1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What do you wear/bring to the range?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Konaborne, Oct 17, 2012.

?

What do you wear to shoot?

1. Tactical Clothing (5.11, Blackhawk!, etc.)

12.3%
  2. Military Uniform (ACU, ABU, MCCUU, etc.)

2.7%
  3. Normal clothes

75.3%
  4. Banana hammock, brazilian bikini, heels

23.3%
  1. Oct 17, 2012 at 1:49 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne [OP] Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    Was talking to a friend of mine, we're planning a range day when we get back to the Big Island; the topic came up of what to wear. I told him what I like to shoot in, and he questioned why I don't just shoot in normal clothes. BSing around gave me the idea for this thread

What do you guys normally wear to shoot?

I understand there's times where some of you/us/members? are in a certain loadout because of training and whatnot, but this is more directed towards your personal shooting time.

Personal tactical practice, "normal" plinking range time, what do you like to wear?

kinda an idea for this thread, you can shoot out what gear you like and why, debate the pros and cons of whatever.

This thread might work, might not; I'm bored. Lets see where this goes.

2. Oct 17, 2012 at 1:54 AM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    when I shot in high school, my coach made it mandatory for us to wear jackets and pants so that's what I got comfortable shooting in

spent a little time with the ROTC and that jacket/pants translated into liking shooting in ACU, albeit without patches.

3. Oct 17, 2012 at 2:37 AM
    NWTacoGuy

NWTacoGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Pacific North West
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Fabtech 6", xd addicts/35x11.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Black badges, Pioneer HU, 11' grille, ect ect ect....
    Cargo pants and a button down...I would just stay away from casual gear like shorts and flip flops other than that you should be fine!!

4. Oct 17, 2012 at 2:41 AM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    Ah, I realized the way I worded the OP sounded like I was asking what I should wear :rolleyes:

I meant more, what do YOU like to shoot in? :D

5. Oct 17, 2012 at 3:13 AM
    NWTacoGuy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Pacific North West
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Fabtech 6", xd addicts/35x11.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Black badges, Pioneer HU, 11' grille, ect ect ect....
    Well that is pretty much what I go shooting in....I am a contractor in the desert so I am usually in cacky cargo pants, polo or button down shirt, and boots. I tend to shoot a lot like that when I am home as well...very comfortable. If it is a little chilly out I may wear a hoodie.

6. Oct 17, 2012 at 3:53 AM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    Even though it is only security work, I still carry a firearm on duty because of the nature of the security work i do. Therfore, when I treat myself to a range day, I like to use it as a day to practice ( I guess thats the whole point of a range anyways ) But what I mean is that my company does not pay for or supply any tactical training, so I have to learn it on my own. Anyways, to cut to the point, I have always been tough to practice in what you will most likely be wearing if an actual shooting were to occur. For CCWers, this would be everydau clothing, for home defense, it could be anything from jackets and boots to completely nude. For me however, I am most likely going to be wearing my work gear if I ever have to use it. So with that said, I like to wear my duty belt, or atleast just the holster and mag pouch in the same place on the belt, and most importantly, my vest. The vest at the range is not so much for protection, but more to teach muscle memory of where it may constrict motion, if any. I just throw my vest over a t-shirt, put on my 5.11 tac pants, work boots, and partial duty belt. Works for me. Sometimes I get weird looks but I could care less what people think. When I go to the Sheriffs training center to shoot though, everyone dresses like that, so i fit in better there.

7. Oct 17, 2012 at 5:13 AM
    NWTacoGuy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Pacific North West
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road DCSB
    I wish I could do the same, I was trained by the government to fire from a concealed status and would really like to train that way. We were given 3 secs to score two hits in the kill area. The problem is my range and many like it ( in WA state) will not let you draw from a holster to shoot, they also do not tolerate double tapping. So from concealment, to 2 hits on target, and back to concealment after scanning your sector just doesn't cut it where I am from.

8. Oct 17, 2012 at 7:02 AM
    Mapcinq

Mapcinq Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Ontario, Canada
    Jeans and a t-shirt.

9. Oct 17, 2012 at 7:03 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I have some "tactical" pants that I wear. just some of the cheap cargo pants from LA police gear a t shirt and my well broken in Belleville boots.. Ill keep a spare mag in my back pocket.

For pistol I wear my IWB holster and practice drawing and shooting with that. No drop leg or OWB holsters for me as they are not what I would normally use.

[​IMG]

10. Oct 17, 2012 at 12:31 PM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    I hook MOLLE mag pouches to my belt

when I'm wearing my banana hammock

11. Oct 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM
    taco084gb

taco084gb No matter where you go there you are.

Member:
    First Name:
    Galen
    NorCal
    Usually wear cargo's and boots for the winter or cold days. Then Shorts and a shooting shirt from Cabela's for the summer.
    Pic of Trap competition shoot and our local gun club.
    [​IMG]

12. Oct 17, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    so I realized uniforms would count as tactical clothing.

oh well

13. Oct 17, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    When I am shooting its depends on what I am doing. When I shot sporting clays competitively I wore comfy hiking pants and hiking boots and a t-shirt with my vest because that is the most comfortable to me. Now when I go to a range to just plink with my AR and pistol it can be anything from flip flop and shorts to the same as above because I am not moving much plus I just like to change it up because you never know what you will be wearing when you actually need to pull your shit Depends on the application and how much movement I am doing.
    When shotgunning I ALWAYS where at least sneakers. Shorts are the latest cause it gets hot where I shoot shotguns.
    But when I know its going to be a serious competition I usually wear cargo pants, hiking boots and a t-shirt. You need to dress for success.

14. Oct 17, 2012 at 7:37 PM
    RevAdam

RevAdam Impressive Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4
    Icom 5100 radio, Baja Rack, Kenwood 6980, ARB Bull Bar, Lightforce HID lights, Warn winch, LED lights, 5100s, Switchbacks, Redarc TowPro
    I answered "Normal Clothes" as I understood just going for a pleasure shoot. For a Carbine Class I go to BDU pants and boots instead of shoes....

Otherwise, Tshirt and a ball cap (one without that damn button on top.)

15. Oct 18, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    whatever i happen to be wearing at the time.

plus hearing protection and shooting glasses. done.

16. Oct 18, 2012 at 8:49 AM
    cjasu

cjasu TW resident Camel

Member:
    First Name:
    CJ
    Buies creek NC/seminole county
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner soon to be moded
    camo seat covers
    I usually wear jeans and a t shirt or sweatshirt if its cold

17. Oct 18, 2012 at 10:07 AM
    Loudpedal

Loudpedal Mind = Blown

Member:
    First Name:
    Blair
    Not really New, not really Mexico
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5-Hole 4x4
    Andres Devil Horns, Goodyear Duratracs, Accidental Tailgate Delete (x2), Billy 5100s, OME 881 coils, Wheeler's 5-leafs, BAMF Sliders with kickouts, Box Rocket Fab Bedrack.
    Well pants certainly aren't on my list.

Option four needs to include "light coat of baby oil"

18. Oct 19, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    greased up deaf guy:eek:

19. Oct 19, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    Mapcinq

Mapcinq Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Ontario, Canada
    It would actually be pretty hilarious to see that at my range.. its indoors so it could be done.

20. Oct 19, 2012 at 1:10 PM
    SuperTacoma

SuperTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Double Cab SR5 4x4 Silver
    Depends on the place. I tend to wear Jeans or Shorts. T-Shirt with a baseball hat (ricochets), eye protection and ear protection. I take a small range bag with targets, ammo and at least 2 pistols. I also take hand wipes for the lead. I also keep gun wipes and a small thing of oil.

Products Discussed in

To Top