1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reloading

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by CorrosiveTendency, Sep 3, 2012.

?

Do you reload for the firearms you own?

Poll closed Oct 3, 2012.
  1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. And then some

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sep 3, 2012 at 4:16 PM
    RLDTACO

RLDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
    I can't agree more. I think it will take a while to recoup my investment but in the meantime I can load what I want and enjoy doing it. Just an extension of the shooting sport.

2. Sep 3, 2012 at 4:24 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    Here's how I use it. I'm not usually concerned about pressure when I'm chronographing a load. I'm more concerned about velocity spread in a group. Reducing the velocity spread means reducing the vertical spread in your group. I don't have a 600 yd range - I usually shoot at a 200 yd range. Knowing whether my velo spread is 90 fps or 15 fps will help me know what to expect at distance. That being said, it does help me know when to pay extra attention to how the brass is holding up, how the bolt is acting, etc.

It's also important for something like my 300 BLK, when I know I need to meet a minimum speed for reliable expansion in a hunting bullet for hogs or deer. I can get those speeds with some 308 bullets, and not with others. I've been shooting it for a couple years now and there's still not as much info out there on loads as I'd like, so I'm glad I can test them and know what my gun is doing.

I was VERY glad to have my chrony one day when I was trying some 125 gr NBTs in my 300 BLK. I shot the first starting load an it was a couple hundred FPS above what I thought I was going to get. I shot another load and got the same, and knew it was time to toss the rest of the loads that day. I still don't know if the ammo box got shook up, or if I just messed something up or if I got bad data but I was very glad I didn't work on up the ladder.

If you're just loading to plink or loading for maximum economy, then I agreee a chrony is not needed. I don't chrony my 38 Spl loads, for instance, because I'm plinking cans at about 15 yards most of the time.

3. Sep 3, 2012 at 4:27 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    You will absolutely save money if you shoot much at all. Maybe not so much on pistol loads but rifle loads have significant opportunity for cost saving.

4. Sep 3, 2012 at 4:29 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    x2 i figured it up one time and for what i could buy 2 boxes (40rds) of 7mm-08 from somewhere like walmart or wherever i could reload 175 bullets by hand

5. Sep 3, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    alexretama

alexretama Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Long Beach, CA
    Ive been looking for a good beginners guide for reloading 30-06. Ive got a station set up in the garage right now but I guess im scared to start untill Im completely %100 confident in what im doing. Does anyone have any good references?

6. Sep 3, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    RLDTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
    I plan on working up rounds for my 308 first which is basically a 200/300 yrd range gun. Then after I have some idea of what I'm doing I will work on something for my AR. My handguns are 9mm, but not sure a single stage press will be much fun to loading that.

7. Sep 3, 2012 at 4:52 PM
    RLDTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Buy a couple reloading manuals. I have the Speer and the Lyman 49th reloading book. Lots of information there. Also I here the book "The ABC's of Reloading" is good also.

8. Sep 3, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Agreed - the Lyman Reloading Handbook is a great start. It will give you lots of basic info and get you started safely. I don't buy bullet manuals anymore. It seems that in the last few years the powder lawyers have realized that good reloading info is better than bad, so most powder makers have their reloading info available online for free.

9. Sep 4, 2012 at 7:00 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Not me...but my husband does.

10. Sep 4, 2012 at 1:20 PM
    CorrosiveTendency

CorrosiveTendency [OP] When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    05' DblCab SB Speedway Blue
    OME 885's, Locker Mod. Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners
    Read, read, read then read some more. Make sure you have everything you need to start, double check. Then once you are ready, start one step at a time. I am self taught, learn new things all the time and ask the seasoned guys when there is something I am unsure of. Did I mention how important it is to READ and compare data? Also keep a notebook.

11. Sep 4, 2012 at 1:26 PM
    CorrosiveTendency

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    Your use of a chrony would most definatly warrant owning it. When I am loading, every single charge is weighed so I am confident in having minimal velocity spread. Or am I incorrect in this assumption?

12. Sep 5, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    alexretama

alexretama Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Long Beach, CA
    Ive read Speer's "Reloading Manual #14" a couple times. I think I'll check out "The Abc's of Reloading" next. I guess Im just scared to start:eek: Thank you, Gentlemen

13. Sep 5, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    I'm just starting out myself. I bought a press but I also bought a Lee Loader for 7.62X54r just to get started. Hand loading is pretty easy and safe. The hardest part is to ensure that you're using the right type and amount of powder. The loading books referenced will help you there - and you might also check with others who reload to see what they use.

I got a lot of info on the Gunboards forum and found some people who specifically work with 7.62X54r to give me some suggestions.

I would suggest that you invest in a decent digital scale. I tried a cheaper one and it toasted itself inside of 25 rounds. I opted for an RCBS 750 and that works well.

Having now hand loaded about 200 rounds, I'm ready to start moving to my press. I'm getting great results with my hand loads in terms of consistency and accuracy - the best reason to reload, IMHO.

14. Sep 6, 2012 at 1:34 AM
    WizzyTRDTXPRO

WizzyTRDTXPRO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    TRD TX PRO 4x4
    I know a few guys that reload that gets their lead from tire shops recycling the wheel weights.

15. Sep 6, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    CorrosiveTendency

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    I see alot of that. I was thinking of just starting to grab a few pounds here and there, store it in the garage and eventually... few years down the road, you have a good chunk of change in recycled lead.

16. Sep 6, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    I wouldn't say you're incorrect, because I don't know how your loads are actually performing. I can tell you that especially when I'm playing with different powders, I will see consistency differences. Five rounds using 45.0 gr of TAC will have a different velocity range than five rounds using 45.0 grains of Varget (in this case, Varget will almost always be more consistent). Even with the same powder, you will see trends in velocity ranges based on the free space in a case. With faster/hotter powders, you don't use enough powder in a cartridge like 300 BLK to have a consistent powder column and you get inconsistent burn and very wide velocity ranges, no mater how accurately you measure. In that case, you have to either reduce the free space in the case or try a different powder.

17. Sep 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
    It "can" be a wider spread than one would imagine, like posted above. Also can depend if you are weighing/sorting your brass. Are you neck turning, full length resizing or just neck sizing? A chrony IMO is your friend, and allow for more info to record into your log.

18. Sep 6, 2012 at 11:16 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Been considering reloading for my 270. All I have is that and a 12 gauge. My dad has an arsenal that would make a nra chairmen blush. Been trying to talk him into reloading because he shoots a ridiculous amount of 223 and every size handgun you can think of.

Any tips on what equipment would be good for me? I don't need anything super fancy, just for my 270 and whatever else i decide to buy later. (Preferably to cabelas as I have $400 in gift cards for there) :D

19. Sep 6, 2012 at 11:34 PM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
    Your gonna get as many opinions on brand of reloading equipment as what's the the best motor oil, or best color on a Taco. For $400.00 you could get your self a nice little set up, (assuming you were wanting to drop all of your gift card) maybe even a little less. I use a RCBS press and scale and a mix of all other stuff. I started with a Lee Challenger Anniversary kit, has almost everything you need but dies and a couple of good books. Some folks kinda poo poo Lee cause its lower end, but it'll crank out as good a round as any of them. I feel the dies and case prep make the most difference. But I'm sure some will be quick to tell me I'm wrong.

Here is a link to Cabelas, read the reviews. Look at a RCBS Rockchucker kit if you want to spend a bit more.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...792580;cat104761080;cat104516280#BVRRWidgetID

20. Sep 7, 2012 at 4:07 AM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    I use a Rockchucker as well. It's a bulletproof single stage. I installed a Hornady Lock N Load bushing system on it, so changing a die takes 1/4 turn and 2 seconds. RCBS powder measure, RCBS hand priming system, Wilson Case trimmer, Lyman tumbler I think. Lee dies are inespensive and great for plinking rounds. I have an expensive set with a micrometer seating die for my 308 since I'm slowly edging toward competition with it.

Products Discussed in

To Top