Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Leasing Hunting property

Old 01-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
Leasing Hunting property

Do any of you lease hunting property.

I have a option to lease some 95 acres of prime hunting land in southern Indiana, lots of water, old growth timber, food plots.
The guy wants $7 dollars and acre and that is for a full contract year. The property is posted and the guy watches it. It is first come first serve, I am good friends with the guy who has it now, but he has way to much.

This is a first time thing for me, so I need some info on what to look out for, what to watch out for. Is the price to high or to low.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
WoodsDweller
KraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Dave
KraQr's Tacoma Gallery
Will there be other hunters allowed on the part you lease? Can you hang your own stands? Are any camps setup or can you build your own? That sounds like a fair price if whatever you are hunting are known to reside there or travel through there.

What types are land sorround this area? I have hunted leases before and ran into issues with others hunting my stand and leaving trash behind on the property.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
WoodsDweller
KraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
KraQr's Tacoma Gallery
If its prime land and holds deer I will share the costs with you and come up and hunt a week with you.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
The only people who can hunt the property is the one's that lease it.
The surrounding property is owned by my friends parents, he is a hunter himself. Yes you can hang tree stands, I have been the type that do not use screw in hooks, so no worries in damaging trees.
Right now there is 3 of us looking at the property, one guy is a part timer, hunts 3 to 4 days a year. Other guy hunts a week or so. As for me, I start in March, then hot and heavy in Oct. thru Dec.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
WoodsDweller

Air Force:
KraQr's Tacoma Gallery
For $700 you get your own hunting area for a year that you control the hunting pressure on. You control what deer (i assume deer is what ur hunting) get taken off this land. Limit the number of does or age of the bucks.

I have 60 acres I own in North Arkansas and and I share 300 acres in Alabama that I hunt. Having the control of the lease allows you to control hunting pressure by how many hunters and how often they can go wondering through the woods. I like that control. I made a huge mistake allowing to many people hunting to often and it basically chased the deer off my property with that much human presence in the woods.

For that amount of money ($700) and being in prime deer country I dont see how you could lose.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
HighPlains will become famous soon enoughHighPlains will become famous soon enough
HighPlains's Tacoma Gallery
As a landowner myself, I would try and get more. If you have 2-3 other guys to split it with, it only cost you a couple hundred bucks to guarantee yourself a good place to hunt. What are you waiting for?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
Carolina Alliance
jolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SSgt 6332
Name: Jim
jolayiv's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jolayiv
Something that I have always done is offer to help out on the land. Most of the guys around home would rather just have a helping hand for the bigger chores they have than to have someone pay to hunt the land. Granted most of the people I have hunted off of have been older. None the less it is an offer that I would throw out there.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlains View Post
As a landowner myself, I would try and get more. If you have 2-3 other guys to split it with, it only cost you a couple hundred bucks to guarantee yourself a good place to hunt. What are you waiting for?
X2. Our camp has 1000 acres we lease. We have a set number of members. If a member decides to leave, then we vote another one in. Our dues, which is $140, cover the cost of the land tax for the owner. We pretty much have free range. We cut the dead wood for camp and plant a food plot here and there.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
I smell corn
kilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gophuk Yousef
kilted1117's Tacoma Gallery
I'm stuck hunting mostly public land for deer and turkey and dealing with all the B.S. is driving me nuts. Wish I could get a deal like that. I say get a couple of buddies together and go for it.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #10
What is the Search Tab for????
Ghost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 96 Romeos, 1st Infantry Division, 101st MI, Deployed to OIF2
Ghost96Romeo's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a deal man. I'm paying $800 per rifle, i.e. hunter, and its about 3,000 acres for 20 people. I'd jump on that opportunity.

See if you can sit out a morning, no hunting, and see what there is. Get photos of past deer that have been taken. You can see the prospects this way!
Old 01-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #11
WoodsDweller

Air Force:
KraQr's Tacoma Gallery
trail cams (infrared type) will become your best freind. Well, that and a feeder full of corn.