'm almost willing to BET - he hand crafted his holster himself (you should've looked at it!! LOL)

I would tend to think, a good quality (smartly made) holsters don't have issues like that. And the fact he shoved it in harder...Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 06-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
My confusion revolves around him passing the CHL course to get a permit to begin with, not your justifiable actions. Someone who would announce to perfect strangers his inability to safely handle a gun and try to flash it about in a place of business does not have any good reason to be carrying.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
Banned
SlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to beholdSlamFire is a splendid one to behold

SlamFire's Tacoma Gallery
Once again, no insult intended by the description of my visitor. I have a couple of Cabela's safari jackets, just what I am comfortable in. And some of you may find the rugged construction of 5-11 products very useful. And as for 'short and dumpy', well, probably few of us, including myself, are 6' tall and weight 180, and in prime physical condition.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
My confusion revolves around him passing the CHL course to get a permit to begin with, not your justifiable actions. Someone who would announce to perfect strangers his inability to safely handle a gun and try to flash it about in a place of business does not have any good reason to be carrying.
In PA - no courses are needed. It literally took me 5 minutes to get my CC permit.

There's a certain group of gun owners whom just don't have the 'responsibility gene' built into their brains. They'll just WING IT no matter what you try to teach them. A lot of people are probably carrying illegally anyway simply because they don't have any clues about their local gun laws.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
Accidents happen, even to the very best of us. What you saw as pride may have been his attempt to put up a brave front. Why did he come into your store? Was he seeking your help, hoping you would call for medical assistance? If I were ever in that situation (injured), I would certainly hope any person I approached reacted a bit differently - perhaps helping instead of tossing me out.
Wut?

the dude had shot himself in a prior incident...he was not there looking for medical help
The dude also went to reach for his gun, maybe not to pull it but he was going to show it (that is a no no).I would have tossed his ass out too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamFire View Post

have no common sense. Those who make the rest of us look bad. I resent that the most.
or reading skills
Old 06-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #10
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Wow.....
Old 06-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
Wut?

the dude had shot himself in a prior incident...he was not there looking for medical help (snip)
My mistake. I focused too much on the words "he had recently shot himself." Apologies to the OP. However, I still say accidents happen even to the very best.

-
Old 06-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #12
Yes
rjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
rjg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXdoer View Post
What a dumbass

Ditto. At least he had a ND into himself and not someone else. But that could have been you when he tried to show you his CCW.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #13
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
Why was said idiot in the shop? Was he touched mentally that you could tell?
I may catch hell for this but, I have no tolerence and no sympathy for the stupid. Thank God the bullet didnt travel through a wall and kill a child or anyone for that matter.
Its unfortunate that he made it out of the shitter to seek medical attention.
natural selection did not take place this day.

Yes, mistakes do happen but this guys actions inside the shop shows that he is not a competent gun owner.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #14
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
OP, you did the right thing. I'm a huge pro-2A guy, but some people have no business carrying a firearm. Anyone, who talks about what they are carrying concealed and then wants to show you--often called "brandishing"--(let alone shooting himself)--should be beaten severely. This guy probably has a micro-penis and is compensating.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #15
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
What? I bet he is much better at gun handling at this point. Now good thing you didn't let him handle a knife. He could have stabbed out his eye!
Old 06-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #16
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
The only reason to pull your piece in public, is to shoot someone. He should have kept it in his pants. OP was justified in asking him to leave. The guy already admitted he was incompetent, and was trying to demonstrate it to you again.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #17
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Here in ma if I show that I'm carrying in public I could lose my permit for life. I don't feel a bit sorry for the guy, carrying a loaded firearm is a huge responsibility.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #18
Adrenaline Addict
Mx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mx SuperFly 25's Tacoma Gallery
wow. and of course it makes total sense that he would tell people about it, show them the bullet, and then want to show them the firearm... what a goof. i don't understand why people areso fascinated with showing off that they have a firearm. like someone said earlier, when you carry concealed you only take it out in public is to use it when justified. regarless of where he was when he shot himself, he shouldn't be showing anyone his firearm.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #20
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post

So this guy either holsters his weapon with the safety off or somehow managed to turn the safety off and pull the trigger while aiming his gun in the general direction of his manhood. Brilliant!
Kahr 45 has no manual safety... similar to Glock, XD, and most other striker-fired handguns.

Very, very few dual-action revolvers have a manual safety... it's not unusual.