1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leasing Hunting property

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by longbow, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Jan 7, 2009 at 11:02 AM
    longbow

longbow [OP] I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Do any of you lease hunting property.

I have a option to lease some 95 acres of prime hunting land in southern Indiana, lots of water, old growth timber, food plots.
    The guy wants $7 dollars and acre and that is for a full contract year. The property is posted and the guy watches it. It is first come first serve, I am good friends with the guy who has it now, but he has way to much.

This is a first time thing for me, so I need some info on what to look out for, what to watch out for. Is the price to high or to low.

Thanks

2. Jan 7, 2009 at 11:11 AM
    KMN-BLU

KMN-BLU less work/more play

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    Will there be other hunters allowed on the part you lease? Can you hang your own stands? Are any camps setup or can you build your own? That sounds like a fair price if whatever you are hunting are known to reside there or travel through there.

What types are land sorround this area? I have hunted leases before and ran into issues with others hunting my stand and leaving trash behind on the property.

3. Jan 7, 2009 at 11:13 AM
    KMN-BLU

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    If its prime land and holds deer I will share the costs with you and come up and hunt a week with you.

4. Jan 7, 2009 at 11:19 AM
    longbow

longbow [OP] I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    The only people who can hunt the property is the one's that lease it.
    The surrounding property is owned by my friends parents, he is a hunter himself. Yes you can hang tree stands, I have been the type that do not use screw in hooks, so no worries in damaging trees.
    Right now there is 3 of us looking at the property, one guy is a part timer, hunts 3 to 4 days a year. Other guy hunts a week or so. As for me, I start in March, then hot and heavy in Oct. thru Dec.

5. Jan 7, 2009 at 11:27 AM
    KMN-BLU

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    For $700 you get your own hunting area for a year that you control the hunting pressure on. You control what deer (i assume deer is what ur hunting) get taken off this land. Limit the number of does or age of the bucks.

I have 60 acres I own in North Arkansas and and I share 300 acres in Alabama that I hunt. Having the control of the lease allows you to control hunting pressure by how many hunters and how often they can go wondering through the woods. I like that control. I made a huge mistake allowing to many people hunting to often and it basically chased the deer off my property with that much human presence in the woods.

For that amount of money ($700) and being in prime deer country I dont see how you could lose.

6. Jan 7, 2009 at 11:30 AM
    HighPlains

HighPlains Well-Known Member

Member:
    As a landowner myself, I would try and get more. If you have 2-3 other guys to split it with, it only cost you a couple hundred bucks to guarantee yourself a good place to hunt. What are you waiting for?

7. Jan 7, 2009 at 11:43 AM
    jolayiv

jolayiv Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hertford NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD 4x4 Off-Road
    Revenge-Fab Sliders, AVS Vent Guards, Rear TSB, Hose clamp MOD, Locker MOD, Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow, Midland Radio, Wilson 1000 antenna, Rear Diff breather MOD, Weathertech liners, Maglite mount, Bed Divider, LEER 100XR, Pop&Lock
    Something that I have always done is offer to help out on the land. Most of the guys around home would rather just have a helping hand for the bigger chores they have than to have someone pay to hunt the land. Granted most of the people I have hunted off of have been older. None the less it is an offer that I would throw out there.

8. Jan 7, 2009 at 11:47 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    X2. Our camp has 1000 acres we lease. We have a set number of members. If a member decides to leave, then we vote another one in. Our dues, which is $140, cover the cost of the land tax for the owner. We pretty much have free range. We cut the dead wood for camp and plant a food plot here and there.

9. Jan 7, 2009 at 11:49 AM
    kilted1117

kilted1117 I smell corn

Member:
    First Name:
    Gophuk Yousef
    Valparaiso, IN
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5 4dr Magnetic Grey
    Zippo.
    I'm stuck hunting mostly public land for deer and turkey and dealing with all the B.S. is driving me nuts. Wish I could get a deal like that. I say get a couple of buddies together and go for it.

10. Jan 7, 2009 at 11:52 AM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness
    Sounds like a deal man. I'm paying $800 per rifle, i.e. hunter, and its about 3,000 acres for 20 people. I'd jump on that opportunity.

See if you can sit out a morning, no hunting, and see what there is. Get photos of past deer that have been taken. You can see the prospects this way!

11. Jan 7, 2009 at 11:57 AM
    KMN-BLU

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    trail cams (infrared type) will become your best freind. Well, that and a feeder full of corn.

Products Discussed in

To Top