Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Any "shed hunters" here

Old 01-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
Any "shed hunters" here

I know after the season ends I try to hit the woods as much as I can.
A couple of years back I got into shed hunting. First off was just walking around but then I really got into it.
Found some nice sheds, plus was able to get a better idea of the lay of the land, plus know better the deer I am hunting.
Hopefully in couple of months they will be dropping here, but that will depend on the weather.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
on the land i currently hunt...well, i should say the land by the land i currntly hunt, i have walked some of it a few times and found some cool sheds. if we end up getting the new property we are looking at...i'll be doing more shed hunting in the spring.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
Stu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enough

Stu's Tacoma Gallery
Shed hunting, another name for chukar hunting, here, but they are the previous years' sheds.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
Carolina Alliance
jolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SSgt 6332
Name: Jim
jolayiv's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jolayiv
There is already a few bucks that have dropped their horns here. I'm sure it has something to do with all the dog hunters pushing them around though. Any tricks of the trade to shed hunting or do you just put in the foot work?
Old 01-02-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

longbow's Tacoma Gallery
Matter of fact yes their is some info on it, a guy named Joe Shead has a book and DVD out.
I was a little on the idea of a book, but I tell you what it is down to earth reading, very easy, and "it works". The big thing he pushed was take your time, and be able to see everything. Worked wonders for me last year, even found small spike sheds.
Try this if you want..... take a shed outside in the yard, turn around and throw it over you head, depending on your area throw it hard. Now try and find it, funny thing for me was I thought they alway landed flat on the side, I found them sticking tines in the ground, upside down and even in a cedar tree. The fresh drop sheds are the one that make my heart beat, they still have the fresh (bloody) skin ring on them, and the base is still some what soft.
Just dropped.....
Old 01-02-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
i couldnt figure out what you meant..i thought you meant you were hunting from sheds found in the woods..then i figured it out.

I have walked hundreds, if not thousands of miles in the woods since i was little..I have yet to find any sheds.

My dad found a left side years back, but thats it. guess them deers hide everything, themselves included
Old 01-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
maybe you guys just have alot of land to roam around in. jersey dosent have much. Guarenteed where i walk, at least 5 others will walk the same year.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #9

longbow's Tacoma Gallery
ya, that my be the case, thing is to find locations of bedding areas or not known about travel routes.
If the deer have been pressured find the way they are going and look their, also around low hanging limbs, and fence rows.
Don't look at your feet while walking, look at the ground about 15' ahead of you.
Give it a shot, I know I hit the same areas week after week, taking my time. Have found a shed 10' away from a shed I found the week before.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #10

Firefighter:
i usually dont look right at my feet..usually about 15' like you said. We travel alot of land over the winter..find alot of stuff, but nothing good..lol
Old 01-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #11
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Found a few sheds before around turkey season, usually chewed up a little by then.

If ya want some entertainment while in a tree stand next season, then take a few sheds you don't care about and drill a hole in them and tie them to a tree on the ground close to your treestand next year right before the season starts. Its fun to watch the squirrels and chipmunks chew on them and fight over them.

So everyone knows, these critters like to chew/eat them for their mineral benefits. Maybe other benefits as well.......
Old 01-02-2009, 06:51 PM   #12

Firefighter:
i may do that for next year. My dad works for the highway dept and he's always pulling BIG bucks off the road. Ill ask him to snag me a set for next year..lol
Old 02-24-2009, 05:12 AM   #13
teamoverkill.net
bowtroll is on a distinguished road
bowtroll's Tacoma Gallery
just had an awesome day with friends and my little man...
we found 9 sheds and 5 deads....
Attached Thumbnails
Any "shed hunters" here-sheddin1small.jpg   Any "shed hunters" here-dawsonanddadsmall.jpg   Any "shed hunters" here-freshbloodsmall.jpg  
Old 02-24-2009, 06:33 AM   #14
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtroll View Post
. Congrats on the finds. That is impressive!!!
Old 02-24-2009, 06:45 AM   #15
NicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
NicksRig's Tacoma Gallery
I do a lot of walking in the bush during forsest fire season and have found many. Both deer and moose, but usually have been on the ground for a while or burned by the fire and not in the best condition.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:29 AM   #16
type o negative is just really nicetype o negative is just really nicetype o negative is just really nicetype o negative is just really nice

type o negative's Tacoma Gallery
I have a buddy that depending on whos driving, we go shed hunting. He is obbessed, when hes driving for the weekend, its a weekend of Shed Hunting, if Im driving, its a weekend of Rabbit Hunting. Most of the time I get bored out of my mind Shed Hunting but When you come accross some big Bull Elk sheds, that gets your heart pumping a little.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:43 AM   #17
gonzo6up has a spectacular aura aboutgonzo6up has a spectacular aura about

gonzo6up's Tacoma Gallery
I have always wanted to try this but i wasn't sure when the best time would be to go depending on weather and timming. If anyone could give me some insight on when to look i would like to try it this year. I live in mid Tn so it doesn't start getting warm here for another few weeks.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:48 AM   #18
teamoverkill.net
bowtroll is on a distinguished road
bowtroll's Tacoma Gallery
Generally barring any stress on the deer they should start dropping at the end of Jan....but its pretty random...at least here in Md. while out looking we still see them carrying...and last year I saw one carrying his headgear til the middle of March....
Old 02-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #19
type o negative is just really nicetype o negative is just really nicetype o negative is just really nicetype o negative is just really nice

type o negative's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo6up View Post
I have always wanted to try this but i wasn't sure when the best time would be to go depending on weather and timming. If anyone could give me some insight on when to look i would like to try it this year. I live in mid Tn so it doesn't start getting warm here for another few weeks.

As soon as they start dropping in your area! This is a BIG hobby, at least in Utah. Although, be warned. The time they start dropping is still when they are down low, again at least in Utah. So do NOT chase them off. You can get in trouble for wildlife harrassment. Some states have laws as to when you can start shed hunting due to the harrassment issue.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #20

longbow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtroll View Post
Nice finds!!!
Hit the woods Sunday to look at some land to lease, did alot of walking, to much snow to spot sheds, plus here they still have horns on.
Found new rubs and a few high horn places, but no luck.
Will hit the other farm in March and hit the fields, jump locations, and bedding areas.
You got my blood going...................