Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

best handgun for a beginner?

Old 01-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
best handgun for a beginner?

i know this topic has been beaten to death, but im just wondering what would be a good reccomendation for a gun for me?

nothing to carry for a daily weapon
possible self protection(walking in woods,fishing in remote spots)
since i do drive on dark roads alot, and its happened before, if i have a collision with an animal, to put it out of its misery

with that being said, what would be a good recommendation?
Old 01-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
Travs97 is on a distinguished road
Travs97's Tacoma Gallery
22 revolver
Old 01-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:

nah..cant impress nobody with a 22..lol
Old 01-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
Travs97 is on a distinguished road
Travs97's Tacoma Gallery
well them get a 44 and shoot it with one hand
Old 01-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
bradu81 will become famous soon enoughbradu81 will become famous soon enough
bradu81's Tacoma Gallery
ruger blackhawk single action revolver.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
stratton will become famous soon enough

stratton's Tacoma Gallery
If you just want a gun and not really shoot that much then there is a lot of choices. But if you want to master handguns and become really good then you need to get a 22. for your first. If you start out with a pistol thats just to big you will develop bad habits when shooting. Trust me, it happened to me. I since bought a cheapo berreta 22 auto. And I have improved 100%. A pistol is nothing like a rifle or shotgun. There is more variables that come into play. And you need to shoot a lot to get good at it. So a 22. cal is a good start. Then you can start to buy more toys later on.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
kidwok is on a distinguished road
kidwok's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a 22 beretta for plinking, a H&K usp compact 40 for defense, and an AR-15 for when the zombies, aliens, and robots attack. The H&K is loaded with 12 safety slugs under my bed in an electronic safe. I would highly recommend this weapon. It is comfortable, easy to shoot, and also has an external safety. I know a lot of swat guys here carry both the full size and compacts so I think it's trust worthy. Also, my two fifteen year old sons and my wife have no problem handling it either. After around eight thousand rounds, still no misfires.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:21 PM   #8

Firefighter:
if you dont mind, how much did the h&k run ya?
Old 01-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
kvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud of

Air Force: MSgt // Security Forces   Retired after 22 yrs of service
kvnhlstd's Tacoma Gallery
Glock 22 in .40 cal Point and shoot $600 new

Sig 229 .40 cal Great side arm $800. new
Old 01-17-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
Springfield XD .40
Old 01-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #11
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
i like more of the classic flashback models of the 1800's try the colt 357 mag i have a few if you interested and a few 45 long colts
Old 01-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #12

My first gun is the gun that I carry now. Its a bersa .380. I was always around guns but never really got profecient at pistols. I coudlnt hit shit with that gun at first. Being such a short barrel everything that I was doing wrong was exgerated. I got a little better with my next pistol. It was a .357 ruger. But I pretty much broke the bank shooting that. I finally starting to put things together when I got my beretta .22 Neos. Now when I go back to my .380 its a world of difference. And to think I always thought I knew more then the older guys at the ranges and classes I took. I wish I would have listened to their advice and got the .22 for my first handgun. I would have a few more bucks in my wallet and less frustration.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:03 PM   #13
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Your choice of .380. Very easy to manage.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:08 PM   #14

Dont get my wrong, if I could conceal a big .50 caliber in my pants I would. I would love to see the look on a bad guys face when you draw down on them with a pistol capable of putting a golf ball size hole in them.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #15
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
A glock or a revolver.

Both are similar in that there is no safety lever. When you pull the trigger, both are good to go.

Therefore, you have to realize the you are the safety and practice the NRA's three golden rules of handgun safety. Uniquely, a violaiton of the two while still practicing one should prevent a severe mistake.

But in an emergency situation, they are both so simple that you don't have to fumble for any lever, you essentially load and for the Glock, rack the slide and let it go, don't ease it back, and fire.

Both very simple to maintain as well.

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.
2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
When holding a gun, rest your finger on the trigger guard or along the side of the gun. Until you are actually ready to fire, do not touch the trigger.

3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
Whenever you pick up a gun, immediately engage the safety device if possible, and, if the gun has a magazine, remove it before opening the action and looking into the chamber(s) which should be clear of ammunition. If you do not know how to open the action or inspect the chamber(s), leave the gun alone and get help from someone who does.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #16

Firefighter:
i like the idea of either a .40 or .45..hmmmm
Old 01-17-2009, 06:35 PM   #17
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
my vote is the 45 long colt, wyatt earp and billy the kid couldnt be wrong
Old 01-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #18

OK I have a question about glocks. I know they are carried by law enforcement. But I have heard a lot of bad things about them. I just took a NRA course for handguns. I didnt need to but thought why not. Anyways.... the instructor bashed glocks the whole time. He owns a couple along with a million other handguns that he brought in for the class. He claims that they are throw away guns. And that the polymer doesnt last like a good quailty gun. I know that they are not considered a highly accurate handgun. But has anyone else heard negative things about them. I would like to buy one someday but I dont wanna spend a lot if it is only trendy to do so. My friend has one but he can be bias, seeing how you would never want to diss a expensive gun that you bought.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:11 PM   #19
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
pittim's Tacoma Gallery
no matter what you decide on, make sure you handle them, and if possible, go to a range with them.

as everybody says, a gun that you aren't comfortable with is just as good as no gun at all.

i plan on getting a p226 or p229 in .40 on or shortly after my 21st birthday.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #20

So What do you know about the .357 in auto. I guess they shrunk down the mag to more like ACP so its a lot shorter. how is that for knock down power?If I was to buy a pistol tomorrow I would want an auto but with a shit load of power. I wouldnt mind carrying it when I am hiking in bear country. I did see the tarus ,thats a .45 colt and also a .410 shotgun. I think its a 5 shot revolver. Any other idea's