Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Spotting a hidden handgun

Old 01-16-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
Spotting a hidden handgun

dunno how reliable this is but found it interesting
Old 01-16-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
good info there bob
Old 01-16-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting.

Slang term is "Printing".

It's iffy on how to respond to this, but if a guy looks legit and if I see the gun print through a shirt.

I'll call it and say, you're printing, might want to conceal that. Put them on notice that I'm aware and others may be as well and that he might have to conceal it better.

This is a total judgement call though. You might say this to the wrong guy and actually get to see the gun in question.

But as a courtesy from one gun guy to another, I'd say something.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
Levis and a good holster, no one has even looked twice at me
Old 01-16-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
I think a lot of those motions could also be due to carrying a cell phone
Old 01-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
Interesting.

Slang term is "Printing".

It's iffy on how to respond to this, but if a guy looks legit and if I see the gun print through a shirt.

I'll call it and say, you're printing, might want to conceal that. Put them on notice that I'm aware and others may be as well and that he might have to conceal it better.

This is a total judgement call though. You might say this to the wrong guy and actually get to see the gun in question.

But as a courtesy from one gun guy to another, I'd say something.
I personally would appreciate if I was being too obvious. I like to think that you cannot see it normally.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
Professional High Fiver
Oh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really nice

Oh_Six_Taco_4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I carry a gun off duty and often find myself doing several of those actions. Its funny, I notice many other police officers doing those same motions as well. +1 Good Post.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

None that lived to tell about it.....just kidding. I was fishing on a deserted beach with my girl here in Florida. Dude walks up close and started asking for money and a smoke, I didn't show it, but he saw it. He said nice gun, walked away, like I said , I didn't even touch it but he knew. We went right home after that.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #9

Ruger P_95 DC which is a "bigger" gun 15 round mag, federal hyrdashock jacketed hollopoint...can you see it??
Old 01-17-2009, 01:22 AM   #10
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Something I always noticed is the way a cop stands, they get use to the 'field interview stance' and do it off duty also.
The FI stance is comfortable to the officer, natural in
appearance and non-threatening to the public. It is done by
keeping the hands above waist level and feet shoulder
width apart with one foot slightly back. The officer’s knees
should have a slight bend to enable the officer to move
quickly if a threat were to surface.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:20 AM   #11
Glockin
GasTiresOil has a spectacular aura aboutGasTiresOil has a spectacular aura about
Law Enforcement:
GasTiresOil's Tacoma Gallery
I was at 6 flags with 2 of my buddies and the girls we were with all said we walked the same. We walked "like cops". They said it was funny to watch. i dont even notice how I walk any different than anyone else.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:40 AM   #12
PaulVthe3 will become famous soon enoughPaulVthe3 will become famous soon enough

PaulVthe3's Tacoma Gallery
Nice post very informative. What about ankle holsters? Its funny to notice someone who is obviosly carrying for the first time and making the Walmart walk. Esp. when the gun is to large for the holster. They go to the magazine stand and try to adjust as best they can before they go to the restroom and readjust. I prefer sob holsters with a g-19 or 27.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:44 AM   #13
Professional High Fiver
Oh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really nice

Oh_Six_Taco_4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Lets not forget, when hugging family and good friends.....ALWAYS, go for the low arm hug. Give them no other choice but to be the one who goes high and raises their arms. Multiple reasons, 1 if they dont know u carry they may bump it and find out and scare em, 2 while raising ur arms high you may UN conceal.
Beware pissing off the man wearing a fanny pack, sometimes this can be a big tell. Specially if they have cargo pants on also. How many pockets does one need with a fanny pack? Or go ahead and poke fun.

Tugging at ones shirt while getting out of a vehicle is a good tell.

Sometimes off duty cops are easy to spot.
Lots of times they have the White undershirts (Tee shirt), cargo pants or shorts, trimmed up mustache, short cropped hair and if no fanny pack they are guarded to dominant side. Usually the one without the watch on it. Some people wear their watches on their dominant hand tho. Certain people carry themselves differantly than others and show a higher alertness too.
+1 Very Observant
Old 01-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #14
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
http://erdept.smugmug.com/gallery/71...56480747_y5DCB
Quote:
Forearms resting on belt accesories (sp)...like their baton, butt of weapon, or tops of any ammo pouches. Looks non threatening, lets them rest their shoulders, yet still keeps hands close to weapons.

It sounds like a modified fighting stance. Bring those hands up, dominant foot back a little further and bingo. You have a bladed stance, less target area for the BG, non dominant hand deflects, or blinds with flash light, dominant hand is free for weapon or punch, dominant leg is back providing support or a pivot point to lunge in and make attack if needed.

Slightly beny knees are good when standing for long period of time. I think it may help keep bettter blood flow. Cant remember. and like u said, keeps u ready for quick movement.
I like this stance personally for the same reasons you mention.

But now I read that some people are going full isocolees stance and presenting a full front because, as in competition it's a fast stance to get into but also because on the bladed stance, if you wear a vest, you expose the side flank, which has no trauma plate and usually not even any armor.

When you present the full frontal isocolees stance, you also present the full vest presentation for full vitals protection. Both ways, your head and guts, and femorals are exposed, not to mention the object that makes up what a man is. ha ha

6 of one, half dozen of another. Just putting it out there.

Oh, edit.

Todd Jarret on Weaver vs. Isocelees. Says the military is 20 years behind on accepting new techniques. He says face square, which allows your vest to present its greatest frontal area........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50...eature=related
Old 01-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #15
stratton will become famous soon enough

stratton's Tacoma Gallery
I tend to always check for my gun when I carry it in my waistband. Even though I would feel the difference in weight and the loose feel of my jeans if it ever fell out. Its just a nervous thing I guess. I carry a 380 semi, with a rather small frame. And the holster is an inside-the-pants holster. You can not see a buldge at all. I need to work on not checking for the gun like a nervous nelly.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #16
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratton View Post
I tend to always check for my gun when I carry it in my waistband. Even though I would feel the difference in weight and the loose feel of my jeans if it ever fell out. Its just a nervous thing I guess. I carry a 380 semi, with a rather small frame. And the holster is an inside-the-pants holster. You can not see a buldge at all. I need to work on not checking for the gun like a nervous nelly.
Excellent awareness and better safe than sorry. As far as the small caliber, it's placment rather than strict caliber that makes a difference.

Anyone want to be shot with a .22, raise their hand.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #17
stratton will become famous soon enough

stratton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
Excellent awareness and better safe than sorry. As far as the small caliber, it's placment rather than strict caliber that makes a difference.

Anyone want to be shot with a .22, raise their hand.
Good point. I would never want to feel what it is like to get shot with any gun. The airsoft bb guns hurt enough for my likes. I used to be a sheriffs deputy and before my time they made the switch from 9mm to the 45. I guess they had problems with people staying up for longer then expected when they got shot with the 9mm. The 45 has a lot more knock down power. Either way is lethal, its a matter of how many seconds are they left on their feet to be able to respond after getting shot.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #18
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratton View Post
Good point. I would never want to feel what it is like to get shot with any gun. The airsoft bb guns hurt enough for my likes. I used to be a sheriffs deputy and before my time they made the switch from 9mm to the 45. I guess they had problems with people staying up for longer then expected when they got shot with the 9mm. The 45 has a lot more knock down power. Either way is lethal, its a matter of how many seconds are they left on their feet to be able to respond after getting shot.
True dat.

I got the 9mm to stay NATO. It's a cal. available everywhere.

I got it for the great apocalypse, when I can pick up a soldier's ammo or a gang bangers or raid the local walmart of sprting goods store.

But I answer the door with the .45, 230 grain, SXT, Black Talons, or Hydrashoks.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #19
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
mmmmmmmmmmm hydra's, same here 230 gr

Yeah baby, great minds think alike.

I see from your avitar that you look like a very intelligent person.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #20
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
This is actually pretty good info on spotting someone carrying...we had these distributed to us last year for that very reason

as far as stance goes...i tend to use the Field Interview stance most of the time because of the bladed stance and shielding my weapon...however if i'm the backup officer i use the isosceles stance...i figure im going to see the offender going for a weapon before the lead officer because typically as backup i'll be watching more than just looking at his face