Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Antique rifle questions

Old 01-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Antique rifle questions

Can anybody give me any information about this rifle? From the little amount of research I've been able to do, this is a German Modal 1888. I think it dates back to the late 1800s, but post civil war. And I think it takes some sort of magazine, but I don't have that. It also has the attachments for a bayonet (I think), but no bayonet.

I have two of these rifles - this one is in great shape, the other one, not so much. The stock on it was in pretty rough shape and one day it fell over, hit the handle for the bolt and snapped the stock. On the one that's broken, the sight has the little slider that lets you set the distance, but the good one doesn't. I always imagined that I'd love to have the one that's broken restored, but leave this one alone.

My former father-in-law gave these to me a few years ago. He got them and two powder pistols (he kept them) from some crazy old man (former Klansman) that had hundreds of guns, amunition, explosives - all kinds of wild shit! Rumor had it that he had a couple of old Tommy guns too, but never found them.

Anyway, can anyone give me any information on this rifle? Details, history, value, etc...?

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
It attracts your dog! and its old!!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Post this on the rifles section of Snipers Hide.

You will get an answer and much more info within one day.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #6
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Most likely with all the knowledgable people there, you will get an answer in a couple hours.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #8
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
"It is an 1888 German "Commission" Rifle. If you've ever heard the old saying, "a camel is a horse designed by a committee...," well you are looking at the rifle version of that saying.

A commission of ordnance types got together and put a bunch of design features together into a rifle design. It is basically a Mannlicher knock-off. The "barrel" is actually a shroud over the actual barrel.

For what it was, it was OK, but the bore diameter of the Commission rifles was/is .318 for the 8mm cartridge of the 1880's. Prior to the adoption of the M98, the Germans went to a .323 caliber 8mm round. When fired in a Commission Rifle, the .323 rounds tended to cause excessive pressures that would, often enough, blow up a barrel or whole rifle. Thus the rifles got a bad rep for being dangerous, when it was actually that they were being fed the wrong ammo.

Clean them up and learn all about them, but I would be leery of shooting them".

Per DMann on Snipers Hide.

He he, that took about 15 minutes to get that answer. There's a tremdous brain trust or active shooters there, many of whome are civillians, police or current or ex-military, or security contractors (both US and foreign).
Old 01-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #10
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
The bolt and safety look very similar to a 1916 Mauser that I have, but that is where the similarities end.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #11
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
nice rifle,Jason!! you oughtta refinish it and make it a mantle piece!! it'll be badass! new blue and shiny wood!
Old 01-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #12
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
nice rifle,Jason!! you oughtta refinish it and make it a mantle piece!! it'll be badass! new blue and shiny wood!
That's exactly what I want to do with the one that has the broken stock, but I want to keep this one original.

There have been many times I've wanted to mount this rifle on the wall. Got any suggestions on how to do that?
Old 01-12-2009, 09:21 PM   #13
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
That's exactly what I want to do with the one that has the broken stock, but I want to keep this one original.

There have been many times I've wanted to mount this rifle on the wall. Got any suggestions on how to do that?
how to mount on wall??? you can always het someone to cut some wood "hooks" and screw them to the wall.....but make sure they are smooth and finished with a router and stain/varnish.......it'll look cool. and i dont blame you for leaving them original. from where my dad died this past august.......im getting a few of his old guns.(big family mess shit now), and im gonna refinish a couple of them.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:15 AM   #14
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
Get a couple of empty cases for the gun shine and clean them up, get a couple of pieces of nice wood sand and stain to match the surroundings wood.
Screw the cases on the wood, then lighty (very light) place, tap, the bullet in the case.
With this you will have the rifle plus two rounds that would of gone with the rifle.

Two pieces of wood
Stain
Two cases
Two bullets
Two screws

Mounting hardware.

Just an idea............

Just noticed.....1500th post
Old 01-13-2009, 06:04 AM   #15
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Nice rifle. It has a lot of Mauser characteristics too.