1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Getting a Gun

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Death_Stalker, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Aug 16, 2012 at 11:45 AM
    Death_Stalker

Death_Stalker [OP] " The Master Ninja"

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    TRD Pro Wheels BFG AT Tires
    Hey guys so ive been wanting a Gun for quiet some times but wifey hasnt been to keen about it mainly because we have a year old daughter, She doesnt care if its in teh case, safe, or anything. She does say that as long as if it stays outside the house, mainly in my car its fine. now here is the thing, i live in a really nice neighbor hood, no issues there, so protecting the house is not the problem at all so i dont really need it in the hosue with me. What i need the gun is for my long road trips that i take or if i was to go camping overnight somewhere. My concern is that is it safe to keep it in the truck at all times? i know i will have a safe in the console or hide it in a lock box under the seat or something but texas heat wise, is it harmful for the gun to be in the car where tem in texas in summer can reach up tp about 120 degrees ? Im sorry if it sounds like a noob question but thought id ask. thanks for the help in advance.

2. Aug 16, 2012 at 11:50 AM
    Aggie97

Aggie97 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.
    heat won't hurt it. I keep one locked in a car safe in my truck.

3. Aug 16, 2012 at 11:55 AM
    Death_Stalker

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    thanks man do you have info on the car safe or any pics ? where can i get more info on it?

4. Aug 16, 2012 at 12:04 PM
    white91formula

white91formula Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    05 6speed TRD OR
    no offense but maybe you should become a little more familiar with firearms and your local laws before you buy one and just leave it in your car ....

5. Aug 16, 2012 at 12:35 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
  6. Aug 16, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    Death_Stalker

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    none taken! ofcourse i will go through proper procedures before i even buy one. first things first i needed to know the answer of this question. if the answer was, no you cant keep it in your car at all times, then end of story. no point of me moving any further with this. NOW that i have my answer, i will look into a traiing class and get all the training and education i need. Once im 100% confedence, ill go buy what i like. Trust me if this wasnt a case i would already have a gun.

7. Aug 16, 2012 at 2:25 PM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    No kid in the house but I for one never leave it in the taco, Its always with me, As for the nice hood the bad one have cars now so no place is really safe. Take a gun corse put on by your local PD. Dont just sit there ask any ? so you can inform yourself. Its not a toy and never treat it as such. IF you have to pull it, you have to be ready to pull the trigger. Jim

8. Aug 16, 2012 at 5:16 PM
    Teniente

Teniente Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City, NV/Ensenada, Baja California, MX
    Vehicle:
    White 2006 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Buy a gun safe and bolt it to the floor of your garage. Keep your guns in there when not in actual physical control of the weapon(s). Don't leave them in the car.

Take a CCW class.....have your wife go with you. This will provide you and her a basic overview of the law and safe gun handling.

Determine what the Texas laws are concerning carrying a firearm in a vehicle - loaded/unloaded, open view/concealed........remember there are also fish and game laws that apply.

Go to the range with your wife often and practice, practice, practice.

9. Aug 16, 2012 at 5:29 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    a car is so easy to break into..i would never leave a gun there full time.

i dont care if stuff gets stolen, but it would be a heartbreaker to lose a fire arm and find that it was used in a crime..or worse. some kid shoots himself or a someone else.

i am armed to the gills, but all my firearms are firmly under my control.

i would even leave tools in the car! or binoculars..a firearm? no way!

10. Aug 16, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    CCW is a nono and even transporting firearms in vehicles here is a bitch, so I can't speak from experience of keeping weapons in the truck.

but what I can talk about, from experience is this
    :75374_1687912963601_1410998042_1765426_3_60e296d6e780e0a2e396288019170e22669e78ad.jpg

even if you get a secured vault for your truck, I'd be wary of leaving your weapon there all the time. If someone were to break into your truck and steal your weapon, your name follows where that gun goes.

also, firearms are made to handle temperatures much higher than a hot truck cab

11. Aug 16, 2012 at 5:39 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    1) how do you get to know "when" you would "need" it?

2) gun in the truck - what does state law allow? different states and even municipalities (depending on the state) may have various laws for "how" to have it stowed, even the definition of "loaded"... for example in OH, you couldn't legally have it "loaded" (according to OH's definition, which means no ammo in mags, even if detached) in the car unless you have a CHL...

3) look into a "quick access safe" for the home, tell the wife she needs to get w/ the program, ...nice neighborhood doesn't equal "safe" all the time...

12. Aug 16, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    Alderleet

Alderleet Ace of Spades

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Salty Hell
    Vehicle:
    '00 Acc Cab TRD 4x4
    Why dont you have a sit down and tell her how its going to be?

I made it very clear to my woman that my weapons are a priority, and if she doesnt like them she can leave.

She now goes with me to the range, and helps me clean them.

13. Aug 16, 2012 at 7:44 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Jeez... Even California isn't that bad. We can have the mags loaded, just not in a position to be fired, though the gun must be in a locked container.

OTOH, Ohio is shall-issue, and with a Florida non-resident, Ohio is GTG.

14. Aug 16, 2012 at 7:53 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    yep, and the CHL only allows you to have loaded "handguns" in the vehicle, ...even w/ a CHL, you can't transport loaded long gun mags (assuming compatible long gun is anywhere in the vehicle)... we do have some wierd laws, but we have some good reforms we've done recently too...

15. Aug 16, 2012 at 7:58 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas law allows for a loaded gun to be carried in your personal vehicle without a concealed permit, and to be used if deadly force is needed, as per the castle law. Your vehicle counts as part of your home in TX.

16. Aug 16, 2012 at 8:01 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    In Colorado, your vehicle is considered an extension of your house....so you can carry in there all you want!

17. Aug 16, 2012 at 8:12 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    vehicle is also enveloped in our castle doctrine law as well, ..."however", to have loaded handgun in the vehicle you must have the CHL... that's why its important to know the patchwork of laws if traveling from state to state...

18. Aug 16, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    we cant have ammo in the mag, anywhere near the weapon... IIRC

19. Aug 16, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    aptech

aptech Jetfixer

Member:
    houston
    Vehicle:
    10 dc offroad
    toy teccoil overs 2.5 lift.600lb springs, allpro expedition leaf pack. cbi hybrid bumper, cbi slider,cbi rear bumper swing arm, roof rack ghostflames, sport hood, tsb steering, trd cai, red map lights, derp works custom platform for bed. backup cam any time mod, fog light any time mod. bed light mod. 400watt inverter mod. 2857516 dura tracs. beach sand intsall and a lot more shite
    x2 :quickdraw:
    also your place of business (Castle law). you can also leave it in your vehicle in the parking lot at your job if your work for someone else they can not forbid or fire you for it (with some exceptions read the law past last Texas session) . the gun must be concealed. having the gun in a lock safe and unloaded is useless. your going to tell the robber. ah just one minutes let me put my bullets in my gun just give me a sec.lol
    what the leo said is true also you should get some training and your chl if you qualify. you may want also to do your research about what caliber type size etc you want for concealment. or personal use. the 40sw (caliber) is cheaper to shoot
    ( almost half the price for a box) than the 45 acp and the 40sw will stop what you want to stop. things of that nature. i researched a year before a purchased my first handgun. i always had long guns(rifles and shot guns) no pistols. gl and be careful remember the gun is to be treated like it is loaded even when you have no bullets in it. sorry so long

20. Aug 16, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    aptech

aptech Jetfixer

Member:
    houston
    Vehicle:
    10 dc offroad
    toy teccoil overs 2.5 lift.600lb springs, allpro expedition leaf pack. cbi hybrid bumper, cbi slider,cbi rear bumper swing arm, roof rack ghostflames, sport hood, tsb steering, trd cai, red map lights, derp works custom platform for bed. backup cam any time mod, fog light any time mod. bed light mod. 400watt inverter mod. 2857516 dura tracs. beach sand intsall and a lot more shite
    piontless

Products Discussed in

To Top