Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Varmint hunting caliber.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #61
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdmac View Post
I bet a lot more states will start doing that. In VA they only recently made it illegal to shoot deer with less than .243. And even that has to well-placed on a big deer, or you're gonna have to go find it. Someone mentioned 25-06 earlier, I think if you don't shoot anything bigger than deer, and can only have one gun, that might be it. 270 is too big for varmint IMO.
Every shot has to be well-placed.
Gut-shots with 300WinMag are not going to be recovered the same day.
Coyotes shot with a .17HMR are not likely to be clean kills and I owe the animal better than that.
In re Howa 1500 with 1/12, you are severly limited to light bullets with that barrel and in wind country, it's going to really drift.
I shoot 77gr MatchKings and they are absolutely dead accurate.
.243Win is the best compromise cartridge.
the 'X51 case is the most efficient, accurate design in standard production.