Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Varmint hunting caliber.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
meeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

meeestirg's Tacoma Gallery
Varmint hunting caliber.

i'm planning on getting my Hunting license soon. i would like to buy a bolt action rifle. what is a universal caliber to shoot varmint? my next question would be whats a good rifle? i assume the biggest varmint is coyote, correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
for coyote. a 243 is pretty good i think. i have seen a lot of people use that for them.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
.223 is a good all around varmint caliber. The rifle, sorta depends on your budget. Don't forget glass, a good rule of thumb is, to spend as much on the scope as spent on the gun.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
jkulysses is on a distinguished road
Army: 1-41 Infantry Battalion (Straight and Stalwart)
Name: Jake
jkulysses's Tacoma Gallery
A .243 is what I like to use for deer lol. I would just get a .223 or smaller for varmits. I really like a .22 mag until you get up to coyote sized stuff.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
meeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO721 View Post
for coyote. a 243 is pretty good i think. i have seen a lot of people use that for them.
what is the biggest thing a .243 will take out?
Old 10-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkulysses View Post
A .243 is what I like to use for deer lol. I would just get a .223 or smaller for varmits. I really like a .22 mag until you get up to coyote sized stuff.
oh yeah i know, i have an AR already, but its set up for run&gun. whats a good bolt gun/caliber? rem700?
Old 10-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
05Aztacoma's Tacoma Gallery
My 17hmr gets the job done.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeestirg View Post
I've killed many deer with a .243

I'd like to have a .22-250 for varmints. Currently I use my AR (.223) but will be switching it over to .204 in the next few months.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
idk. i have shot a doe with it. field dressed she was 97lbs, so alive and with guts she was close to 110 or 115 probably. it will take down something even bigger as well.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #10
jkulysses is on a distinguished road
Army: 1-41 Infantry Battalion (Straight and Stalwart)
Name: Jake
jkulysses's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
oh yeah i know, i have an AR already, but its set up for run&gun. whats a good bolt gun/caliber? rem700?
A couple of my friends have Savage bolt actions chambered n .223 and they really like them. One of them has taken several deer with it. It isn't legal to hunt deer in every state with that caliber though. Since you already have an AR you wouldn't be buying multiple calibers of ammo which is always a plus in my opinion.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #11
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
.204 Ruger
Old 10-27-2012, 11:40 PM   #12
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i got a doe a couple years ago and dressed she was about 110-115 lbs.
doesn't really answer you're question but the biggest animal I would be comfortable taking with a 243 would be a average size whitetail.

and to answer your original question .223 is the most common (as far as going to wal-mart and them having ammo for it) calibre. IMO you could go 2 ways.

1. get a different upper for your AR, something more for accuracy, distance, and for a specific weight bullet,(taking into account the barrel twist. and getting a good quality scope to put on top. OR
2. a good bolt gun (savage remmington ruger ect.) in the calibre you choose and a good scope.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #13
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
270 boat tail.....
Old 10-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Aztacoma View Post
yeah i was thinking about this caliber, without ever shooting one, i thought the bullet was too small. yes i know its all about shot placement too. what does it cost per round by the way?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
i got a doe a couple years ago and dressed she was about 110-115 lbs.
doesn't really answer you're question but the biggest animal I would be comfortable taking with a 243 would be a average size whitetail.

and to answer your original question .223 is the most common (as far as going to wal-mart and them having ammo for it) calibre. IMO you could go 2 ways.

1. get a different upper for your AR, something more for accuracy, distance, and for a specific weight bullet,(taking into account the barrel twist. and getting a good quality scope to put on top. OR
2. a good bolt gun (savage remmington ruger ect.) in the calibre you choose and a good scope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkulysses View Post
A couple of my friends have Savage bolt actions chambered n .223 and they really like them. One of them has taken several deer with it. It isn't legal to hunt deer in every state with that caliber though. Since you already have an AR you wouldn't be buying multiple calibers of ammo which is always a plus in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy18 View Post
I've killed many deer with a .243

I'd like to have a .22-250 for varmints. Currently I use my AR (.223) but will be switching it over to .204 in the next few months.
i was at a shitty gun show yesterday but i did run into a older man claiming to be the former president of the Victorville varmint hunters club. he said he only used 3 calibers. .22-250, .223, and .243. i asked him which is the best he said they are all great, they shoot straight and fly far. after doing some looking around i found that .243 has the heavier bullet so i think out of the 3 calibers i think i would like the .243. IF it's a pain to find ammo or a gun for it i will stick to just buying a long distance AR upper chambered in 5.56/.223 and use the heaviest bullet i can find.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.sight.picture View Post
270 boat tail.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Aztacoma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkofwimbo View Post
.204 Ruger
i will have to look into these rounds. thanks for the opinions. (:
Old 10-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #17
lowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Phillip
lowcountrytj's Tacoma Gallery
243 or 22-250 (IMO) are great
Old 10-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #18
AcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the rough
Name: Vince
AcadianTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A friend of mine shoot a moose with a 243 two years ago. I wouldn't go hunting moose with such a small caliber myself, but he got the job done. It must have been a well placed shoot.

For varmint I like my 22-250.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #19
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
I hunted everything with a savage model 10 in 243(pre accutrigger), but went up to a Remington 700 AAC SD in 308. I also re-bareled my savage with a 24'' 308 heavy bbl. My wife uses a Mauser 98 sporterized in 308. I love 308 and shoot sub moa with 168 gr black hills and federal gold metal match BTHP. I have a Remington 798 in 375 H&H that I plan on using more. Make sure you get good glass on your rifle. Experiment with different ammo to see what shoots best out of your rifle. Also make sure you get a caliber you can afford to shoot it. My 375 doesn't let the animal suffer, but my pocket sure suffers
Old 10-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #20
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
.243 is a good all around caliber, just depends on the actual bullet being used and the job intended to do. You can get very light bullets for varmint or heavier bullets for deer. 22-250 to me is overrated. The barrels for them are only have twist rates for light bullets which means they dont usually shoot heavier bullets very well. Sheds its velocity very fast. I think if you have a AR then maybe the .243win would be a good bolt gun caliber to have, and ammo is available anywhere. I personally use a savage mod 10 predator in .223 w/ nikon 4.5-14 scope. With 55gr bullets its super accurate out to 300yds. I also use my Ruger hawkeye in 7mm-08.