Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

30-06 ammo

Old 01-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
30-06 ammo

my father bought me a remington 7400 30-06 semi auto about 25 years ago and its never been fired and ive been thinking for the past few months i wanna shoot that thing. this morning i went to the local gun shop only to find out theres about 500 different loads and a wide range of grains to go with. is there anyone out there that has a particular load they like?
Old 01-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
I couldn't recommend any weights to go with since I don't shoot the 30-06 BUT if it's a semi-automatic rifle I would be sure to stay away from any "light-mag" loads. These are hot loads and can cause damage to your rifle. Not to mention expensive.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
i read something about that where they are doing some kinda damage
Old 01-17-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Yes sir. They create too much pressure in the chamber. Someone around here is bound to point you in the right direction. The 30-06 has to be one of the most popular rounds around.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
Beef Slut

Firefighter:
god yeah, i thought it was a law not to own a 30-06
Old 01-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
http://winchester.com/products/catal...ZmllbGQ=&use=7
Old 01-17-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
If you are just going to shoot pick up some Remington Core Locks in 150 grain.
I like the Federal Premium 150 grain boattail soft points for hunting deer and pigs.
If you are target shooting and accuracy is a big deal pick up some premium ammo in 168 grain. From what I have herd a .30 caliber bullet in 168 grain has the least amount of drag in flight. I am not that big of an accuracy nut so the 150 grain group just fine out of my Savage.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:38 PM   #9
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Does the CMP still have that korean surp 30-06. O bought a boat load of that stuff. It stunk like doggy poo poo when you shot it and it is corrosive but it was cheap.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
i like 165gr. for my 06
Old 01-22-2009, 07:39 PM   #12
Northern Alliance: Airlift Div
Coreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud of

Air Force: Flight Engineer
Coreyjon's Tacoma Gallery
The 30-06 will be less picky than your Kimber, The Remington Core-lokt is a relatively cheap round that is fairly consistent (i use the term fairly loosely here). 165 gr. would probably be a good place to start, buy 20 rounds only, see how the rifle handles a particular round before you go buying 1000 rd lots. Make sure to clean and lubricate your rifle before taking it to the range since it's been sitting so long. I shoot a 103 year old 1903 - proof that proper care (and in my case, a properly heat treated receiver) can give you many years with the same rifle (except the barrels do wear out).

now to submit the paper work for my pistol permit. and set up a reloading bench I have a mountain of 30-06 brass under my bed.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:44 PM   #13
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^^ remington corelokt is good ammo.

i,myself, have a remington 7400 .270...............and i use either the corelokt ammo, or i use winchester silvertips.....150 grain. pretty consistent, but you gotta clean the hell outta them semi auto's and keep them clean........even take the action apart and clean it thoroughly.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:31 PM   #14
Redneck from the hills
cbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
cbcs1987's Tacoma Gallery
Stay away from the high dollar winchester ballistic tips. You can buy 2 boxes of anything else for the price of one box of them.
My dad shoots a 7400 30-06 with Remington Corelok express 150 grain. It groups within a 3/4" at 100 yards
Old 01-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #15
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
I find if it says "Federal" on the box it tends to shoot true. Other stuff, doesn't.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:27 AM   #16
Mustache May
MacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of light

MacTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Federal is great ammo.

But you are just wanting to see how the thing fires, and waste a few rounds then the cheapest ammo(with decent quality) is the Remington UMC ammo. Preferably in 150 grain.

That what I shoot in my .308 when I go to the range. If I'm shooting anywhere else, then I'm shooting either Hornady, Federal or Winchester Ballistic.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:10 PM   #17
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Why not reload?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:21 PM   #18
09 tacoma trd is on a distinguished road

09 tacoma trd's Tacoma Gallery
i find the best round to use is the 180 grain winchester fail safe. very accurate, strong. the best but expensive. you get what you pay for