Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Varmint hunting caliber.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #21
When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan S.
CorrosiveTendency's Tacoma Gallery
If you want one gun that you can take any game up to whitetail deer, I would say a 243 Winchester or the 6mm Remington. Same calibers, the 6mm offers slightly better ballistics. A light weight bullet such as a 55 gr ballistic tip or even 70 gr ballistic for varmint will always get the job done, but with those velocities, you will get pas thru on yotes, especially with the 70 gr, the 55 gr V-Max or Nosler Ballistic tip may not pass thru at longer ranges. If you have a friend who handloads, you can push a 55 gr to 4000 FPS, which is super flat shooting and equally devastating on critters. Same cartridge loaded with a 100 gr soft point or GMX expanding bullet will work great on deer. I have shot many deer over the years with my 6mm and have never needed a follow up shot, or had to track more than 75 yds. I would stay away from a 22 cal rifle if you plan on hunting deer, some states allow it, but shot placement becomes a huge factor with such a small bullet. I was told by an old sportsman/reloader/hunter that a .244 and .257 caliber bullets is plenty for any game in North America except large/dangerous game. But alas, in the end, it is your choice.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #22
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Aztacoma View Post
My 17hmr gets the job done.
Mine also. I've taken a lot of big game with my .17. It's all in shot placement. I even took out a free roaming ram at 102 yards,crosswind,lung shot. Ran about 60 yards before he dropped. Anything smaller,it explodes.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #23
Got2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryder
Got2ryde's Tacoma Gallery
I bought my Savage 25-06 as a varmint gun that I could also hunt deer with a heavier load. I like the ballistics on this caliber and the Savage seems to be a solid shooting platform.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #24
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolunatic View Post
Mine also. I've taken a lot of big game with my .17. It's all in shot placement. I even took out a free roaming ram at 102 yards,crosswind,lung shot. Ran about 60 yards before he dropped. Anything smaller,it explodes.
You honestly shot a sheep with a 17HMR? Do you know how little energy that 17 gr bullet even carries at 100 yds? even the 20 gr. I have a 17 HMR and it is reserved for squirrels and chucks. Even on Chucks, headshots only. Body shots all to often result in the chuck running off.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2ryde View Post
I bought my Savage 25-06 as a varmint gun that I could also hunt deer with a heavier load. I like the ballistics on this caliber and the Savage seems to be a solid shooting platform.
Excellent cartridge. My cousin and I were shooting 10" balloons at 708 yds this summer. He was shooting a 25-06 and I had my 6mm. Only difference was my hold over was about 26" and his was about 36".
Old 10-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #26
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrosiveTendency View Post
You honestly shot a sheep with a 17HMR? Do you know how little energy that 17 gr bullet even carries at 100 yds? even the 20 gr. I have a 17 HMR and it is reserved for squirrels and chucks. Even on Chucks, headshots only. Body shots all to often result in the chuck running off.
I know what that rifle can do. That's why I took the shot. I'll use my .17 whenever possible. I have my 30-30 but I love the shot placement of the .17

You're not the first to question me,and not the last. I have several gold medal axis on the wall to prove it. And the ram took first place after I minted it myself.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #27
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
223 Rem.

Boringly accurate, bullets are cheap, little recoil, cheap brass, only ~25 gr of powder in each load, flat shooting, easy on barrels, on and on.

There are several fine choices but there are very few that do anything that the 223 Rem doesn't. I like Rem 700s but a Savage short action or Howa 1500 would so just as well. 40 or 50 gr Hornay V-max or Nosler Ballistic Tips work great on everything up to coyote size. Sight in 1" high at 100 yds and you don't need to hold over on a prairie dog until out to 300 or so.

A couple of mine in 223. Actually just sold the Howa and the Rem is now a 300 BLK...

Old 10-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #28
I owe it all to little chocolate donuts
JayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JayDirt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcountrytj View Post
243 or 22-250 (IMO) are great
22-250 with exploding tips FTW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm_qwodo3jM
Old 10-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #29
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
Dont listen to these silly folks. They dont know anything. Clearly in your situation you need atleast a .338 Lapua. or a 300 Win Mag.

But seriously, anything these guys listed are good guns. For varmint/deer hunting I would go with the .243 just because it is legal for deer in all states. It will shoot flat and far and drop a deer in its tracks with a good shot as well as allow you to hunt coyotes or groundhogs out in the hay fields at 200+ yards.

But a 223, 22-250, 243, 6mm, 270, 7mm, or 7mm mag aught to work good for your purposes
Old 10-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #30
boatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: boat coxswain,USS SIMON LAKE AS-33
Name: carl
boatswain's Tacoma Gallery
22-250 is a good choice; 25-06 is also very effective, + will do a good job on deer/antelope size game.
I use a Rem. 788, 22-250 W/55 gr.tip, for woodchuck hunting.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #31
98cbtacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Austin
98cbtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Got several to choose from, i just take which one i feel like taking haha 17hmr, 243, 300 savage, biggest being a 270. We use the last three for deer season, gonna be buying a AR-15 this week and will probably use that. just my two cents.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #32
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
.17HMR

I can generally buy a 50 rd box at gun shows for between $9.50 and $12.00, depending on manufacturer and bullet type.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_17HMR_ammo.htm

There are three major manufacturers of 17HMR rifles. Here is a good write up

http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_1...int_rifles.htm

I find my 17 a good shooter up to about 125 yards and would not hesitate in popping a coyote at that range. Just get some good glass on it and have fun!!!!
Old 10-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #33
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
back on topic..for varmint..all varmint. my personal fav is 22-250. i love that cartridge.

i would love a ruger #1, with a heavy barrel in that caliber..if you are going to step up to big game one day..maybe a 243 or a 25 cal.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #34
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
That was a complete waste of some very good bittles!
Old 10-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #36
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Ive had several .243's and its always been a great round. Deer, pigs, coyotes, prarrie dogs, armadillos and and ammo is never hard to find either.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #37
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Love my old .243. It's got many kills under it's belt; whitetail and groundhogs. I am a big fan of Weatherby also. I've got a MKV in 257 WM and it pink mists groundhogs and drops deer where they stand but the ammo cost is not practical (Reload FTW). If I'd want a new varmit rifle, I'd go for a Vanguard Varmint Special in .223 or 22-250.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #38
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CowboyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
im going to support the .243 movement to answer this question. you'll have enough stopping power for larger targets like a coyote or hog.

otherwise id get something in 5.56/.223 so that you only have to purchase one type of ammo.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolunatic View Post
I know what that rifle can do. That's why I took the shot. I'll use my .17 whenever possible. I have my 30-30 but I love the shot placement of the .17

You're not the first to question me,and not the last. I have several gold medal axis on the wall to prove it. And the ram took first place after I minted it myself.
I personally wouldn't ever attempt to shoot anything larger than a chuck with the 17 HMR. The bullets are designed to fragment upon impact, not penetrate deeply enough for larger game. The 17 carries a mere 135 lb/ft of energy at 100 yds. Can it be done? Sure. Ethically speaking, should it? Not so much. To each their own, I suppose.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruler View Post
what kind of caliber you folks recommends for human hunting?
Human hunting is illegal. "Surviving the Game" was only a movie. haha