Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Flashlights

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #21
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXPROMAN View Post
I get them from ebay. You find alot of them on there. Not bad on price!
ebay is not readily avail in an emergency situation

i prefer having batteries i can find in any store

we all know that shit happens...i prefer the idea that the solution for the proverbial shit be as easy as possible...and in my mind...it's easier to deal with shorter run times than to mail order batteries and have to worry that if my stash runs out during an emergency...i'm SOL
Old 11-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #22
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
also for reference, I keep a streamlight stinger LED rechargeable, a surefire 9P cr123 and a streamlight stylus pro (AAA) in my patrol car

the surefire is actually my last choice in terms of runtime and usable light
Old 11-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #23
TXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the rough

Name: Martin
TXPROMAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
also for reference, I keep a streamlight stinger LED rechargeable, a surefire 9P cr123 and a streamlight stylus pro (AAA) in my patrol car

the surefire is actually my last choice in terms of runtime and usable light
The light I use is a Led Lenser T7 that I keep with me. And I hear on the ebay deal. I buy them a case at a time. Just like my AAA , AA and D's
Old 11-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #24
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
my 16 year old polystinger finally died. bummed. i used it everyday for the past 8 years...night dog walks, running off racoons. the button was worn thru!! damn, that thing WAS dependable. the new stingers dont have the best online reviews.

need a new rechargable home flashlight for about $120..any ideas?

so much has changed.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #25
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
my 16 year old polystinger finally died. bummed. i used it everyday for the past 8 years...night dog walks, running off racoons. the button was worn thru!! damn, that thing WAS dependable. the new stingers dont have the best online reviews.

need a new rechargable home flashlight for about $120..any ideas?

so much has changed.
rigid industries halo check it out. amazon has it for less than 80 bucks
Old 01-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #26
Skimafia is on a distinguished road
Skimafia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GTacoma View Post
rigid industries halo check it out. amazon has it for less than 80 bucks
I took your recommendation and Santa brought me one for Christmas. Its a bad ass little light. Thanks for the lead!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #27
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
the thing about the CR123 batteries is the 14 year shelf life.. that is hard to beat.. you can leave them in your truck or on the shelf at home for YEARS and they are still good.. not the case with AA or AAA .. I bought the Costco 3 pack AA tac light.. its pretty good.. but reviews are so so.. and the lens is cheap. I wouldnt depend on it..
Old 01-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #28
Failure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
Failure2Comply's Tacoma Gallery
This is a nice AA flashlight, I use it daily for work and it has held up well. Here is a listing for it. The picture shows the old design but that model number ships as the newer design.

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-71...streamlight+jr

this is the newer shape...

http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/pro...t.html?pid=101
Old 01-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #29
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
the thing about the CR123 batteries is the 14 year shelf life.. that is hard to beat.. you can leave them in your truck or on the shelf at home for YEARS and they are still good.. no the case with AA or AAA .. I bought the Costco 3 pack tac light.. its pretty good.. but reviews are so so.. and the lens is cheap. I wouldnt depend on it..

this ^

for something stuffed in a truck, where it can be 140+ in the sun and
-20 in the winter,

cr123 lithiums usually sit there, and deal with it with no problems.
fill flashlight with them, hide in truck, forget about it. come back
10 years later, flashlight is OK and likely works fine

alkalines will split and leak under those conditions eventually, ruining your light
unless you keep checking it

aaa and aa sized 1.5 volt lithiums are preferable to alkalines, for those
who want to keep aa and aaa sized lights around....

-----
I am pretty in tune with the latest flashlight technology and custom flashlights
and have a variety of aa, aaa, cr123, rcr123, 18650 powered lights. cannot have enough.
I also have 10180 and 10220 powered keychain lights on me all the time. at any moment have
at least 5 lights if I am in one of my vehicles. always have 2 lights on me keychain (nice custom 44DD and a photon II)
yes I am nutty, but hey....I never need help in the dark either

in each my vehicles I always have 3 lights...a cheapo AAA headlamp, a NICE fenix e11 AA, and something
loaded with 2xcr123 or 4xcr123 (and always have 4 extra cr123 banging around too)

no way will I ever be without at least 2 hours of light if I need it. even if the alkaline lights go to crap, I have the lithiums

I keep: fenix e11, [novatac storm or thrunite TN11 or Klarus XT11], and cheap brinkman headlamps in all my rigs.

and to top it off, over and above all that, usually if going more than 40 miles from home I stick
my McGizmo Haiku XML 1xcr123 high-cri in my pocket too....[yes I have a problem]
Old 01-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #30
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Commenting on the battery types, I think the long life is a lot due to how the LEDs work. Full brightness until the battery is dead and can't turn on the diode any more.

I had an older D cell maglight that the batteries were very weak already, dim yellow light only. I put an LED conversion bulb into it and voilla blinding white light again even with the weak batteries.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #31
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
Commenting on the battery types, I think the long life is a lot due to how the LEDs work. Full brightness until the battery is dead and can't turn on the diode any more.

I had an older D cell maglight that the batteries were very weak already, dim yellow light only. I put an LED conversion bulb into it and voilla blinding white light again even with the weak batteries.
We are talking about storage life here, and being stable. Led's no doubt have increased battery life. But aaa and aa do not stay stable like the cr123.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #32
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Patiently awaiting delivery of my Thrunite Catapult V3

Old 01-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #33
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkofwimbo View Post
Patiently awaiting delivery of my Thrunite Catapult V3

now that is a proper flashlight
Old 01-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #34
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
now that is a proper flashlight
I'm pretty excited, major upgrade from my Sure-Fire G3
Old 01-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #35
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a big fan of the Surefire E1B. One CR123 and it sips batteries at the low setting. No crazy strobe or SOS, just hi then low with the tailcap. I have one and will probably buy another as a backup backup soon.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:45 AM   #36
jaeforceone is on a distinguished road

Name: Jae
jaeforceone's Tacoma Gallery
got the preon p2 during their winter sale last year. use it for work. Every year on black friday, lowes sells 2D LED maglights for 15 bucks. can't beat it and I always buy a few to store around the house and for vehicles.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:46 AM   #37
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
That's a serious necro-bump, but since it has been bumped I'll add that Fenix has really stepped up their game. What started as a company to take advantage of cheap & bright Chinese tech has turned into a legit company with good customer service and really good quality for the money. I have a TK22 that is incredible, and they have enough variety in their ~$40 lights to satisfy anyone' size/battery format/output preferences.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #38
tazbigdog is on a distinguished road

tazbigdog's Tacoma Gallery
Surefire for hand, streamlight for firearms.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #39
Petrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
I favor the high quality LED lights that utilize a standard battery. It's true that the CR123 lithium batteries have a long shelf life and tremendous powder output (for a short time!) but they also have some real world drawbacks. The CR123 battery is expensive and they are not readily available. Yes, you can order them and find them in some special locations. The chances of finding AAA, AA, C or D cells in a local store is far greater than finding the ninja batteries. The Lithium batteries also fail quickly when they die.
I've used both and have the ability to use some high quality, high output lights for free but I prefer high reliability over high output.

As Tigerfan00 said, "ebay is not readily avail in an emergency situation

I prefer having batteries I can find in any store"

That makes good sense.

The LED Lenser models that utilize regular batteries are far more reliable than most of the high power, super-slick ninja "Tactical" lights that the Delta Force/SEAL team Wanna-be's gravitate towards.
Rechargeable lights are my choice when I have to use a flashlight every day and well made conventional flashlights are my choice for emergency lights. I'm not convinced that the CR123 battery is really any better in the real world than conventional batteries; and I've used both types, A LOT.
When you need a flashlight, you need one that works way more than you need one that will illuminate the far side of the moon. I've carried a Coast LED Lenser for well over 10 years and it's never failed. That light has a single high output LED powered by 3 AAA batteries in a waterproof body. If you really want to spend $100 + on a light that is half as dependable - go right ahead. Yea, my little light isn't very cool but I bet it will work!
Old 09-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #40
Bad Spuller

^ in an emergency situation like a storm or other natural disaster batteries are the first thing to sell out. So i buy cr123 in bulk.. Keep them in several areas. And dont worry abou them. Yea. Maybe in a real world setting alkeline batteries are better.. But when shit hits the fan. Both will be hard to find. And i can buy a ton of cr123 an they will store for a long time. So ill be good.. Will you?

Ps. No doubt led lenser is a tough flashlight. I dropped mine off our dock in pa in november. Wasnt worth diving 8 feet in the cold to get. Winter came, lake iced over. The. Spring and finally summer. Dove down, grabbed my light, brought it up.. Still worked

Products Discussed in this Thread