Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

layering clothing.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #41
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
ive never really cared for the mittens, but ive never tried them either. Where'd ya get 'em from?
i got them here locally at a place called catawba bait and tackle.............awesome gloves man!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:22 PM   #42
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
never really wore anything special when working in the elements. On the cold days I wore an undershirt, short sleeve shirt, long sleeve shirt or 2, maybe a sweatshirt and light hooded sweatshirt under my jacket. The key is to retain the heat on your head and neck because thats your biggest heat loss. Also stay moving because as soon as you stop your heart rate drops and you freeze ur balls off.

i have a thermal shirt and pants, but I don't wear them much. I've worn two pairs of thinner gloves and still froze my hands off. That's the hardest thing I have is keeping my hands warm. you get big gloves and you cant do anything with them. too thin and you freeze. too many and you restrict blood flow. That's part of the reason I don't like some of the thermal stuff, it's too restricting. If I worked outside a lot I would have to come up with better solutions because it takes like half an hour to layer up that much and then I feel like I'm doing laundry every couple days.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #43
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i got them here locally at a place called catawba bait and tackle.............awesome gloves man!

im intrested....prices?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #44
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
never really wore anything special when working in the elements. On the cold days I wore an undershirt, short sleeve shirt, long sleeve shirt or 2, maybe a sweatshirt and light hooded sweatshirt under my jacket. The key is to retain the heat on your head and neck because thats your biggest heat loss. Also stay moving because as soon as you stop your heart rate drops and you freeze ur balls off.

i have a thermal shirt and pants, but I don't wear them much. I've worn two pairs of thinner gloves and still froze my hands off. That's the hardest thing I have is keeping my hands warm. you get big gloves and you cant do anything with them. too thin and you freeze. too many and you restrict blood flow. That's part of the reason I don't like some of the thermal stuff, it's too restricting. If I worked outside a lot I would have to come up with better solutions because it takes like half an hour to layer up that much and then I feel like I'm doing laundry every couple days.

its kinda hard to move, when your sitting down deer hunting

ive got no problems when it comes to working outside. I have a damn carhartt collection in my house.

hell last winter it was about 4 degrees out when i was welding my downpipe in my old 4runner in my insulated carhartt coveralls. Warm as all hell
Old 01-18-2009, 08:28 PM   #45
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
what about a ski suit to keep the wind from entering?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #46
I got fisted

Firefighter:
ski suits arent exactly what we call deer friendly. Those suits like to make that "zip" noise. Deer dont take kindly to that for some reason
Old 01-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #47
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
you just said you aren't moving I never went hunting, or own a ski suit....maybe just drink more booze
Old 01-18-2009, 08:43 PM   #48
I got fisted

Firefighter:
well..im not running a 5k when hunting, lets put it that way. theres only so long one can sit still before HAVING to move in a deer stand. Oddly enough, i swear there was a guy wearing an orange ski suit this year when i was out in the woods.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:45 PM   #49
mneuls is just really nicemneuls is just really nicemneuls is just really nicemneuls is just really nicemneuls is just really nice

mneuls's Tacoma Gallery
I wear a fruit of the loom wifebeater, a pair of stanfield double layered pants and shirt. with a t shirt overtop, then a hoodie. I wear sweatpants and carrhart bibs as well usually. that should get you to -20C or so, any more than that, you'll have to throw on a coat and insulated bibs. I usually wear normal steel toe boots up to - 35c or so, any more than that, or if i'm gonna be sitting in one spot alot, i put on my insulated - 65c boots. I also wear a belaclave, a toque and a face mask. Here is a pic on a particularly cold day, around -56C.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:37 PM   #50
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mneuls View Post
I wear a fruit of the loom wifebeater, a pair of stanfield double layered pants and shirt. with a t shirt overtop, then a hoodie. I wear sweatpants and carrhart bibs as well usually. that should get you to -20C or so, any more than that, you'll have to throw on a coat and insulated bibs. I usually wear normal steel toe boots up to - 35c or so, any more than that, or if i'm gonna be sitting in one spot alot, i put on my insulated - 65c boots. I also wear a belaclave, a toque and a face mask. Here is a pic on a particularly cold day, around -56C.

Oh, yeah, cover your lid. There's alot of heat loss on the head.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #51
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
im intrested....prices?
the ones i got were around $15/20 bucks. dont worry tho.....i'll hook a fellow hunter up!
Old 01-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #52
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so to stay basic, what do i start with as a base layer?

for reference, ill list what i usually wear;

Base layer:Underarmor long sleeve shirt
#2: thermal long sleeve shirt
#3: tshirt
#4fleece zip up
#5 second fleece zip up
#6 insulated coveralls
this year i started wearing a cammo jacket i got from wally world to try and help keep in some warmth. It dosent help.
You need to ditch the cotton and probably even the fleeces and add one or more insulated layers to what you're wearing. I picked up a nice, low bulk, polyester filled jacket that I got for $35 from that Merrell pro-deal that someone posted on here back in December that I layer under my shell and over my base layers when I ski/snowboard. It really helps a lot. Remember loft is going to help keep you warm, much more than just adding lots of layers, as the loft will help trap your body heat in... I can effectively keep warm with 3 or 4 layers on most days.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #53
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
it helps when its -30F for a couple days as well. Today it was 20F and it felt like a heat wave. Hell, some kid just rode his motorcycle down the street!
Old 01-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #54
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
I lived in MA for 3 years. NO THANK YOU. I took about all that cold weather I ever care to have, then moved to Cali.The last year I was there, the toilet FROZE inside the house I was renting. I will never live anywhere that gets that cold ever again. Call me a prick, but we Southerners ( from TN originally) don't handle super-cold weather that well.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #55
I got fisted

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
the ones i got were around $15/20 bucks. dont worry tho.....i'll hook a fellow hunter up!

just let me know..no suprises like pink or anything, huh?
Old 01-19-2009, 07:03 PM   #56

Quote:
just let me know..no suprises like pink or anything, huh?
nah man...........more lighter camo colored...greenish brown with some light color to them.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:10 PM   #57
I got fisted

Firefighter:
thats fine