Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

AzogSS's M24 build

Old 08-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Cool AzogSS's M24 build

For the last 5 years I've been trying to find the parts and pieces to build a Remington M24 as used and deployed by the US military. Finally tonight I received my barrel (custom made to M24 profile) but with a custom protected and recessed crown and a different twist ratio from a true military M24 barrel. The barrel was custom made by McGowen Precision Barrel located in Kalispell, MT. Next stop for the barrel is Innovative Arms located in Elgin, SC for suppressor threading and capping. If you need a suppressor give innovative a call... They are very knowledgeable and just good people.

Specs:

Stock: M24 HS Precision aluminum bedded stock
Barrel: McGowen precision
Action: Remington 700 chambered in .308
Trigger: Timney
Floor plate and 10 rnd mag: HS Precision
Modular rail: Remington Military M.A.R.S. rail
Rings: Badger Ordinance standard height heavy
Optic: Leupold Mark IV M1 (Fixed 10x)
Bipod: Harris with quick swivel lockout

I'm excited, as the last piece arrived today. The rifle will be assembled after the barrel is threaded this week. It will probably be a month or more until I get any updates as the action and barrel will have to be stripped of bluing and recoated.

Desired end result:

***Update*** Complete and break in done. Now to find range time
Old 08-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Did you use a short or long action receiver?

The legit M24 uses a long action receiver, which allowed the army to transfer over to 300 Win Mag (they did recently for engaging longer distances in A-stan)

Not knocking, but there are *replicas*, and then there are replicas

EDIT: whats your twist rate, and why did you shy away for 11.25:1, radius grooved barrel?
Old 08-14-2012, 02:41 AM   #3
Asian RedNeck
BenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to all

Name: Ben
BenMara's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BenMara
Nice, I just sold my Long dist bench 308. Just wasnt using it for what it ment to do long dist shots.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
MOLON LABE
Ragin Devildoc has much to be proud ofRagin Devildoc has much to be proud ofRagin Devildoc has much to be proud ofRagin Devildoc has much to be proud ofRagin Devildoc has much to be proud ofRagin Devildoc has much to be proud ofRagin Devildoc has much to be proud ofRagin Devildoc has much to be proud ofRagin Devildoc has much to be proud of

Navy: 8452/8404 Corpsman
Name: Doc
Ragin Devildoc's Tacoma Gallery
That is a sick looking rifle.....though I am more of a USMC sniper side with the current EMR.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderleet View Post
Did you use a short or long action receiver?

The legit M24 uses a long action receiver, which allowed the army to transfer over to 300 Win Mag (they did recently for engaging longer distances in A-stan)

Not knocking, but there are *replicas*, and then there are replicas

EDIT: whats your twist rate, and why did you shy away for 11.25:1, radius grooved barrel?
I am not sponsored by the US Army or Remington (although the Army does put food on the table). I have built this rifle to suit my needs, not the needs of a sniper program. This will never be converted to 300 Win Mag it will always be a .308, so the short action receiver I found will work just fine. Down to each bolt I have never claimed this rifle to be a "legit" M24. If I wanted one that was look no further than Remington, where can be purchased for a little over $3,600. I have pieced this weapon together as I've found deals on each part and the outcome will look nearly (not fully) the same as a true M24. The barrel end has also been changed (at my request) to add a protector for the crown and small changes such as this have made this a custom built rifle for me.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #6

AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Aug 15, barrel has been dropped off at innovative for threading and capping. Estimated time to get it back is 7-10 days.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #7

AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery

Barrel back from Innovative Arms... As always top notch work. Parts to be dropped off soon for coating and final assembly.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #8

AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Parts delivered to my buddy, who is a gunsmith and distance shooter, for final coatings and assembly. I'm stoked!
Old 10-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
Rifleman not a cook, Appleseed program
Tackleberry is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
Tackleberry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzogSS View Post

Barrel back from Innovative Arms... As always top notch work. Parts to be dropped off soon for coating and final assembly.

Can you PM me with the website or phone number of these guys. that is some nice work and I am thinking about getting a can for one of my 700 PPS in 308
Old 11-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
Never LBS
Molon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SFC 11B40B4
Molon Labe's Tacoma Gallery
AzogSS, looks good so far. I am curious what kind of MOA you get with this barrel. There are a few somewhat local places to have the bolt face trued and the cryo done if you are interested. PM me if you need this stuff.
Also did you glass bed or alum?
Old 11-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #11

AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
AzogSS, looks good so far. I am curious what kind of MOA you get with this barrel. There are a few somewhat local places to have the bolt face trued and the cryo done if you are interested. PM me if you need this stuff.
Also did you glass bed or alum?
It will be alum bedded (HS Precision M24 stock). Ill let you know as far as your references for the work. My buddy is a distance shooter 1000m and he is the one doing the assembly etc. He is pretty knowledgable and I trust he'll set it up right.

I have another SBR build in the works as well
Old 11-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #12
fjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
fjfar80's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Tackleberry -

A small suggestion for you...pick up a R&D Precision MRAD brake...they are fantastic brakes to use on threaded barrels. I run them on all my bolt and precision AR's that are threaded where I am not using a Surefire brake for a QD SF suppressor. The MRAD brake is designed to be easily removed with a hex wrench and then you can thread on your favorite suppressor. Give it a shot...you'll probably like it.

- Mark
Old 11-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #13

AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjfar80 View Post
Hey Tackleberry -

A small suggestion for you...pick up a R&D Precision MRAD brake...they are fantastic brakes to use on threaded barrels. I run them on all my bolt and precision AR's that are threaded where I am not using a Surefire brake for a QD SF suppressor. The MRAD brake is designed to be easily removed with a hex wrench and then you can thread on your favorite suppressor. Give it a shot...you'll probably like it.

- Mark
Cool, thanks for sharing! Do the brakes require timing/spacers like the sure fire?
Old 11-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #14
fjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
fjfar80's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzogSS View Post
Cool, thanks for sharing! Do the brakes require timing/spacers like the sure fire?
Nope...I'll take a picture tonight of one mounted and post it.

- Mark
Old 12-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #15

AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjfar80 View Post
Nope...I'll take a picture tonight of one mounted and post it.

- Mark
Mark, any pics?
Old 12-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #17
fjfar80's Tacoma Gallery
So the brake is really nice...as it's easy to take on and off...I can go from unsuppressed to suppressed in under 30 seconds...and that's screwing on a Thunderbeast can and removing the brake. You get the zero POI shift of a screw on suppressor with a very easily removed brake. Better than just shooting with a thread protector.

- Mark
Old 12-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #18
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
I can also vouch for the guys at IA. Nice shop too, impressive attention to detail in their products.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #19

AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Well I finally got my media blasting cabinet plumbed and set up this weekend. Painted the M24 action and barrel in DuraCoat tactical black. Now to let it cure for about a week before final assembly. FINALLY getting this thing done. I'll post some pics of the process.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #20

AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery

My shed in the backyard changed into a paint booth.

My sandblast cabinet to media blast the metal for DuraCoat adhesion. I use an aluminum oxide media at over 100 psi.

DuraCoat Tactical Black.

DuraCoat covered well! Very impressed. This is the second gun I've coated. The other gun was my duck hunting gun which I did in Drake old school timber camo pattern.

Now a few weeks of curing time before I hand the barrel back over to the guy putting it all together for me.