Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

layering clothing.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
layering clothing.

so im on Cabelas' after the season sale, and im looking at there layering clothing. Every year, and i dont know why, but i just get so damn cold. Im not exactly sure on how to layer either.

I wore an underarmor shirt,thermal,tshirt,and 2 or 3 fleece shirts,coveralls and a jacket over the coveralls this year. I damn near froze my ass off this season. Any help?
Old 01-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
i switch between polypropylene long underwear and microfleece underwear for really cold days, work pants and my insulated overalls, usually a polypro long sleeve shirt, work tshirt, fleece sweater and my double lined work jacket over top. gets the job done!
Old 01-17-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
see i dont really do anything special for underwear. Just my normal pair of boxers, and if its cold ill throw on thermal bottoms, and dress as described above.

Whats this polypro you speak of?
Old 01-17-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
its synthethic material, wicks the sweat off your body a lot quicker so you dont get so cold, got it for mounteering like 7 years ago and its the best stuff i have ever bought. usually costs about twice the price of the regular cotton stuff.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
I got fisted

Firefighter:
i dont really care about cost, just dont wanna get cold any more. BBRRRRR
Old 01-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
polypro is nice stuff -- keeps you nice and warm, but it needs to be in contact the skin to be most effective (ie. go free-balling & no undershirt)

Buy a nice pair of shoes & socks -- oh and a warm beanie / hat to stop heat loss.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #7

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
lol ya i know it sucks, i'd give that a try, could even double them up (polypro and fleece). i wouldnt recommend them for under your bunker gear, they dont hold up to heat very well since they are really just a type of plastic
Old 01-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #8

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaTaco View Post
polypro is nice stuff -- keeps you nice and warm, but it needs to be in contact the skin to be most effective (ie. go free-balling & no undershirt)

Buy a nice pair of shoes & socks -- oh and a warm beanie / hat to stop heat loss.
thats a good point, make sure if u buy a set to get the superman tights! they friggin look funny but they are the best types.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #9
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
Helly Hanson makes nice stuff. Base layer and thermal layer. Old school wool Stanfields work great too!
Old 01-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #11
I got fisted

Firefighter:
yea ive been checking out them since the link was put up a while back. They got some nice stuff..Problem is, for outerwear, they really have nothing that blends in with what we have in jersey.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #12
I got fisted

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK27 View Post
thats a good point, make sure if u buy a set to get the superman tights! they friggin look funny but they are the best types.
hey baby..like my tights?
Old 01-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #13

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
lol! my wife laughs at me every morning i put them on for work....
Old 01-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #14
I got fisted

Firefighter:
i just did a quicky search for the polypro clothes on msn, and it came up for socks, nothing else?

damn maybe ill just hunt from my truck next year..lol
Old 01-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #16

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/prod...=43505-155&ws=

check out these ones, these are their heaviest ones, have a variety of weights available.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #17
There go my nipples again!
Dilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shawn
Dilsky's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on the Helly Hanson.

I work outside in northern Alberta and i don't know what I would do without my Helly Hanson Base layer. The cost is a little higher, but it is well worth it. I also wear winter coveralls which make a huge difference, but I was surviving -20 days with the base layer a sweater and normal coveralls.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:57 PM   #18
If it flies it dies!!
duckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

duckcmdr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
yea ive been checking out them since the link was put up a while back. They got some nice stuff..Problem is, for outerwear, they really have nothing that blends in with what we have in jersey.
the ones i got are like long johns but a hell of alot warmer.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0016690902275a
they also have a shirt that matches that.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #20
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
The trick is breathablility especially if you are wearing the stuff & being active. Sweat is what makes you cold. I dress differently depending on many factors. Wet cold, dry cold, moving, standing, etc. I will swap my layers out too, mid day, socks especially if I'm moving a lot. My outer layer, coat & pants are insulated but with vents. You open them up to let the moisture escape, especially if you are moving. You can shut em down when you stop moving.

Check the labels or description of what the item is made of. I do not use any cotton whatsoever since it holds moisture. Not good! Most Under Armor Type shirts are 100% polyester. Most wicking material is a mix of polyester & spandex. The spandex lets it breathe better. Socks with Merino Wool 80% & up with a mix of spandex & polyester work the best imo. All the winter training with the Mountain Division taught me something.

It doesn't have to be expensive either. I shop Target, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Dick Sporting Goods, Gander Mtn or Kohls-brand for my layering stuff. Believe or not, Kohls, Wal Mart & Target have UA knock offs for 10-15 bucks that works just the same as the $50 UA ones. (more mod money). Happy Shopping