Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Who has an AK (and variants)?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #41
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Went to a dealer today and was shown an AK-47. Dealer insisted it was new, but it certainly didn't look like it (rough wood, uneven metal bluing, etc). Didn't find any clearly visible wear, but wasn't able to tear it down to study either. Anyway, is this roughness normal for a brand new AK-47 or was he trying to put one over on me?
Old 02-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #42
Where the White Women At?
StZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
StZu's Tacoma Gallery
If it was a Romanian WASR then it was normal to look like that.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #43
tacotruck 2.7 is on a distinguished road

tacotruck 2.7's Tacoma Gallery
what

converted saiga 5.56x45 21" barrel tapco retractable stock 20 & 10 rd mags intrafuse ak handgaurd barska scope. 1.5 - 3" groups at 100 yards . not the most accurate but good enough for me.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #44
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
Went to a dealer today and was shown an AK-47. Dealer insisted it was new, but it certainly didn't look like it (rough wood, uneven metal bluing, etc). Didn't find any clearly visible wear, but wasn't able to tear it down to study either. Anyway, is this roughness normal for a brand new AK-47 or was he trying to put one over on me?
I think you may be happier about purchasing from a gun show, check em out

http://www.gunshowstoday.com/gun-sho...ma/Huntsville/

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=...w=1024&bih=649
Old 02-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #45
evl21 is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: B
evl21's Tacoma Gallery
I just sold mine. I wasn't going to register it and wouldn't want it if I could no longer enjoy it in its 30rd glory!! Shot up all my ammo and now its moving on to a new gun friendly state. IH8NY
Attached Thumbnails
Who has an AK (and variants)?-ak1-10-.jpg  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #46
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Love my Saiga. Great project - I converted it on my coffee table, including the use of a $40 tabletop drill press to install a bullet guide. Will chew a 3" hole out of a target at 50 yds rapid fire mag after mag. Thought about selling several times but having a rifle, 10 mags and a thousand rounds I can hand off to my bro or some other non-enthusiast in a time of crisis is invaluable. A true SHTF weapon, as simple and reliable as they come.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #47

Quote:
try centerfire systems ,russian american arms , cheaper than dirt or buds gun shop for whatever flavor amd price on a ak variant . skies the limit on how much you wana spend but i got my 5.56 saiga
and conversion right under 450 $ its solid as a rock 0 failures in apx 4000 rounds.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #48
Ragin Cajun
Plik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant future

Plik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Okay, I've read about the benefits of chrome plating. However, seems to be varying opinions about stamped versus forged (milled) receivers. Some say milled receivers are more rigid (increasing accuracy by less flex) while stamped receivers are more rugged (increasing accuracy due to lower chance of metal fatigue). Seems to be a toss up between the two.
You will pay more for a milled receiver over a stamped almost every time. It's up to you and your budget.. in the $500-$600 price range, you will be hard pressed to find a better quality AK variant.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #49
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plik View Post
You will pay more for a milled receiver over a stamped almost every time. It's up to you and your budget.. in the $500-$600 price range, you will be hard pressed to find a better quality AK variant.
The polish 1960 milled ak is dope. I know, I own one, and its on the first page.

I just wish they had chromed bores.

I'm debating meloniting the whole ak.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #50
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
At this point, I'm going to hold off on any firearm purchase. We're trying once again to purchase a house (last attempt fell through - house didn't pass VA loan inspection) and that will eat up a good chunk of our money for a few weeks. However, thanks for the advice, guys. I'll keep it in mind when I get back to this project.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #51
Taco Forum Noob
7six2Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed7six2Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed7six2Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed7six2Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed7six2Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed7six2Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed7six2Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed7six2Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed7six2Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed7six2Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed7six2Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
7six2Fan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plik View Post
My MAK 90 w/ ironwood furniture

GORGEOUS furniture!!
Old 02-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #52
Ajcmarinecorps is on a distinguished road

Marines: LCPL 1st Battalion 6th Marines
Name: Andrew
Ajcmarinecorps's Tacoma Gallery

We received AK-47's for our deployment.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #53
JRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to behold
Army: DOD Civilian
Name: Justin
JRFugitt's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone on here build theirs from an 80% stamping? I want to and will but would like some info, help do's and don'ts. I want to build two an AK47 7.62x39 and a 12 guage like the saigas from an 80% stamping. Can this be done with the 12 gauge as well. I have experience with ar's, glocks and a fully built 700 ready to tackle the ak now just don't know much about this platform. Please help and thanks mayb others will build their own and the government can't take away what they don't know you have!
Old 02-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRFugitt View Post
Anyone on here build theirs from an 80% stamping? I want to and will but would like some info, help do's and don'ts. I want to build two an AK47 7.62x39 and a 12 guage like the saigas from an 80% stamping. Can this be done with the 12 gauge as well. I have experience with ar's, glocks and a fully built 700 ready to tackle the ak now just don't know much about this platform. Please help and thanks mayb others will build their own and the government can't take away what they don't know you have!
Everything u need to know and some . Vist (the AK files ) its just lke this forum but about aks.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #55
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
My Saiga on the right - a MAK90 that I'm 922r'ing for a friend on the left.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #56
JRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to behold
^ Sweet!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotruck 2.7 View Post
Everything u need to know and some . Vist (the AK files ) its just lke this forum but about aks.
Is it a thread in Tacoma World or its own site?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #58
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, I'm surprised this thread doesn't have more hits.

In my opinion there is no advantage to owning a milled AK. They're heavier, more costly, and harder to find parts for. The AK was designed originally to have a stamped receiver, but the machinery and stuff to longer to set up so they made milled ones for a few years (Russians that is).
Old 02-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #59
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
hey guys, i have a buddy that might have to move to cali for a job, and he needs a bullet button for his RPK, will a AK BB fit?

sorry if this is a obvious answer, he and i both are new to the AK.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #60
Billyj870m9 is on a distinguished road
Billyj870m9's Tacoma Gallery
Yes a bullet button will work for the rpk. An rpk is pretty much a long barrel ak.

Also killed aks are just about better resale. As far as a fighting weapon they are heavy and now real advantage over stamped. Also they retain heat longer than a stamped gun.

Products Discussed in this Thread