1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lightweight 1911 Help

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Dimonback, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Aug 18, 2012 at 10:13 AM
    Dimonback

Dimonback [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    Some may know I had a whoops with my wife's Kimber Tactical, when I didn't notice a squib round during a match stage.
    I've since traded the gun (less the barrel) for a Glock 21, after my wife said she liked the feel of it. Dumb on me. She can't shoot it to save her life (literally- although the guy may have a limp for awhile).
    Now I'm trying to find another lightweight 1911 for her, fully dressed, but can't afford a Kimber. I have a Sig Carry (4.2" barrel) that I'm pretty impressed with, but I need to be around $500-600, and I'd prefer a 5". Any suggestions?

2. Aug 19, 2012 at 12:12 AM
    tsab916

tsab916 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    02 DC 4x4
  3. Aug 19, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint
    i bet if you look around you could find a used sig 1911 for 500$

4. Aug 20, 2012 at 4:08 AM
    Dimonback

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    Problem is both guns mentioned are steel framed, and therefore a bit heavier than what she wants. I know, I know... there's not enough difference to notice, steel frames last longer, absorb recoil better, etc - but this is a woman's thinking.
    As for the Sig, I'm real impressed with the Carry. It was suppposed to replace the Kimber, but she thinks it's too heavy.

5. Aug 20, 2012 at 12:23 PM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    I saw a Colt Defender (used) in a gun store quite while back near that price range. Only a 3" barrel, tho. I would keep an eye on the gun stores. S&W makes some interesting 1911s.

My experience with 1911s is that a used one might require a bit of tweaking. I bought a Colt Compact model a couple of years ago that required polishing the extractor before it was reliable. The first (and only) time I loaded a round through the ejection port I had to readjust the extractor. I suspect an external extractor (as in the S&W models) wouldn't have that problem.

6. Aug 20, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    Dimonback

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    I'd scare myself thinking of all the 1911s I've owned- from a GI Springfield to a Kimber Gold Combat. All I've ever had to do is polish the feed ramp and barrel hood to make them reliable.

7. Aug 21, 2012 at 9:08 AM
    North Star

North Star I keep planets in orbit

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    07' Double Cab 4x4
    N-fab side steps, Extang hard tonneau cover, Terra Grappelers
    The wife and I are looking into getting our first guns. From doing countless hours of browsing and chatting with folks, I was surprised to hear that Colt and Kimber 1911's are just hype and have sloppy craftsmanship. An owner of a Sig Nightmare 1911 was telling me that although he loves his 1911, it shot no better than the budget Rock Island 1911, which is common at ranges. In fact, a lot of people were telling me that the Rock Island is actually built very well and the only thing that should be swapped is the grips.

I want a 1911 one day, but not likely as my first handgun. When I do get a 1911, I have my eye on Magnum Research. Got a couple great reviews from LEO's that carry them daily, one with the compact version and one with the full 5". Also, not too expensive either.

8. Aug 21, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint
    the Sig 1911's have about the fewest MIM parts in them...granted a RIA might be accurate but the parts are budget and whatnot

9. Aug 21, 2012 at 1:57 PM
    Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis Well-Known Member

Member:
    Flarrrrrrrida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Super White TRD Offroad 4x4 AC
    I sell guns for a living and I will tell you with a straight face that I wouldn't touch anything from Kimber or Taurus with a 20ft pole. I see more of them give trouble/go back to the factory than every other brand I sell combined. If you want a LW small .45 for the wife I would look at the HK 45 compact. If not that then the M&P 45 Compact.

Why not get her a 9mm? Glock 19, HK P30, P2000, M&P 9... Lots of great lightweight smallish options out there in 9mm. I CCW and shoot IDPA with an HK P30 9mm and couldn't be happier.

10. Aug 21, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    North Star

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    07' Double Cab 4x4
    Thanks for posting that. Yeah, the more I hear about those makers the more I am reminded to look elsewhere. :)

The only Taurus guns I hear are solid are their revolvers.

11. Aug 21, 2012 at 2:09 PM
    North Star

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    07' Double Cab 4x4
    That's what I've been told. The RIA's have a rougher finish overall so the price point is expected. But for the price, can't really go wrong.

12. Aug 22, 2012 at 2:58 AM
    Dimonback

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    I've heard of the problems with Taurus, and the decline of Kimber. The first few Kimbers I had were top quality, and the Tactical I blew up probably saved injuries to both me and the RO running with me by containing the issue within the slide and frame.
    I've owned HK (USP .45) and liked it, and I'm interested in the M&P, but again, this is for the wife- so we're talking mindsets. It has to be .45, and it has to be 1911. This is a gal who insisted on a Sig 9mm, until after months of frustration at the range, I finally talked her into trying my CDP Pro.
    Does RIA make a lightweight frame? Apparently their website is undergoing maintenance.

13. Aug 22, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint
    what about the new Springfield XDS?? its a single stack 45 yeah its not a 1911 but the egros are close

14. Aug 22, 2012 at 11:12 AM
    TRD6Speed

TRD6Speed senior member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    885x with 5100s and top plate spacer for full 3", RCD extended 5100s in rear, dakars, flip kit, LR UCAs, tint, shorty antenna, in channel rain guards,BHLM, blacked out emblem, OEM side steps, weathertechs, debadged, rear diff breather
    I dont believe they have one light enough to suit her needs. I own the RIA compact tactical. It has a skelaton trigger and hammer. It has a steel slide and casted frame like most of their guns. Its is heavy even tho its only the 3.5 colt officer clone. The grips on mine are real wood unlike the plastic ones on most models and I like them. Maybe when I see some full wrap grips I'll switch one day but out of the box the gun shot great. After about 1000rds I had one or two failure to cycle but a simple bump of the slide and it was ready to go. Reviews do say thay upgrading the slide spring is a good idea but with the relative cheap price that is doable on a budget. It has extended beaver tail too which is nice but not ambidextrous safety which im fine with.

I know last year they came out with a tactical full size model that had a full rail and new finish so maybe that one came with a aluminum frame but the reason they are cheaper is the cast frames for one and the cheaper labor and the phillipines where they make their guns.......RIA is a division of armscor.

15. Oct 17, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    TXPROMAN

TXPROMAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX PRO TACOMA
    Dan Wesson ECO in 9mm or 45 cal. For your wife. It's 3.5 inch barrel .

Products Discussed in

To Top