Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Muzzle Break

Old 07-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Muzzle Break

My dad has a savage 7mag that he enjoys. He also has an old Ruger M77 7 mag that he has had for a while. He has always wanted a muzzle break so we decided we would put one on his savage because he has had the ruger for years and hates to modify it. However he is okay with modifying the Savage. I am currently in a Computer Integrated Machining program at my community college. Dad is going to have the barrel pulled off, then I am going to turn the end of the barrel down in order to thread it. Then I am going to make a round muzzle break, thread it, and drill holes in the sides. I will probably do a spiral pattern. I will be making the muzzle break from a piece of barrel stock. What do you guys think?
Old 07-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I hate muzzle brakes, they are LOUD. The little kick they reduce isn't worth my hearing loss when I shoot that deer or elk without muffs. Heck who even notices the kick after the hunt anyway?
Old 07-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaTaco View Post
I hate muzzle brakes, they are LOUD. The little kick they reduce isn't worth my hearing loss when I shoot that deer or elk without muffs. Heck who even notices the kick after the hunt anyway?
from what I have researched a properly designed muzzle break can greatly reduce recoil. I am also designing it so it can be screwed off and a cap screwed over the threads to protect it so it an be used when wanted and not wanted.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Oh ok as long as you can screw another cap on for hunting trips. And yeah they do reduce recoil alot but for a hunting rifle I can do without it. Now if it was a range gun by all means put the break on.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
A lot of things to think about here, first off cool project, but there are some things to think about. Make sure you use a common thread pitch/dia so if you want to suppress or add a retail muzzle device later you can. Also the design of flash suppressors and brakes is complex, simply drilling holes is not how it is done in the retail market, not saying it won't work, but it won't be optimal, and the design specifics usually go through CFD analysis. Also be careful of the crown and remaining barrel wall thickness. Use a crush washer when installing to prevent it from backing off when shooting. And like someone else already mentioned, muzzle brakes typically just amplify noise, if you were shooting 100+ rounds each time you went out then a brake might make a difference, but you hardly shoot 5 rounds when hunting, you likely won't notice the difference.

That said, share some pictures, I am always a fan of home grown stuff like this, it is nice to brag about stuff you did/made that most people would never attempt or would just take someplace for a "professional".
Old 07-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goufcustom View Post
A lot of things to think about here, first off cool project, but there are some things to think about. Make sure you use a common thread pitch/dia so if you want to suppress or add a retail muzzle device later you can. Also the design of flash suppressors and breaks is complex, simply drilling holes is not how it is done in the retail market, not saying it won't work, but it won't be optimal, and the design specifics usually go through CFD analysis. Also be careful of the crown and remaining barrel wall thickness. Use a crush washer when installing to prevent it from backing off when shooting. And like someone else already mentioned, muzzle breaks typically just amplify noise, if you were shooting 100+ rounds each time you went out then a break might make a difference, but you hardly shoot 5 rounds when hunting, you likely won't notice the difference.

That said, share some pictures, I am always a fan of home grown stuff like this, it is nice to brag about stuff you did/made that most people would never attempt or would just take someplace for a "professional".
ive been talking to several people that build guns and some have made custom breaks for a living. i have done a lot of research and talking to people and put thought into how this is designed. I want it to be effective but safe as well. the barrel will still be plenty thick. its for my dad i mean im 19 hes done a lot for me and its something he has always talked about he would like to have. regardless if its actually needed it would be nice to give back just a tiny bit for what he has done for me.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:57 AM   #7
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GTacoma View Post
ive been talking to several people that build guns and some have made custom breaks for a living. i have done a lot of research and talking to people and put thought into how this is designed. I want it to be effective but safe as well. the barrel will still be plenty thick. its for my dad i mean im 19 hes done a lot for me and its something he has always talked about he would like to have. regardless if its actually needed it would be nice to give back just a tiny bit for what he has done for me.
Cool, I didnt mean to rain on your parade, just wanted to make sure you knew there was more to it than just holes in a peice of tubing, and you clearly do know more about it. I am interested to see how it turns out, it is amazing what you can do if you have machine shop skills.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:10 AM   #8
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
What are you breaking? Are you taking a break? Do you brake for small animals? Don't break a leg while doing this work. Make sure the brakes on your car are functioning properly or you may break something.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #9
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
thread it 5/8x24

that is the most common 30 caliber barrel threads.

Good luck with the brake. There is a surprising amount of work and knowledge that goes into good muzzle brake designs. (lots of fluid and thermodynamics knowledge)
Old 07-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #10
Holyfather is on a distinguished road
Holyfather's Tacoma Gallery
Really like the muzzle break on my Browning a-bolt 7mm mag. I like that it is adjustable so I can tune the gun to any load.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #11
7.62x63mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
What are you breaking? Are you taking a break? Do you brake for small animals? Don't break a leg while doing this work. Make sure the brakes on your car are functioning properly or you may break something.
Lol, my excuse is typing on my phone at 11pm on a work night... spelling is a bitch.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #12

Hey guys just updating the thread. I did make the muzzle break. I made 2 actually. Made one out of aluminum. That was really for testing purposes as far as fit and making sure it would fit and screw onto the barrel like I wanted. Aluminum is easy to cut and so forth. Made another out of cold rolled steel. A big difference can be felt on recoil. I will try to get pictures sometime.