Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Wanting to buy my first AR15

Old 07-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #21
If ya ain't first, your last!
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
Name: Nate
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
I've been doing some searching on the Spikes Tactical website and they have an enormous amount of options. I was looking at uppers and they ranged from 7.5" to 16" . I take it that is the length of the barrel? This is going to be a long learning experience
Old 07-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #22
762NateOh is on a distinguished road
762NateOh's Tacoma Gallery
I'd look at spikes - I believe someone else mentioned them too.

A good mix of quality, without getting over the top price wise.

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/...ine-p-443.html

That would be a great starter rifle (or...a great leave it alone and shoot it rifle too).
Truthfully, the AR15 platform isn't rocket surgery. There are very few 'bad' rifles out there among the dozens of manufacturers.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #23
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Stubbs95tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Not saying I spent 3 grand on everything.... But I spent 3 grand lol.... Just stocked up on ammo yesterday 600 more rounds
Old 07-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #24
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs95tacoma View Post
Not saying I spent 3 grand on everything.... But I spent 3 grand lol.... Just stocked up on ammo yesterday 600 more rounds
Oh lord. Maybe I should get out while I still can!
Old 07-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #25
meeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

meeestirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEDEER View Post
I've been doing some searching on the Spikes Tactical website and they have an enormous amount of options. I was looking at uppers and they ranged from 7.5" to 16" . I take it that is the length of the barrel? This is going to be a long learning experience
those numbers are barrel length. they go out past 16" too. you can get 18" 20" etc... it all depends what you want to do with it. since this is your first rifle and you are going to use it to learn, i still just suggest the S&W M&P15 Sport
Old 07-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #26
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Gotcha. Advantages of a larger barrel? I would imagine it to be more accurate at longer ranges the longer it is?
Old 07-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #27
meeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Oh lord. Maybe I should get out while I still can!
if you want to see if you can afford ammo in the future you are going to spend $0.30 - $0.35 a round for factory plinking ammo, less if you learn to reload or buy reloads. stay away from steel cased ammo.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #28
double dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Derrick
double dee's Tacoma Gallery
I just started building my AR15. After countless hours of research I decided on Bravo Company. They had everything I was told to look for plus they stand by their product with a lifetime warranty. I originally bought just my upper receiver from them but I have decided I am going to buy my lower from them as well.

This is what my build concist of...

BCM upper receiver 14.5 Carbine
BCM Lower
Daniel Defense Omega FF rail
Magpul CTR stock
Eotech XPS2-0
Troy folding back up rear sight

I will post a picture of the finished product once everything comes in
The complete rife itself is right around $1,0000. The eotech and daniel defense omega rail is what puts it above the $1,000 range but there are less expensive options for both of those.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/
Old 07-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #29
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Stubbs95tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Gotcha. Advantages of a larger barrel? I would imagine it to be more accurate at longer ranges the longer it is?
I have 2 long and short... they can be changed out
Old 07-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #30

Quote:
yes and also the twist rate of the barrel and the weight of the bullet.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #31
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Alot of people say longer barrels aren't anymore accurate than shorter ones but I dont believe them. Get a 16 for all around and 20 for hunting/longer ranges.
Oh and welcome to the black gun disease
Old 07-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #32
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaTaco View Post
Alot of people say longer barrels aren't anymore accurate than shorter ones but I dont believe them. Get a 16 for all around and 20 for hunting/longer ranges.
As if TW didn't deplete my funds as it is, this will make me go broke lol.

Also, a lot of the searching I have been doing thus far, a lot of times the word carbine will be thrown in the mix. Is carbine consistent with a shorter barrel? or???
Old 07-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #33
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Carbine is the distance the gas port is away from the chamber. It is used on 16 inch barrels and the longer the barrel the longer the gas port is away from the chamber. A rifle length is the smoothest shooting. There is also mid and intermediate lengths. 18 inch barrels can use either mid or rifle lengths.
I'm sure someone can explain how each performs compared to the others. I've only shot rifle and carbine.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #34

Quote:
this is pretty true i was hitting a 10" steel target every time at 600 yards with my AR. 16" barrel 1:7" twist rate. 55gn bullets.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeestirg View Post
this is pretty true i was hitting a 10" steel target every time at 600 yards with my AR. 16" barrel 1:7" twist rate. 55gn bullets.
Nice! What scope do you have?
Old 07-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #36

Quote:
Nice! What scope do you have?
surprisingly i was using a primary arms red dot and their x3 magnifier.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #37
troy28 is on a distinguished road
troy28's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
. I was looking at uppers and they ranged from 7.5" to 16" . I take it that is the length of the barrel? This is going to be a long learning experience
With out getting to complicated a 16in barrel length is the shortest legal length you can put on your rifle with out getting a Class 3 Stamp and registering the lower as a Short Barrel Rifle or permanently welding flash hiders on to reach 16in.

Yes you can order a 7in upper off the internet tonight and slap it on your lower tomorrow. The upper is not illegal until it is attached to an unregistered lower. Even honestly misunderstanding this law will not save you on a Federal Level if you get caught.

With in reason, a longer barrel does add to accuracy. But not enough to make a difference in what you will be doing. If you want real accuracy you would also need to hand load match ammo with a recipe specific to that rifle and then create a shooting log of temperatures, wind speeds......... After all that is done people then need to learn how to correctly shoot the rifle.

16in will be lighter than an 18in+ barrel especially with run and gun. Learn proper shooting techniques and you will still be able to shoot quarters and center of mass at a couple hundred yards.

As for the ammo. If you are willing to clean your gun after shooting, do not need to shoot a single ragged hole at 100+ yards, and enjoy saving money shoot steel case ammo. You can not reload steel and you can increase the potential to wear your gun out sooner. By sooner I mean your children may have to purchase a new barrel and ejector before they hand it down to their children. I would not trust my life to steel case but an afternoon at the range I will shoot it all day.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #38
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
a longer barrel might not be more accurate, but generally, the longer the barrel the higher the muzzle velocity... some of the varmint and high power guys will use long "bull" barrels which have a large wall thickness to reduce harmonic vibrations that occur when firing...
Old 07-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #39
Where the White Women At?
StZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
StZu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeestirg View Post
if you want to see if you can afford ammo in the future you are going to spend $0.30 - $0.35 a round for factory plinking ammo, less if you learn to reload or buy reloads. stay away from steel cased ammo.
Why stay away from steel case ammo? I would shoot steel before reloads, if I didn't load it myself.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by StZu View Post
Why stay away from steel case ammo? I would shoot steel before reloads, if I didn't load it myself.
sometimes when the steel case expands in the chamber it's a bitch to get out it can also scratch the chamber if forced out. i bought 100 rounds of Tula and i had FTE's right after another.

if any of you live close to me i think i have about 48-50 left you are welcome to come take them. PM me.