Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Why so expensive!?

Old 01-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
Why so expensive!?

Anybody shoot target archery??? A nice sight is like 300$ and releases are around 150$ not to mention 15$ for a single arrow..... I love the sport and currently use regular hunting equipment due to the prices. Just wanted to share my frustration......
Old 01-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Precision is expensive. Even beyond the actual cost of precision manufacturing a big part of specialty gear is the set up costs for small runs and R&D.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's like drag racing. It costs more and more for each second, and even more for each tenth of a second.

At a certain point, not only is it skill, but technology, you pay for.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by -TRDMAN- View Post
Anybody shoot target archery??? A nice sight is like 300$ and releases are around 150$ not to mention 15$ for a single arrow..... I love the sport and currently use regular hunting equipment due to the prices. Just wanted to share my frustration......
what model Mathews are you pullin'?

i've never taken target shoots too seriously. use all the same stuff i hunt with. i figure it's like golf (which i don't play), even with the best set of clubs in the whole world...you're still only as good as you are. if you suck at golf (like me) the Ben Hogans from Kmart will play just the same as a set of Calloways or Pings.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBS View Post

i've never taken target shoots too seriously. use all the same stuff i hunt with. i figure it's like golf (which i don't play), even with the best set of clubs in the whole world...you're still only as good as you are. if you suck at golf (like me) the Ben Hogans from Kmart will play just the same as a set of Calloways or Pings.
Got a legacy and looking at the new rezeen!
Old 01-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #7
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I agree with you RCBS.........a talented archer that taught me to shoot always said you must really like the feel and look of your bow and other equipment which will greatly increase your confidence, leading to better application of your skills......with that said, some people need the expensive stuff to achieve that. To each their own.......I want a new Hoyt!!!!!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:23 AM   #8

Very true talent and practice overweigh equipment by far... But I would like to go pro or semi-pro within the next few years and better equipment will help out a lot.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:29 AM   #9
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
It's all a matter of exactly how precise you need to be. I shoot indoor smallbore rifle. The 10 on the target is .009" in diameter. To score an X the bullet hole has to be completely centered and not break the 9 ring from the inside. It takes a pretty fair investment to equip yourself with a rifle and ammunition capable of hitting a target the size of a fly's eyeball at 50 feet every shot.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Got a legacy and looking at the new rezeen!
Legacy here also. am completely satisfied with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
It's all a matter of exactly how precise you need to be. I shoot indoor smallbore rifle. The 10 on the target is .009" in diameter. To score an X the bullet hole has to be completely centered and not break the 9 ring from the inside. It takes a pretty fair investment to equip yourself with a rifle and ammunition capable of hitting a target the size of a fly's eyeball at 50 feet every shot.
true. i guess i don't need to be super accurate, as long as i can get the kill i've never looked at competitions as "work"...the bow shoots i go to are just for fun and to keep my skills sharp over summer. i got serious back in my teens and found that it took away from what i was looking for...a fun, outdoor, social activity. i would get frustrated when trying to "pop a nock". i did however pull it off a couple times.

good luck TRDMAN with the competitions...remember though...you're there to have a good time...right?
Old 01-15-2009, 01:14 PM   #11
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
I have to agree both ways, I enjoy the hunt, I want a clean kill with just one shot, but yet I pay top dollar for the firearms I own. Buy the time a piece is all done it is worth three time what I paid for it.
I also want to hit the mark ALL the time, from 40 yards at longbeards, to 600 yards for a whitetail. I contantly hit the range with reloads I have made up to find the perfect round for "me".
But then in all of it, I make it fun, if I hunt and get nothing I still have fun, if I go to the range and burn 30-50 rounds I make it fun, down to the reloading I try to have fun.
It is best when I can share this with someone, I do eveything with a friend (except reloading) because it's fun. If he outshoots me, so be it, live and learn.
What ever you decide to do, go semi-pro or pro, I believe if you stop having fun with it, you just might as well give it up.
Good luck to you...................
Old 01-15-2009, 01:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Legacy here also. am completely satisfied with it.
People still say it is the nicest bow mathews every made to this day! i will NEVER! sell mine but i would like to get a Rezeen for target due to 340fps IBO rating...
Old 01-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #13

Got a new release this weekend and my bow restrung.... walked out with a 230$ bill!
Old 01-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #14

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Got a new release this weekend and my bow restrung.... walked out with a 230$ bill!
what type of release? Zebra string? dang...$230...that's almost half the price of the skidplates i want.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:51 PM   #15

Got a T.R.U.Ball ST360.... mathews cables and a winner's choice string