1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Handheld gps suggestions?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by hookedontronics, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Aug 30, 2012 at 7:17 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    I thought it would be a nice gift to get my best man a handheld gps since we do a lot of hunting up north where things are very spread out. I've been wanting one myself and it's a gift i know he'll appreciate and use a lot.

I've looked around a little bit and i'd like to stay under $200 (since i'm going to buy one for myself as well). What do you guys use? What have you used, liked, didn't like, etc and what can you recommend to point me in the right direction. Main things i'm looking for is topo maps, being able to store waypoints, being able to track where you've been, something rugged and water resistant or water proof. It would also be really cool if there was a feature that would let you see where your buddy is also, but i don't think i'll find that for under $200.

suggestions? thank you in advance

2. Aug 30, 2012 at 7:20 AM
    SoCalRoadie

SoCalRoadie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Burbank
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD 2wd Engage LT
    If you have an iPhone then the GPS Kit app is the way to go. It's $10 and does everything you just requested for features.

Just buy an OtterBox and you are gtg.

3. Aug 30, 2012 at 7:27 AM
    hookedontronics

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    lol that's much easier.

i dont get any cell phone service up north so would the gps app still work? Does it go merly off gps and not service towers?

4. Aug 30, 2012 at 7:30 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I dont think the gps requires cell service as it runs off of satelites.

and I think the lifeproof cases are more durable than the otter boxes. i think they are also fully waterproof

5. Aug 30, 2012 at 7:34 AM
    hookedontronics

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    i have an otterbox already. the lifebox cases are sick, but i think they are about 80 bucks

6. Aug 30, 2012 at 7:36 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    I have a handheld Garmin unit I use on the boat. No complaints. Don't remember what I paid it was a discontinued model.

7. Aug 30, 2012 at 7:36 AM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    gps, unaugmented, requires just clear view of the sky to get signal reception from 4 or more satellites.. many are probably WAAS-enabled, ...which WAAS also requires clear view of the sky (WAAS is broadcast from a couple satellites in geostationary orbits over N. America)... for more precision augmentation via cellular-RTK, you would need cell service for that...

8. Aug 30, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    Taco Dan

Taco Dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser auto 4X4
    Snorkel, Cooper ST Maxx 255/80/17, diff breather relocate, Cobra ultra III cb radio set up Warrior Products front bumper
    yeah gps on the phone still requires cell service. you should look into the Garmin Montana. sick gps

9. Aug 30, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    SoCalRoadie

SoCalRoadie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Burbank
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD 2wd Engage LT
    You can pre download the map of the area you are going to so if you lose reception the gps function of the phone still works. The buddy tracking system I have never used so idk what that requires.

Edit: I also use this on my iPad. With a 3G/4G iPad it has a built in gps. If you don't have a data plan you can still use the gps and offline maps.

10. Aug 30, 2012 at 7:43 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i have a Garmin Rino. it is honestly the best walkie talkie i have ever used..i can whisper into it and my brother can hear me clear miles away.

the GPS portion of the package is super fast, super easy to use. i would choose a Garmin for sure.

11. Aug 30, 2012 at 7:46 AM
    Teniente

Teniente Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City, NV/Ensenada, Baja California, MX
    Vehicle:
    White 2006 SR5 DCSB 4x4
  12. Aug 30, 2012 at 7:53 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    +1 on the Garmin, and http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ has all the maps you need for free. I have an Edge 800 I use for mountain biking, but I also just took it on a backpacking trip and it worked great with maps I downloaded for free. If you don't cycle, going for one of the hand-held Garmins would probably give you better features for the money. The eTrex 20 looks to be a good choice at your price range.

13. Aug 30, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    ross123

ross123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    fort bragg
    The garmin fortrex 401 is a great little gps. I've used it a lot Afghanistan. Goes on your wrist just like a watch.

14. Aug 30, 2012 at 8:03 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Yes & No

Technically, you don't need cell service - HOWEVER - the phone becomes sooooooo very slow, hangs up, and/or locks up completely.

So yes.....you should have cell service for optimum performance and minimal frustration.

My husband and I geocache a lot and have used the phones as GPS units. It is NOT fun without cell service. We own two handheld units now - Garmin Oregon 450 and a Garmin Map62s.

15. Aug 30, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    Phlip4x4Sport

Phlip4x4Sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Torrance, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab 4x4 Off-Road Long Bed
    New and Unmodified

x2 but the price is high. I have the Garmin Rhino 530hcx. Be aware you can get some used. The 530 and the 530hcx are different. The hcx has a MUCH better receiver and finds your location even under thick tree cover. All the Rhinos allow you to use the built in radio to transmit your location to another Rhino.. super handy... but twice as expensive as you wanted.

16. Aug 30, 2012 at 2:27 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    yea, i really was just referencing the GPS portion of the unit.

i am not in love with the tracking feature, i.e. dropping a trail of breadcrumbs..on the Garmins..but the rest of the unit kicks butt. once you calibrate a GPS to match your topo maps, it is a very powerful combination. a Garmin is easy to calibrate.

17. Aug 30, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    I picked up a garman E- Trex10 more then 10 years ago think it was 69 on sale at Bass pro. They still make them but they are 109 now mine has never let me down. Was in more then 1 driving rain with it, had to hold it right up to my face to see it. It said I was about 20 feet from the truck but I walked right in to it . For me if mine broke down or I lost it, guess what I WOULD BUY..Good base gps, WATERPROOF and last year after year...Jim

Products Discussed in

To Top