Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

best handgun for a beginner?

Old 01-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #41
Banned
Bill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to behold
Bill Brasky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
i think it helps that my handgun knowledge is somewhat limited because the first one i ever held was for work...

regardless...i fell in love with Glocks the day i was issued mine...and for those people that say they arent reliable or whatnot...

the majority of Law Enforcement Agencies in this country cant be wrong...they wouldnt issue their officers unreliable weapons...can you imagine how much the family of a killed LEO would sue if it was found out his weapon FTF during a shootout
i'll never question Glock as a sound solution, just that it's not a good fit for me. I, personally, would never feel comfortable carrying one, and it wouldn't be b/c I was worried it wouldn't fire, it would be b/c I'm not very accurate or practiced with one.

Just wanted to make that clear.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:53 PM   #42
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
i'll never question Glock as a sound solution, just that it's not a good fit for me. I, personally, would never feel comfortable carrying one, and it wouldn't be b/c I was worried it wouldn't fire, it would be b/c I'm not very accurate or practiced with one.

Just wanted to make that clear.

I think you're more accurate and able than you let on.

You seem to have a lot of knowlege on guns.

Gun folks are the best people that I know. Most of them honest and "salt of the earth" type folks.

I'm the only gun guy that I don't like.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #43
kidwok is on a distinguished road
kidwok's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome vid. I can't wait to get out and try it. Paper beware! I also have nothing against Glocks. Most of the cops I hang out with use them. I just wanted the external safety for my wife, my kids, and of course my self.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #44
2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice
Navy:
2009tacomav6's Tacoma Gallery
H&K - USP 40/45. Light weight, easy to manage, dark in color to minimize someone spotting it. Then get yourself a nice THS holseter, in the pants for minimal exposure and easy comfort when walking around.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #46
Banned
Bill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009tacomav6 View Post
H&K - USP 40/45. Light weight, easy to manage, dark in color to minimize someone spotting it. Then get yourself a nice THS holseter, in the pants for minimal exposure and easy comfort when walking around.
I like the way you think.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #47
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
XD 9mm service model with thumb saftey. Trust me, you need to handle this pistol before you make a decision.
I would say he needs to actually shoot one moreso than just handle one. The reason I say this is b/c I bought one based on how it felt, but I sold it b/c of the way it shot.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #48
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would say he needs to actually shoot one moreso than just handle one. The reason I say this is b/c I bought one based on how it felt, but I sold it b/c of the way it shot.
x2

bought my xd on recommendations along and ended up selling it because it didnt fit my hand right and i couldnt shoot it worth a shit
Old 01-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #49
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I meant rent one.
That's too bad you didn't like yours. I've had 4 so far and everyone has been golden.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #50
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
I was researching the Glock vids when I saw this Todd Jarret Vid.

He's one of a bunch of competitive shooters that's good.

Anyway, some interesting prone pistol tips and rifle tips. Watch till the end of the vid where he fires underneath his truck a la North Hollywood shootout style, when the PD came in and skipped bullets at the shooter's ankle under his car..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic826...eature=related

I, uhh, wish I had ole Todd's money. Somehow it seems life would be a little sweeter if we all had real M4's and a Barett 82A1 to play with.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #51
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
good advice fellas, sorry i havent really been keeping up on this thread. Still recovering from the flu.

glocks and 9mm's are good points..There always up at gun shows and such, and pretty cheap compared to some of the others ive noticed.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #52
fireball is on a distinguished road
fireball's Tacoma Gallery
Ya need some hands on advice. Stop reading about it. Find a friend with a collection of firearms to learn from or find a shooting school to attend, join the military or law enforcement. It ain't cheap with the price of firearms and especially ammo today. For self defense you need at least a 9mm/.38/.357/.380 caliber firearm, brand does not matter as long as your hand is comfortable and can put rounds on target and the firearm is reliable. To be proficent, it will take maybe 2,000 to 5,000 rounds initially because of development of your muscle memory, after that you need to shoot at least a box or two monthly for self defense, alot more if you really enjoy it and a whole bunch more if a competitor or law enforcement or military. It is a whole lot of fun. Best advice I could give is when any firearm is in your hand, put the front sight on target and constantly be saying to yourself front sight,front sight, front sight,front sight if you want to hit your target. Get Some!
Good Luck
Fireball
Old 02-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #53
wes is on a distinguished road

wes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
i know this topic has been beaten to death, but im just wondering what would be a good reccomendation for a gun for me?

nothing to carry for a daily weapon
possible self protection(walking in woods,fishing in remote spots)
since i do drive on dark roads alot, and its happened before, if i have a collision with an animal, to put it out of its misery

with that being said, what would be a good recommendation?
A 9mm FS92 Beretta (i have one) is buttery smooth and on spot accurate.Shoot brass case quality ammo and this piece will never let you down!!
Old 02-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #54
ramriezcuthair is on a distinguished road
ramriezcuthair's Tacoma Gallery
id say go with a 1911 45. acp and get a conversion kit to a 22LR and when you feel ready switch it back to a 45. cant go wrong there it has the knock down power you want
Old 02-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #55
Northern Alliance Gynecologist
TacoMon is on a distinguished road

TacoMon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Very good point about the .38's

A medium frame .357 with a four inch barrel loaded with stout .38+P's is what used when I taught my wife to shoot. Not by coincidence this has also been our "house gun" for some sixteen years now. Shoot mild .38's at the range and save the heavy loads for when they are hopefully never needed.

A revolver is simple and reliable. In a high-stress situation even well trained people make mistakes and forgetting to take off a safety, or having a gun go "click" are the things that will get you killed.