Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Flashlights

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
Flashlights

So I have a cheap AA mag light that is led...ive been wanting to move up and get something that has more modes and foursevens is having a sale on two of their lights right now for 50% off... http://www.4sevens.com/october_29_2012.html they are based here in GA so i figured id give them a try since the price was nice

i picked up this one for 37$ shipped http://www.foursevens.com/product_in...oducts_id=1916

Quote:
Overview / Main Features
Power: Two CR123A Batteries (3.0V~9.0V)

Output: Maximum - 230 lumens; Moonlight - 0.2 lumens

Runtime: Maximum - 1.8 hours; Moonlight - 30 days

Strobe: Strobe, S.O.S., and Beacon flash modes

Specifications
Powered by: 2 CR123A batteries (included)
LED Emitter: Premium Cree XP-G R5
Voltage range: 3.0V ~ 9.0V
Dimensions
Length: 4.9 inches
Diameter (Body): 0.86 inches
Diameter (Head): 1.2 inches
Weight: 2.8 ounces
5 Current Regulated Output Levels
3 Flash modes: Strobe, SOS, Beacon
Momentary Activation
Level Memorization
Square threads for lifetime smooth operation
Type III Hard Anodized finish
Fully knurled
Removable Clip
Flexible & secure hand grip accessory
IPX-8 Waterproofing
Impact-resistant glass lens with Dual-coating - sapphire coating on the outside and anti-reflective coating on the inside for optimal efficiency and durability.
Reflector: Highly polished smooth reflector
T-6061 Aircraft-grade Aluminum Body
Reverse-polarity protection
Included accessories: Two 4Sevens CR123A batteries, lanyard, holster, hand-grip, spare o-rings, instruction manual.
Typical Output Levels and Runtimes + (LED drive current)

Moonlight: 0.2 lumens for 30 days, (1ma)
Low: 4 lumens for 5 days (10ma)
Medium: 22 lumens for 20 hours (50ma)
High: 85 lumens for 4.5 hours (250ma)
Max: 230 lumens for 1.8 hours (990ma)
Strobe: 230 lumens for 3 hours
Beacon: 0-230 lumens pulse for 23 hours
Old 10-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
You didn't say what you will use it for.

Go to Costco and buy their little LED taclites....3 for $20.
I will not buy another CR123 light.
I am paring down all my electronics to use either AA or AAA batteries so I don't have to carry or buy more battery types.
I have had two of the Costco lights and they're great little lights.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
And CR123 batteries are expensive and can sometimes be a pain to find
Old 10-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
CR123 batteries are expensive..BUT they are the superior battery for your emergency flashlight. i had one in my truck for 3 years, and it is still as bright as the day i loaded up the new cells, and tossed it into my center console.

just last week, i went thru the garage, wife's car...kitchen and tossed out every alkaline battery flashlight i own..they all leaked!! 100%

i use the new AA flashlights for hunting and stuff..my CR123 batteries are for emergencies.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
cr123 batteries are 1 dollar a piece on amazon/ebay...the light will replace my led mag light that i carry pretty much everyday
Old 11-04-2012, 12:00 AM   #7
762NateOh is on a distinguished road
Name: Nate
762NateOh's Tacoma Gallery
Ever since I found the Fenix LD20, I've really fallen in love with it.

I didn't know what to think about Fenix quality, but this one has held up to my EDC quite well.

Its thin, takes 2 AA's, and has 4 different lumen settings as well as SOS and strobe.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. DTOM
xaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zac
xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762NateOh View Post
Ever since I found the Fenix LD20, I've really fallen in love with it.

I didn't know what to think about Fenix quality, but this one has held up to my EDC quite well.

Its thin, takes 2 AA's, and has 4 different lumen settings as well as SOS and strobe.
I actually just got my Olight to replace that exact light...it started flickering in high mode (on new AND old batteries) so I figured it was time for a switch. But don't get me wrong...that's a great light and it lasted me a very long time!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
My progeny will be awesome!
ChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
ChewbacaTW's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmodel65 View Post
cr123 batteries are 1 dollar a piece on amazon/ebay...the light will replace my led mag light that i carry pretty much everyday
Since it'll be you edc, i suggest you go with something a bit smaller with batteries that are more redily available.

If you insist on 4sevens I suggest a preon2 with a clicky top and some AAA lithium batteries.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Thats a good light! As for the 123 batts., you shouldnt have a problem with them. One of my lights is going on year 6 with the same 123 batts in it, and about 2 hours on time. Still bright as hell!
Old 11-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
take a look at Rigid Industries Halo light. 800 lumens. I bought one and love it. Bought it from amazon for 82 dollars to my front door. I wanted one for the fire dept. When I run calls at night. Also has a strobe functions for getting traffics attention. The light is insanely bright. At night I can ride down the roads and spot light deer with it.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #12
Yukon Cornelius
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewbacaTW View Post
Since it'll be you edc, i suggest you go with something a bit smaller with batteries that are more redily available.

If you insist on 4sevens I suggest a preon2 with a clicky top and some AAA lithium batteries.

ok but is that 37$ shipped to my door? also this light i got is small imho...im using the holster that came with it and its got a large loop and i just angled it so its nearly horizontal on my waist like im not carrying anything
Old 11-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
I've standardized as well, to CR123s.

Surefire G2 LED
Surefire G2X Tactical
Surefire E1B
Streamlight TLR-1

I like them simple - one or two levels, no strobe, no SOS. Especially since several of them are mounted to guns.

For a cheaper compact light, I think the Streamlight Protac 1L looks interesting.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #14
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
CR123 batteries are expensive..BUT they are the superior battery for your emergency flashlight. i had one in my truck for 3 years, and it is still as bright as the day i loaded up the new cells, and tossed it into my center console.

just last week, i went thru the garage, wife's car...kitchen and tossed out every alkaline battery flashlight i own..they all leaked!! 100%

i use the new AA flashlights for hunting and stuff..my CR123 batteries are for emergencies.
CR123's are as bright as the day you loaded new cells until about 10 seconds before failure. You get no warning they're dying.
I'll take cheaper, more available AA's and AAA's.
I'm simplifying my gear so I don't have to carry as many types of spares.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #15
Skimafia is on a distinguished road
Skimafia's Tacoma Gallery
I am looking for a good flashlight at the moment as well. I am going back and forth between a tactical type flashlight and a headlamp. Any input?

I am thinking it will be a christmas present to myself. I just want to have a good standby light. I really like the performance of the Fenix TK40 Flashlight and it runs on AA.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #16
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimafia View Post
I am looking for a good flashlight at the moment as well. I am going back and forth between a tactical type flashlight and a headlamp. Any input?

I am thinking it will be a christmas present to myself. I just want to have a good standby light. I really like the performance of the Fenix TK40 Flashlight and it runs on AA.

check into the Rigid Industries Halo Torch it is extremely bright for its size.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:14 AM   #17
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Streamlight stinger led. The new ones are 350 lumens... Rechargeable too. I own about 7 streamlights. 6 stingers and 1 nano light.

Headlamp wise for skimafia go to home depot and get the rayovac indestructible headlamp. It claims 100 lumens. Id guess more like 80... 12.99 it's pretty good.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #18
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Or stay cheap like me, buy a CREE bulb for your AA Mag, and if you want 'tactical' functions, get the aftermarket end switches. The 20 dollar CREE bulbs make the AA mag as bright as a surefire, but drains the batteries equally as fast so have some spares.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #19
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Olight T25, 250 lumens, about the limit of what 2x AA batteries can provide.

Olight also makes an S65 with 700 lumens, using 6 AA batteries:

Old 11-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #20
TXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the rough

Name: Martin
TXPROMAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
And CR123 batteries are expensive and can sometimes be a pain to find
I get them from ebay. You find alot of them on there. Not bad on price!

Products Discussed in this Thread