LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

6.5 x 284 NORMA

Old 01-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
6.5 x 284 NORMA

Does anyone have experience with the 6.5x284 NORMA round?

I'm looking at getting into 1000 yard precision shooting.

Was just checking out the Savage Arms 12FTR Precision Target series (I'm kinda partial to that accutrigger).

http://savagearms.com/12benchrestdp.htm

How would the .223 remi do at 1000 yards? A .223 could be a dual-purpose rifle, if it's accurate out that far.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
1000 yards is pushin the .223 a bit far. I shoot a 308 out of a modded Remington 700 out to 500, and its pretty bothered by wind and such, even at that range.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
That's one of the things I was wondering about. I have a .17HMR now, it's a tiny little bullet but it travels so fast light winds don't bother it too much (at least at 100 - 150 yards). The 223 is tiny slug too so I was thinking it might act the same.

That Savage I linked to above shows a 1-in-8 twist for the 6.5 round, the .223 shows a 1-in-12 twist. So I can see how the 6.5 would want to stay truer in flight.
Long time back I bookmarked a chart someone came up with on drop and crosswind performance for various round sizes...and danged if I can find that link again.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Is this it?
http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/calculations/traj/traj.html

With a 1 in 12 twist for the .223, it better be 55 grain bullit. 1 in 12 would never stabalize anything larger, like a 62 gr. or higher. For match shooting I use a 70gr. bullit in my AR and it has a 1 in 9 twist.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #5

That page has a lot more info that the link I was using, gonna play with that for a while. Thanks!

I agree, a 1 in 12 on a 23 inch barrel isn't even two full revs before the slug sees light. Doesn't sound too cut out for accuracy.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
A .223 is no good for 1000 yards.

People have been using the 300 Win mag, 7mm Rem mag, .50 Cal, and I even use the .308 with the 175 grain bullets.

The 168gr Sierra Match Kings de-stabilize after 600 yards.