Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

skeet and trap shooters

Old 03-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #41
Awesome Member
WarEagleForLife will become famous soon enough
Name: Dylan
WarEagleForLife's Tacoma Gallery
I need some advice yall. Im trying to join the skeet and trap team here at FSU. But right now I just use my rem 870 for trap. So obviously I need a new gun. I was wondering if anyone had an ideas for a nice over under around 500 or so. Give or take a few bucks. Can be used, because this is going to be a starter for me. Thanks yall
Old 03-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #42
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagleForLife View Post
I need some advice yall. Im trying to join the skeet and trap team here at FSU. But right now I just use my rem 870 for trap. So obviously I need a new gun. I was wondering if anyone had an ideas for a nice over under around 500 or so. Give or take a few bucks. Can be used, because this is going to be a starter for me. Thanks yall
shoot some at the range and see what you like, have you shot a O/U before? i didn't particularly care for it when i shot my uncles, my pump is much more comfortable. just my .02
Old 03-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #43
Awesome Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
You can't touch a o/u for that price. You can but your 870 would be a better fun I was where you are at the start of this year. I went out and ender up with a remigton 1100 classic trap. Ot ended up brig more expensive than I wanted but it has paid of and is an awesome gun. I know when I miss, it is me, not the gun I would suggest an 1100. If you can find a classic trap model for close to your budget, harms down GET IT! Money well spent.
I was actually just looking at an 1100. I saw new they can run a little over a 1000. But I was hoping to find a used one to save me a little bit of money.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #44
New guy
Ryan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic/ff reserve
Name: Ryan
Ryan DCFS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's gonna be tough. You might be able to find a used basic Browning Citori.

Check local gun shops and gun clubs. A local/private seller might be willing to cut a deal for a student.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #45
Awesome Member
I am a fan of remington, so an 1100 would be nice for the right price. Another questions, Im a left handed shooter, and I know some stocks have a slight "lean" to them, specifically for right or left handed shooter. Does the 1100 have that?
Old 03-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #46
New guy
Ryan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
shoot some at the range and see what you like, have you shot a O/U before? i didn't particularly care for it when i shot my uncles, my pump is much more comfortable. just my .02
Quote:
You can't touch a o/u for that price. You can but your 870 would be a better fun I was where you are at the start of this year. I went out and ender up with a remigton 1100 classic trap. Ot ended up brig more expensive than I wanted but it has paid of and is an awesome gun. I know when I miss, it is me, not the gun I would suggest an 1100. If you can find a classic trap model for close to your budget, harms down GET IT! Money well spent.
Quote:
I was actually just looking at an 1100. I saw new they can run a little over a 1000. But I was hoping to find a used one to save me a little bit of money.

The above two posts are good advice. A semi auto is probably going to be more economical for you. An o/u is a different beat than a pump or semi. I shoot a browning BPS but I started shooting trap with a really old Citori, and my dad has a Benelli semi Auto.

I don't shoot competitively, so I'm very partial to my BPS... it's a utilitarian gun, and I'm more accurate with it than many of the people I shoot with... But none of them compete either... Shoot a few different guns, semi and o/u and see what you like.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #47
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
used to shoot a lot back in high school. i know this is juvenile for you competitive shooters, but my favorite thing to do shooting skeet (or trap. whatever you call) is play Annie Oakley, especially if you have one of the big pivoting and moving throwers.

for those of you that don't know... you have 5 "stations", each about 6 foot apart where 5 shooters stand. the thrower is in front. first man on far end yells "pull" and a target is thrown. if he hits it, round over. if he misses, than the second man can shoot at it and knock him out of the round. and you work on down the line. . funnest thing? knock out everybody at once. i have done it once. first, second, third, and fourth men all missed the skeet right before it hit the ground i aimed under it and cracked it in half about 2 foot above the ground. really really fun game.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #48
New guy

Quote:
I am a fan of remington, so an 1100 would be nice for the right price. Another questions, Im a left handed shooter, and I know some stocks have a slight "lean" to them, specifically for right or left handed shooter. Does the 1100 have that?

You may prefer an over/under then. My BPS pump is a bottom eject, so it's very much ambidextrous... Most semi auto's you'll see are right hand eject... This could possibly be a distraction in doubles... (Competitive shooters correct me if I'm wrong)... Semi auto with left hand eject might be difficult to find used.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #49
No matter where you go there you are.
taco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Galen
taco084gb's Tacoma Gallery
On the $500 dollar range for a beginner O/U shotgun is a Big 5 Ithica. We got my step son one for beginning trap shooting and he used it for 2 years. It came with different choke tubes. IT was a good starter shotgun and our gun club recommended it. We got it on sale there for $489.00. It was 28" in length. So there is inexpensive shotguns available. But I shoot a Browning O/U Citori so well out of the price of $500 but if you plan on doing it for competition its well worth it. Pumps our noisy and slow I know I owned a 870 and it was terrible for trap shooting. Especially if you are standing next to some one and you dont have a shell catcher to stop your shells from hitting the guy on your right of you. Also the noise of the cycle of the pump it can sometimes set off the speaker system the sets the clay target out for ya. That is one reason why I got ride of mine.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #50
2Low8 is on a distinguished road

2Low8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Beretta 391s are great as well if you can find one at a decent price. Make sure you get one with a wood stock so you can have it fitted to you if you choose to later. I am not sure if 1100s have a canted stock, but I do know that Berettas have shims so you can adjust the stock. I have a 20 gauge 391 as a bird gun, it is very reliable and nice to shoot. Personally, I'd not go out and buy a cheap over under unless it is a used, reputable gun. I have a friend who bought a $500 one (forgot model) from Dick's. He had his firing pins fall out during competition twice. They are fine for occasional bird hunting but if you shoot competitively the guns just can't take the high amount of shells run through them.

And go for a longer barrel, 30 or 32 on over/under or 28-30 on automatic. Swings much better and has a better sight picture.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #51
LAH60 is on a distinguished road

Name: Laura
LAH60's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan DCFS View Post
You may prefer an over/under then. My BPS pump is a bottom eject, so it's very much ambidextrous... Most semi auto's you'll see are right hand eject... This could possibly be a distraction in doubles... (Competitive shooters correct me if I'm wrong)... Semi auto with left hand eject might be difficult to find used.

I have a Browning Silver SemiAuto and a Browning Citori o/v I shoot left but my Silver is for right handed. I find that it is much easier to reload a right handed then using a left handed shotgun. I love my Silver and use it for everything. Before that I had a right hand Rem 1100, Worked splended for me, then ended up giving it to one of my sons.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #52
JTacoma will become famous soon enough

JTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Remington 870 Wingmaster
Old 03-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #53
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
I shoot a beretta silver snipe O/U 20ga. It's not the ideal trap gun but I do about average with it. Also as said above, Annie Oakley is pretty fun! I hunt quail and dove too with this gun.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #54
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
A WarEagleForLife, joining the team at FSU ????????????

Ha, Ha just kidding.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #55
TX TOY is on a distinguished road

Name: Bud
TX TOY's Tacoma Gallery
I shoot a few Sporting clays tournament a year, mostly Oil & Gas industry benefit shoots... Shooting a Beretta o/u...

skeet and trap shooters-20130316_093224.jpeg

skeet and trap shooters-20130316_100211.jpeg

Last year I shot my first weekly 5 stand league and that was fun, ready for it to start again... Bustin clays is a lot of fun...
Old 04-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #56
BDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really nice

Name: Brandon
BDJ's Tacoma Gallery
Remington 870 express magnum, I know it's not fancy but it is one of the best.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #57
mrsteve is a splendid one to beholdmrsteve is a splendid one to beholdmrsteve is a splendid one to beholdmrsteve is a splendid one to beholdmrsteve is a splendid one to beholdmrsteve is a splendid one to beholdmrsteve is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
mrsteve's Tacoma Gallery
Shot in the mega blast shoot at M&M in jersey this weekend. Friday SUCKED but we kept shooting.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #58
Banned
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
This and this works for me
Old 04-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #59
Banned
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
beautiful 1100 Jim
Thanks, Wish I could hit them like she can find them, The 1100 is 40 years old now had 1 deep cleaning its whole life & still shoots like new.. All the high $ gun peeps trash them but I have always had good luck with mine..Jim
Old 04-19-2013, 06:11 AM   #60
Cajun Yota
Beaureguardbull is on a distinguished road

Name: John
Beaureguardbull's Tacoma Gallery
I shoot a lot, mainly NSCA shoots. I shoot currently a Browning 725 Sporting 32" Barrells. It like it a whole lot better than the Silver Sporting I used to shoot.